The Science of Fasting (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
Happened upon this documentary and have worked my way up to being able to fast for 2-3 days out of the week. Initially, it was difficult to get past those 'hunger pangs', but that gets easier as you learn to just fill yourself with water until they go away.

I do see the higher energy, better mood, and managed to drop 4 lb's over the holidays. I'd definitely recommend the show and the fasting. Especially to anyone who needs chemo.

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
After people lose a good bit of weight, they no longer need the old calories they were taking in. So, to effectively lose weight,they need to reduce their caloric intake.Let's say you were taking in 1700 a day.....You lose 35 pounds.. You'll need a new caloric deficit because you would be taking in too many calories resulting in a plateau. Instead of 1700,try reducing to 1500 or 1400. Hope this helps.
My plateau busting method is to eat a little more, gain a couple pounds then get back on the deficit. Seems to work like a charm each time. Of course I am not trying to lose all my weight in a few months like I see some people do which to me seems crazy to but that's just me.

Assemble

RIP Zack Lee
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
man I feel great doing this diet. I am on day 6 and have not really struggled with it to speak of. Hunger hits me sometimes in the morning but it isn't too deep and is not hard to overcome. I have decided to not check on measurables until three weeks are up but I have never felt like I could literally feel weight loss after such a short stint.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Great job!!

Beast

Former Camp Beast
Reaction score
I went from 184.5 to 177.2 in a week. That hardly even seems possible.
Awesome! Congratulations!

Do you have any idea on your body fat % when you started? If so, you can figure out your approximate TDEE. For instance, according to my last Skulpt scan, I'm approximately 16% body fat at 187 lbs. My TDEE should be roughly 2100 calories. That's essentially what I could eat daily without exercise and not gain fat/weight (i.e. maintenance calories).

If you're only eating 800 - 1000 calories and then doing cardio, you're likely in a steep daily deficit (1200 - 1500 calories depending on body fat % and cardio intensity). So then you'd add your daily deficit up over the 7 days and divide by 3500. That would be the maximum lbs you could lose in fat. The rest would likely be water weight.

I would also say be careful doing too much cardio or too high of an intensity with that large of a caloric deficit. Overdoing intense cardio on a large deficit diet can really wreak havoc with your metabolism and actually prevent weight loss.

Assemble

RIP Zack Lee
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is motivating me. You're still doing the 18/6 with cardio?
yes. All calories have been between 12 and 6pm. I did have to adjust my window Monday and Tuesday because my work schedule did not allow me to get to my last meal at 6. I also feel great. I am not struggling with the not eating in the morning hardly at all. I also love the mental aspect of it. It has made me far more in tuned with how I eat and the few times that I have experienced hunger it made me more aware of my mental and physical states and the hunger fades. I also know that there is probably some skew in the numbers because of water loss but I have lost weight many times but never actually felt myself losing it like this.

Awesome! Congratulations!

Do you have any idea on your body fat % when you started? If so, you can figure out your approximate TDEE. For instance, according to my last Skulpt scan, I'm approximately 16% body fat at 187 lbs. My TDEE should be roughly 2100 calories. That's essentially what I could eat daily without exercise and not gain fat/weight (i.e. maintenance calories).
I have not figured all of that out yet but I likely will. I am going to cut back when it just feels right. Maybe try to maintain with 2 or three days of this a week once I hit around 170. I am concerned about the deficit. I'm not really cutting back on how much I eat much other than what happens naturally because of the window. I still eat three meals a day but after that first one, the second and third are naturally smaller since I just ate 3 hours before. I have been careful with what I eat though. Its been nothing but lean proteins, fruits, vegetables and low GI carbs like whole oatmeal. I have kept watermelon and pineapple freshly cut up in the fridge for snacking in between the meals. I was pushing the cardio upwards around 1000 daily but I have scaled that back to no more than 8 to 850.

Beast

Former Camp Beast
Reaction score
yes. All calories have been between 12 and 6pm. I did have to adjust my window Monday and Tuesday because my work schedule did not allow me to get to my last meal at 6. I also feel great. I am not struggling with the not eating in the morning hardly at all. I also love the mental aspect of it. It has made me far more in tuned with how I eat and the few times that I have experienced hunger it made me more aware of my mental and physical states and the hunger fades. I also know that there is probably some skew in the numbers because of water loss but I have lost weight many times but never actually felt myself losing it like this.

I have not figured all of that out yet but I likely will. I am going to cut back when it just feels right. Maybe try to maintain with 2 or three days of this a week once I hit around 170. I am concerned about the deficit. I'm not really cutting back on how much I eat much other than what happens naturally because of the window. I still eat three meals a day but after that first one, the second and third are naturally smaller since I just ate 3 hours before. I have been careful with what I eat though. Its been nothing but lean proteins, fruits, vegetables and low GI carbs like whole oatmeal. I have kept watermelon and pineapple freshly cut up in the fridge for snacking in between the meals. I was pushing the cardio upwards around 1000 daily but I have scaled that back to no more than 8 to 850.
Yes, eventually you'll need to figure that out. At some point, your body will adjust to what you're giving it and the weight will stop coming off. That's when you'll need to adjust your macros. It's good that you're focusing on lean proteins and low GI carbs. Those low GI carbs can help offset the down regulation of your metabolism and hormones (like leptin) that will eventually occur.

You could also consider moving to a OMAD or TMAD approach (One Meal a Day or Two Meals a Day). Lots of people have success with that and IF.

Sounds like you've got a handle on things, but definitely watch for too much cardio. Cardio can stimulate appetite as well. I read Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss handbook recently (and implemented it to drop 10 lbs in 3 weeks) and he covered cardio on a severely restricted diet in it.

Assemble

RIP Zack Lee
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is an odd question. Does the science support that being in ketosis is an all or nothing thing as far as calorie intake? I’m curious if mints at less than 5 calories each will mess me up in the mornings

Beast

Former Camp Beast
Reaction score
This is an odd question. Does the science support that being in ketosis is an all or nothing thing as far as calorie intake? I’m curious if mints at less than 5 calories each will mess me up in the mornings
So the mints could break your fast sooner, but ketosis and calories aren't necessarily linked. Ketosis is all about lack of carbohydrates. I assume they're 1g of carbs each. But there's really no set daily carb amount for remaining in ketosis. It's a person by person thing. Someone that's been doing keto for a while might be able to have 200+ grams of carbs in a day and be back in ketosis the next day. Others might get kicked out with 50g and take days to get back.

I really think one of the main goals of intermittent fasting is to be more aware of your intake, both when and how much. Your question is a perfect example of this. Previously, you might have thought nothing about eating however many of them. But now you are.

If you're on Facebook and want a good group to learn from, check out Ketogenic Intermittent Fasting. It's not a group where people support massive amounts of fat intake in order to lose weight. Why take in fat when you're trying to lose it? It's more protein focused. And read the pinned post first.

Assemble

RIP Zack Lee
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
thanks, I will check out the group. I really have not read any nutrition type books since sugar busters was popular but I still believe in watching the GI of foods to this day. I picked up a couple of audiobooks that I am about to catch up on some. The Obesity Code and The Complete Guide to Fasting. I actually feel so much better. I had to give it a break for a couple of days because I do think my metabolism had adjusted but I feel so much more sluggish when I do that. I honestly feel I can probably finally achieve my real goal of "just maintaining" with some variation of this way of eating.

SaintsFanInLA

BREES SMASH!!
Reaction score
No joke, when I saw the title of the thread, I THOUGHT it said, "The Science of FARTING" and thought...well, THIS ought to be interesting.

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I believe it's not about the calories. ANY calorie, even from a mint, technically breaks a water fast and interrupts autophagy. Will just that kick you out of ketosis? Probably not, but it can. And it can signal an insulin response and raise glucose making it harder to continue the fast, if that's what you want to do, by the body making you feel hungry again.

Assemble

RIP Zack Lee
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
this weeks work schedule made me opt to not go to the gym at all but I stuck with the fasting and lost 3 pounds. So I am now at my goal weight and it would appear that I did better than the weeks with cardio sans that first one. Now I need to learn a little more about it and stagger two or three days a week of fasting with cardio maybe on the other days. Who knew there were muscles underneath a gut?

Brown

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Good thread.

I’m curious about this program and been wanting to try.

I’ve been on a sugar fast for 5 days. Lost 5 lbs.
I weighed 198 and now at 193.
Not sure if I can maintain the routine but I learnt a lot about the prevalensce of sugar in our lives and the impact of sugar on overall health. Heart, mental etc. sugar + fat = bad.
Fat alone = not so bad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom