The Science of Fasting (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
Happened upon this documentary and have worked my way up to being able to fast for 2-3 days out of the week. Initially, it was difficult to get past those 'hunger pangs', but that gets easier as you learn to just fill yourself with water until they go away.

I do see the higher energy, better mood, and managed to drop 4 lb's over the holidays. I'd definitely recommend the show and the fasting. Especially to anyone who needs chemo.

Beast

Former Camp Beast
Reaction score
It wasn't easy but I did it! Seven days + 2hours. I broke my fast last night. Hardest times were going to the Cajuns game on Saturday and the Saints game on Sunday. The end of the fast weighing was a loss of 12 pounds. That won't keep, of course, but I have a better base weight going into the holidays. I don't see myself doing that again, but I may try some modified, less strenuous, fasts in the future.
You might want to consider intermittent fasting, just reducing your eating window each day. Lots of people do OMAD (one meal a day) or TMAD (two meals a day) and by having the tightened window (4 - 6 hours), it makes it easier to restrict calories. It's much more sustainable than extended fasting. And now that you're likely in ketosis, it should be easier as well.

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Keeping it off has always been my problem. I lost 60 lbs a few years ago and put it all back on. I can lose chunks but it comes back

OP
OP
Tapxe
Reaction score
Keeping it off has always been my problem. I lost 60 lbs a few years ago and put it all back on. I can lose chunks but it comes back
Sounds like you just need to fast more regularly in order to reduce your overall intake. The OMAD or TMAD options even if just a few days a week might work for you.

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You might want to consider intermittent fasting, just reducing your eating window each day. Lots of people do OMAD (one meal a day) or TMAD (two meals a day) and by having the tightened window (4 - 6 hours), it makes it easier to restrict calories. It's much more sustainable than extended fasting. And now that you're likely in ketosis, it should be easier as well.
I'm pretty much a TMAD person already. I rarely eat breakfast. I think this is why I was able to dive into an extended fast. My next extended fast may be just celery, lettuce, nuts - just something to gnaw on.

OP
OP
Tapxe
Reaction score
Just read today...

Based on this, researchers from the University of Alabama conducted a study with a small group of obese men with prediabetes. They compared a form of intermittent fasting called “early time-restricted feeding,” where all meals were fit into an early eight-hour period of the day (7 am to 3 pm), or spread out over 12 hours (between 7 am and 7 pm). Both groups maintained their weight (did not gain or lose) but after five weeks, the eight-hours group had dramatically lower insulin levels and significantly improved insulin sensitivity, as well as significantly lower blood pressure. The best part? The eight-hours group also had significantly decreased appetite. They weren’t starving.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/intermittent-fasting-surprising-update-2018062914156

OP
OP
Tapxe
Reaction score
That's interesting. So, if I shoot for a window from 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM, would drinking an unsweet tea or black coffee be advised prior to the 11:00 meal?
If I'm reading that right, then you'd want an earlier window of only 8 hours with the benefit being less hunger and lower insulin. I don't see why the time would make a difference as much as the window size and calories. Maybe they just didn't feel as hungry because they were tired.

I'm hearing the recommendation is to drink water before coffee or tea as those are diuretics. I don't think there's enough calories to worry about if you don't sweeten or cream them.

Beast

Former Camp Beast
Reaction score
That's interesting. So, if I shoot for a window from 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM, would drinking an unsweet tea or black coffee be advised prior to the 11:00 meal?
Caffeine is an appetite suppressant. Typically what I've done is start my fast the evening before (following dinner). Go to bed, wake up and have some black coffee (stevia is ok in it as it doesn't have calories or produce the response sugar does) or an energy drink (Monster, Bang, etc). Bang was really effective for me, but they're also 300 mg of caffeine in a can (2x Monster). Just depends on your caffeine sensitivity. This helps sustain the fast through to your next eating window.

If you're looking for increased fat loss, you can also read up on the Protein Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF). This can be incorporated with intermittent fasting. Best advice is to buy Lyle McDonald's e-book on it and read it. Basically it's a ton of protein and next to no carbs or fat each day, aside from essential fats from omega-3 pills. But it's a way to maintain lean tissue (skeletal muscle, etc) while also ramping up your fat loss potential.

OP
OP
Tapxe
Reaction score
I've not been doing well over the holidays mostly due to increased alcohol consumption. I've managed to add about 10# from my lowest.

Started back a couple days ago and have already dropped a couple.

Anyway, came to post this for digestion.

https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/calorie-restriction-and-fasting-diets-what-do-we-know

The study was designed to have participants in the experimental group eat 25 percent fewer calories per day than they had regularly consumed before the study. Although they did not meet this target, they reduced their daily caloric intake by 12 percent and maintained, on average, a 10 percent loss in body weight over 2 years. A follow-up study 2 years after the intervention ended found that participants had sustained much of this weight loss.
Interesting note in there was about the thermal regulation. I think I'm having some issues there or maybe the blasted thermostat is busted in here again.

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sooooooo glad to be back in New Orleans!!!!!
I wrote a book on Prayer and Fasting because of the dearth of info on the subject at the time (started writing it in 1992; finished 13 yrs later in 2005).

Book isn't that long (<120 pages), but I there's an intersting chapter about Physical and Physiological considerations for fasting. It's in paperback, and in eBook form.

The following link will give you a free look at Chapter 1 in its entirety:

PM me for more info or questions. :scratch:

Cover.JPG

TenTwo

Are you touched in the head or something?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
From Dr. Jason Fung

https://idmprogram.com/fasting-and-muscle-mass-fasting-part-14/

"It seems that there are always concerns about loss of muscle mass during fasting. I never get away from this question. No matter how many times I answer it, somebody always asks, “Doesn’t fasting burn your muscle?”

Let me say straight up, NO.

Here’s the most important thing to remember. If you are concerned about losing weight and reversing T2D, then worry about insulin. Fasting and LCHF will help you. If you are worried about muscle mass, then exercise – especially resistance exercises. OK? Don’t confuse the two issues. We always confuse the two issues because the calorie enthusiast have intertwined them in our minds like hamburgers and french fries.

Weight loss and gain is mostly a function of DIET. You can’t exercise your way out of a dietary problem. Remember the story of Peter Attia? A highly intelligent doctor and elite level distance swimmer, he found himself on the heavy end of the scale, and it was not muscle. He was overweight despite exercising 3-4 hours a day. Why? Because muscle is about exercise, and fat is about diet. You can’t out-run a bad diet.

Muscle gain/ loss is mostly a function of EXERCISE. You can’t eat your way to more muscle. Supplement companies, of course, try to convince you otherwise. Eat creatine (or protein shakes, or eye of newt) and you will build muscle. That’s stupid. There’s one good way to build muscle – exercise. So if you are worried about muscle loss – exercise. It ain’t rocket science. Just don’t confuse the two issues of diet and exercise. Don’t worry about what your diet (or lack of diet – fasting) is doing to your muscle. Exercise builds muscle. OK? Clear?"
I have recently gotten into fasting after doing a bunch of internet searches, and stumbled on Dr. Jung. I see you referenced him a year ago and I wish I had read this post then.

I have, for years, done calories in vs calories out with weight training only to easily gain all the weight I lost within a year or two after losing it. The reason: metabolic slowdown. He explains why this happens in this video.

I will never count calories again. I just started alternate day fasting and so far, I love how I feel and the effects are of my body. I was worried that the last two years of strength training would go to waste if I went on a calorie deficit. I know understand how I can avoid that and lose fat while losing weight. and NOT see my metabolic rate plummet.

Fasting will INCREASE your growth hormone; restricted calories will do the opposite. The key is insulin and Dr. Jung explains it very well in the video I linked. Check it out for yourself.

Beast

Former Camp Beast
Reaction score
Energy balance (calories in, calories out) still matters relative to fat loss. Your alternate day fasting is just changing how you reduce your calories. If you overeat fat, as promoted by Fung and others with the therapeutic keto diet, you'll eventually stall out.

Lots of times, the yo yo dieting is due to your fat cells not actually leaving the body. They just shrink. And when you come out of a prolonged period of caloric deficit (ie weight loss diet), those fat cells are waiting for any extra calories you take in. So unless you're meticulous with tracking calories at maintenance as well as when dieting, you can see any increase in weight very quickly and easily.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom