The Science of Fasting (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
Happened upon this documentary and have worked my way up to being able to fast for 2-3 days out of the week. Initially, it was difficult to get past those 'hunger pangs', but that gets easier as you learn to just fill yourself with water until they go away.

I do see the higher energy, better mood, and managed to drop 4 lb's over the holidays. I'd definitely recommend the show and the fasting. Especially to anyone who needs chemo.

jayd265

Fleur de LEE
Reaction score
i need to try this again. i tried it about 2 months ago when i read the thread and things happened here and there that always threw off my fast so i wasnt dedicated. gonna try again.

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm at 70 hrs water/coffee only fast right now. Down 6#'s at the moment. I don't think my breath smells, but my mouth definitely feels like I need to brush my teeth constantly.

Does anyone else get insomnia when they start a fast?
I remember brushing my teeth was awesome. Toothpaste tasted like candy after being on just water.

And, btw, I really had no issues with hunger during my fast. Physically I could have easily gone much longer.

Between jogging and walking I went about 35 miles during the fast. I did some light lifting too and didn't find that my strength deteriorated at all.

The challenge is pretty much all psychological because eating is just enjoyable.
Good job. I'm trying to work up the gumption to attack a 5-7 day fast. I went 3 days at the beginning of lent.

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Down 55lbs.
I finally made it to 60. I had plateaued then gained b/w 5 to 10 lbs and hovered around this for a couple weeks by not being strict with my fasting. Best part of fasting is everyday is cheat day... just don't over eat.

Assemble

RIP Zack Lee
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have finally gotten around to trying this. Im doing 18/6. On day 2 and not finding it difficult so far. Im off work though so we will see what happens when I add daily stress back in.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’m doing from between 6 and 7 PM to 9:30 AM while I’m at work. So only about 15 hours. But I find I can easily go until between noon and 1:00 PM when I’m not at work. So, yeah, stress is a thing.

OP
OP
Tapxe
Reaction score
I've stalled out at 180#. Still want to lose another 15-20, but haven't had the desire to do an extended fast. At least I've got my routine set so I am not gaining anymore which is equally important to me.

Maybe this weekend I'll buckle down and do a 3 day.

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
One idea is to slowly increase your calories for daily maintenance until your body can adjust to this new total, then start a deficit again.

Assemble

RIP Zack Lee
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I am combing this with about 800 to 1000 calories a day cardio. I would imagine that the weight will come off faster even than I am shooting for since I can lose a couple a week with the cardio and no diet changes. But weight loss is not the primary reason I want to do it. Once I lose about 14 I will have to address how to "maintain" and not yoyo. This is a much harder idea for me than weight loss.

Gump

And there's a flag on the play..
Reaction score
I've stalled out at 180#. Still want to lose another 15-20, but haven't had the desire to do an extended fast. At least I've got my routine set so I am not gaining anymore which is equally important to me.

Maybe this weekend I'll buckle down and do a 3 day.
Have you recalculated your macro's?

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
yep, me either. I hear it being spoken about when listening to a youtube channel I ran across one day with a pair of twins that have an annoying gimmick but some nice short videos focused on different topics. Guess, I need to learn about macros that aren't in Excel.

OP
OP
Tapxe
Reaction score
yep, me either. I hear it being spoken about when listening to a youtube channel I ran across one day with a pair of twins that have an annoying gimmick but some nice short videos focused on different topics. Guess, I need to learn about macros that aren't in Excel.
I've heard of macronutrients, but just in passing. I suppose that could refer to carb/prot/fat intake. That would make the most sense, but I heard a good nutritionist podcast from the art of manliness where he blew up the whole low carb argument. He said the body doesn't process fat better or worse if you have carbs. You lose weight because cutting the carbs cuts calories. Getting and staying in ketosis is simply the result from having less overall calories to burn.

Gump

And there's a flag on the play..
Reaction score
I don't know what that means.
After people lose a good bit of weight, they no longer need the old calories they were taking in. So, to effectively lose weight,they need to reduce their caloric intake.Let's say you were taking in 1700 a day.....You lose 35 pounds.. You'll need a new caloric deficit because you would be taking in too many calories resulting in a plateau. Instead of 1700,try reducing to 1500 or 1400. Hope this helps.

Beast

Former Camp Beast
Reaction score
I've heard of macronutrients, but just in passing. I suppose that could refer to carb/prot/fat intake. That would make the most sense, but I heard a good nutritionist podcast from the art of manliness where he blew up the whole low carb argument. He said the body doesn't process fat better or worse if you have carbs. You lose weight because cutting the carbs cuts calories. Getting and staying in ketosis is simply the result from having less overall calories to burn.
Yes, macros is short for macronutrients. Every gram of protein, fat and carb you take in counts towards your total caloric intake for the day. Protein and carbs are multiplied by 4 to get calories. Fat by 9.

As far as low carb vs standard diet goes, if you're doing any sort of fasting, intermittent or extended, you'd probably do much better and have an easier time of it by going low carb. Depending on your body fat percentage, you could have 10s of thousands of calories stored on you as fat. By going low carb, getting into ketosis and becoming fat adapted, your body will turn those fat stores into ketones that it can use as fuel. Once fat adapted, it's much easier to not eat. I've lost 100 lbs by doing low carb and lifting weights, with a little intermittent fasting here and there.

I agree with Gump on the macro issue. You're not losing weight b/c you're not in a caloric deficit. It's also possible that you need to eat at maintenance calories for a week or two before going back to a deficit.

Also, protein is king for optimal body composition. Anywhere from .8 to 1.2g per pound of lean body mass is recommended.

Beast

Former Camp Beast
Reaction score
You should figure out your body fat % (look up US Navy method, use calipers, get a Skulpt, or have a DEXA scan done), then use that in a BMR / TDEE calculator to figure out your maintenance calories. Then create a deficit diet from there. It takes a 3500 calorie deficit to lose a pound of fat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom