The Science of Fasting (13 Viewers)

I listened to this a while back and forgot to post (or maybe posted it and forgot i did). Anyway, it's an interesting story that describes the interactions of overfeeding with a mixed diet. If I understand properly the main reason that you lose weight going to a low carb diet is only the calorie restriction. Since you aren't overfeeding as much, you are burning more fat rather than storing it.
Diet gurus have been touting calorie in/calorie out since forever as if that's meaningful .... and yet, those who struggle with weight continue to struggle. Biology is biology but people need practical solutions; so to me, the argument about CICO is moot.
For the person whose weight is a constant battle, they are NOT going to count calories their entire life. It's just an untenable way to live your life. The trick is to find the "technique" you can incorporate seamlessly into your lifestyle without becoming obsessed about food.

Once I caught onto low carb, it made me re-think things like how much bread I ate. For instance, I love bread but when I think of it as merely a "meat holder", well, there's a LOT of bread that I can cut out that I don't even miss that we eat just because of convenience and gives us very little nutritional payoff: Those stale hamburger buns, tasteless wheat bread, bland pizza dough. If I want to lose weight, I have to go WAY beyond that; but I can easily maintain by just "little" things like that.

Anyway, I don't like to waste time or effort on the scientific/academic argument of caloric energy, I'd rather focus on ways to turn what I've learned into improving my eating habits.

I've been doing 22 hours fasts a couple of times a week for the past two months. Combined with hitting the gym three times a week for about 6 hours of relatively intense workouts, I have lost over 10 lbs of weight and put on some muscle (so I'm probably 12-15 lbs down on fat). It's been working well and the fasting hasn't impacted my workouts at all. I usually will fast from breakfast the day before my scheduled workout until breakfast the morning of.

So, this week I decided to go for a 36 hour fast. Worked out on Monday and had all of my meals. I hit the start button at 7 PM on Monday night and fasted until 7 AM this morning. Honestly it wasn't that difficult. I don't seem to experience intense hunger feelings. Mainly it's a constant desire for food that is probably more mental than physical. So, this morning I ate a little more than my usual breakfast, but nothing crazy. Made sure I also hydrated. But today my workout was definitely impacted by the fast. I usually start with about 25 minutes of relatively strenuous cardio. I had to call it off around the half way mark because my legs started cramping. Haven't experienced that to this point with the 23 hour fasts. I also didn't feel quite as energetic when lifting and have had a few more slight cramps in my arms this afternoon. I am going to try a 36 hour fast at least one more time to make sure this isn't all a coincidence, but if it happens again I'll be backing off to the shorter ones.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, did you figure out a remedy? Thanks!

Last edited:
I've been doing 22 hours fasts a couple of times a week for the past two months. Combined with hitting the gym three times a week for about 6 hours of relatively intense workouts, I have lost over 10 lbs of weight and put on some muscle (so I'm probably 12-15 lbs down on fat). It's been working well and the fasting hasn't impacted my workouts at all. I usually will fast from breakfast the day before my scheduled workout until breakfast the morning of.

So, this week I decided to go for a 36 hour fast. Worked out on Monday and had all of my meals. I hit the start button at 7 PM on Monday night and fasted until 7 AM this morning. Honestly it wasn't that difficult. I don't seem to experience intense hunger feelings. Mainly it's a constant desire for food that is probably more mental than physical. So, this morning I ate a little more than my usual breakfast this morning, but nothing crazy. Made sure I also hydrated. But today my workout was definitely impacted by the fast. I usually start with about 25 minutes of relatively strenuous cardio. I had to call it off around the half way mark because my legs started cramping. Haven't experienced that to this point with the 23 hour fasts. I also didn't feel quite as energetic when lifting and have had a few more slight cramps in my arms this afternoon. I am going to try a 36 hour fast at least one more time to make sure this isn't all a coincidence, but if it happens again I'll be backing off to the shorter ones.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, did you figure out a remedy? Thanks!
My only concern would be the lack of hydration, but sounds like you had that under control. The Intermittent Fasting group on facebook led me to magnesium supplements during long fasts. Maybe you need some potassium too as you could be running out without the nutrients.

Another possibility that I've read about is using bone broth. While they do have some calories, they are generally very light and won't take you out of ketosis while providing a good source of needed nutrients.

If you aren't a member, I'd recommend the intermittent fasting FB group. You'd get a much larger sample of folks who are a lot more dedicated to working out than I am.

So, this week I decided to go for a 36 hour fast. Worked out on Monday and had all of my meals. I hit the start button at 7 PM on Monday night and fasted until 7 AM this morning. Honestly it wasn't that difficult. I don't seem to experience intense hunger feelings. Mainly it's a constant desire for food that is probably more mental than physical. So, this morning I ate a little more than my usual breakfast this morning, but nothing crazy. Made sure I also hydrated. But today my workout was definitely impacted by the fast. I usually start with about 25 minutes of relatively strenuous cardio. I had to call it off around the half way mark because my legs started cramping. Haven't experienced that to this point with the 23 hour fasts. I also didn't feel quite as energetic when lifting and have had a few more slight cramps in my arms this afternoon. I am going to try a 36 hour fast at least one more time to make sure this isn't all a coincidence, but if it happens again I'll be backing off to the shorter ones.

I do a similar 22 hour fast a few times a week. I dropped every bit of extra I had by doing this 4 or 5 times a week and have maintained keeping it level by doing it 2 or 3 times at most a week. I feel I could do more but I have never been clear on what I would be gaining by doing a longer fast. I have kept my weight where I want it for about 6 months with the current plan and I don't have hunger issues. I feel so much better.

My only concern would be the lack of hydration, but sounds like you had that under control. The Intermittent Fasting group on facebook led me to magnesium supplements during long fasts. Maybe you need some potassium too as you could be running out without the nutrients.

Another possibility that I've read about is using bone broth. While they do have some calories, they are generally very light and won't take you out of ketosis while providing a good source of needed nutrients.

If you aren't a member, I'd recommend the intermittent fasting FB group. You'd get a much larger sample of folks who are a lot more dedicated to working out than I am.

Thanks for the lead. I'll check that out.

That's an excellent group. But they don't typically recommend extended fasts, nothing past 20 hours or so. They're more focused on improving body composition and don't want to risk lean tissue loss.

Aha!

Image result for aha band gif

Fasting for Ash Wednesday, not only for the religious angle but to give me extra motivation to go beyond the 18-hour mark which is where I falter. Nothing but water since dinner last night so I'm about to my "danger zone". I am drinking a LOT of water, so get out of my way.

Fasting for Ash Wednesday, not only for the religious angle but to give me extra motivation to go beyond the 18-hour mark which is where I falter. Nothing but water since dinner last night so I'm about to my "danger zone". I am drinking a LOT of water, so get out of my way.

How do you do with caffeine? I've found that caffeine helps to curb my appetite when I've wanted to do longer fasts.

How do you do with caffeine? I've found that caffeine helps to curb my appetite when I've wanted to do longer fasts.
Well, actually, today I decided to go de-caf. Just felt like the thing to do. But, yes, coffee usually does help. Of course, it helps me in spending more time in the restroom.

I just had someone remind me of pickle juice. I'm gonna try that -- if I can find a store that carries just the pickle juice -- but I don't expect I'll be able to without holding my nose and gagging, so I don't know if I could keep it up. Though, I HAVE already learned to do ACV water which I never thought I could.

Well, actually, today I decided to go de-caf. Just felt like the thing to do. But, yes, coffee usually does help. Of course, it helps me in spending more time in the restroom.

I just had someone remind me of pickle juice. I'm gonna try that -- if I can find a store that carries just the pickle juice -- but I don't expect I'll be able to without holding my nose and gagging, so I don't know if I could keep it up. Though, I HAVE already learned to do ACV water which I never thought I could.

Pretty sure Walmart usually carries pickle pops, sometimes in the not frozen form.

what is ACV water and what is the benifits of that and pickle juice. I drink tea without anything in it, coffee and Bubbly waters all day and I do not struggle when I am on my fasts at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom