The Science of Fasting (4 Viewers)

i need to cut, way, way, back on the alcohol. girl i have been sorta seeing doesn't like it when i am trashed. i have to prove to her i can be sober. i like her, so i am complying.

this is day 2. not bad. wednesday i got totally trashed, have been on behaviour since she told me (yesterday).

wish me luck homies.

fork, this probably isn't even the right thread.

i need to cut, way, way, back on the alcohol. girl i have been sorta seeing doesn't like it when i am trashed. i have to prove to her i can be sober. i like her, so i am complying.

this is day 2. not bad. wednesday i got totally trashed, have been on behaviour since she told me (yesterday).

wish me luck homies.

I'll just comment that it's a good thing you are deciding to get better control of your alcohol use. It started much that same way for me, but over time I've discovered I like being sober more than I do drunk. Hopefully you reach that same point for your own good.

I relapsed during the season and put on 25#'s. Since about two weeks ago, I've cut way back on food and alcohol again. Down 10#'s since then so it does help a ton to stop booze.

wish me luck homies.

Zeetes whatever gets you started is great. I’ll point out a couple of things that will help though.

first I would look for your own reasons to concentrate on. Like how you feel when you wake up, positive activity you can do again like exercise and reading, etc. Doing it for someone is great but for longevity you will find it easier to do it for yourself.

and that brings me to the second. Never concentrate on a negative, always a positive.

test it yourself and see how you feel. Try “I can’t drink tonight, I can’t drink tonight” and watch how your body tenses up

now “i get to feel good in the morning. I get to be present for what is going on right now, etc”.

going on five years and I have never looked at the negative and I have never struggled. And I don’t like to try to out do anyone when it comes to my addiction but I can say it would have been physically impossible for me to be a worse case alcoholic. It almost killed me several times. So to say I don’t struggle is a mouth full.

love you brother. You can hit me up anytime if your struggling.

wish me luck homies.

Good for you, Zeetes. I’m in my 17th year of sobriety. It has been that long since I haven’t had a hangover, got behind the wheel of a car unwisely or worried about what stupid shirt I said the night before while under the influence. So, as Zack pointed out, there are many positives to focus on. I had to dry up because it caused memory problems. I’d forget the meaning of moderation. So I now avoid it completely. It gets easier in time. Pulling for you.?

It has always been extremely hard for me to lose weight. My body likes to maintain a certain weight no matter and I love food. Starting about 3 years ago, I gradually gained 30 lbs over a 2 year period bc of my job and working from home. I had never been so heavy before. Seeing myself in pictures is what gave me a huge wake up call. I had a destination wedding to attend to last fall which proved a great motivating factor for me as well.

Because of intermittent fasting, I'm down 35 lbs. I noticed that fasting for 18-20 hours hits the sweet spot for me.

I eat whatever I want and I don't count calories which makes the whole process less stressful and complicated for me. My goal is to lose another 15 lbs, see how my body looks, and determine if I want to lose more. I don't even know what I would look like 15 lbs lighter than my current weight since I haven't been that size in over 20 years.

Good luck to all of us trying to lose weight. It can be such a long and draining process.

It has always been extremely hard for me to lose weight. My body likes to maintain a certain weight no matter and I love food. Starting about 3 years ago, I gradually gained 30 lbs over a 2 year period bc of my job and working from home. I had never been so heavy before. Seeing myself in pictures is what gave me a huge wake up call. I had a destination wedding to attend to last fall which proved a great motivating factor for me as well.

Because of intermittent fasting, I'm down 35 lbs. I noticed that fasting for 18-20 hours hits the sweet spot for me.

I eat whatever I want and I don't count calories which makes the whole process less stressful and complicated for me. My goal is to lose another 15 lbs, see how my body looks, and determine if I want to lose more. I don't even know what I would look like 15 lbs lighter than my current weight since I haven't been that size in over 20 years.

Good luck to all of us trying to lose weight. It can be such a long and draining process.

20 to 22 is the sweet spot for me too. When I am rolling along at my best I am only eating between 12pm and 2pm. When I was eating in a window from 12 - 6pm it was actually harder for me in the mornings so I think having a completely empty stomach at bedtime is a big key for me.

Okay still going at it, but I'm going to break the fast at 6pm tonight. That will be 8 full days (last eats was 6pm Mardi Gras evening). My previous best was 7 days. Down 10.4 pounds from last Wednesday morning till this morning.

Water only with several unsweetened green teas to break the water monotony. I feel like I'm fidna pass ott. :) It's amazing how long a body can go on a final "meal" of a Snickers Blast from Sonic. Hey, it was Mardi Gras and indulgence is the whole point, right?

Going to attempt to adhere to the intermittent fasting, especially avoiding meals after 7pm and continue to skip breakfast. We'll see if I can keep the weight off. I sure as hell hope so.

wow SBB. I have not even decided to bite off a fast like that.

I am currently on day 3 of 22 hour fasts and today I am actually pushing it to 26 hours so I can enjoy dinner with family.

Im going to weigh again on day 7 to see what 7 days of 22 plus will do. Although thinking about it I will have to shrink the fast tomorrow to get back on my work day schedule. Close enough though.

I went about 44 hours from Sunday night to Tuesday afternoon. Today I only went 17 hours. I wanted to go more but I think the rain made me hungry. But anyway, I'm back in it. Not necessarily gonna try for 44 hours all the time but do OMAD and eat way better than I have been.

Okay, don't get mad at me for infecting this thread with the corona virus, but here goes. When I did my 8 day fast at the beginning of lent, I did think about this self quarantine situation. If supplies started to run low, I could fast to preserve on the food. But would that make me more susceptible to the virus or would it possibly make me less receptive based on the medical "miracles" people are learning about fasting.

I know there is no scientific answer, just something that crossed my mind. The doctors that did studies that showed that many cancers don't like fasting. Maybe COVID-19 doesn't either.

Sorry to thread jack. Talk amongst yourselves.

Last edited:
Okay, don't get mad at me for infecting this thread with the corona virus, but here goes. When I did my 8 day fast at the beginning of lent, I did think about this self quarantine situation. If supplies started to run low, I could fast to preserve on the food. But would that make me more susceptible to the virus or would it possibly make me less receptive based on the medical "miracles" people are learning about fasting.

I know there is no scientific answer, just something that crossed my mind. The doctors that did studies that showed that many cancers don't like fasting. Maybe COVID-19 doesn't either.

Sorry to thread jack. Talk amongst yourselves.
When I was regular fasting and only re-feeding healthy (green leafies, good fats, limiting carbs, no junk, no sugar, only water to drink), I never got sick. This winter I derailed and got the flu (not Corona) for the first time I can remember in a long time. I wholeheartedly believe (why I derailed, I dunno), if done right, in the "you are what you eat" mantra.

Here's why fasting intrigued me, because I wanted to know how the body resorted to our fat stores as we modern day humans don't have to rely on that. Very often what we read as hunger is not hunger at all.

When I was regular fasting and only re-feeding healthy (green leafies, good fats, limiting carbs, no junk, no sugar, only water to drink), I never got sick. This winter I derailed and got the flu (not Corona) for the first time I can remember in a long time. I wholeheartedly believe (why I derailed, I dunno), if done right, in the "you are what you eat" mantra.

Here's why fasting intrigued me, because I wanted to know how the body resorted to our fat stores as we modern day humans don't have to rely on that. Very often what we read as hunger is not hunger at all.
Now is a good time to fast.
I'm of that mindset, as well. It feels like my body is more shielded from cooties when I'm on a fast. Just a personal observation and not science based.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom