The Science of Fasting (2 Viewers)

Very early finding with small sample, but looks like it'll get more investigation.

Very early finding with small sample, but looks like it'll get more investigation.
I know I am n=1, but this is what I have been doing for more than 2 years now. I switched to a diet that was anchored heavily in animal proteins and I always do 16-8 intermittent fasting. Have not had any gastrointestinal issues that I used to suffer with from my mid 20s all the way till I started this way of eating.

Also to add, I don't agree with using protein powders as a source of protein. It's just highly processed garbage that some company is making $$$ from, get your protein from natural sources.

Forget to write about this, but I did the fasting mimicking diet, which is basically a 5 day semi-fast, where you eat about 1200 calories the first day and then 700 calories for the next 4 days, with a specific set of macros. I'm lazy so I bought a kit from Prolon to do it. Supposedly you get some of the same benefits of fasting (autophagy) while still being able to eat some. I was curious b/c the last time I did a long fast I started getting jaundice and had to cut it short and wanted to see if this would work.

It was pretty easy to follow, basically it was like a fruit and nut bar in the morning and then soup for lunch and dinner. I didn't feel any hunger until the evening of the 4th day and again the evening of the 5th day. So it was pretty easy to follow. I still was able to ride my bike into work and do some light exercise. I never got a burst of energy though, and I did get pretty tired in the evenings. I lost about 10 pounds over the 5 days, of which I think 6 pounds was water weight... 2 days later I had recovered all but 4 pounds that I had lost, and I've kept those 4 pounds off. I also never got jaundice this go around... my eyes did start looking cloudy so I upped my water intake and that seemed to help clear it up.

I'm probably going to do it again 3 more times this summer and see if it can help me get my weight down and manage my cholosterol.

We'll see.

After four weeks, participants in both the diet groups reported significantly reduced symptoms — a 76% reduction with the low FODMAP diet and a 71% reduction with the low-carbohydrate diet. The medication group reported a 58% reduction in symptoms.

Two weeks after the study began, one participant, a woman in her 50s on the FODMAP diet, cried as she described the relief from abdominal pain she felt for the first time in her adult life, Nybacka told NPR.

Others in both dietary groups also said they felt better than they had for as long as they could remember, she said.

In addition to IBS symptom relief, participants in all three groups reported less anxiety and depression and an improved quality of life.
We've been saying this for years now.

I’m mostly carnivore now. Best shape of my life and still getting better every day. Don’t do too much fasting anymore, except what happens naturally, not eating all day til dinner when I eat a ton.

Look up Anthony Chaffee on YouTube. He’s the best Dr out there giving free advice. He’s a neurosurgeon, former professional rugby player.

Last edited:
I’m mostly carnivore now. Best shape of my life and still getting better every day. Don’t do too much fasting anymore, except what happens naturally, not eating all day til dinner when I eat a ton.

Look up Anthony Chaffee on YouTube. He’s the best Dr out there giving free advice. He’s a neurosurgeon, former professional rugby player.

Yeah I found Chaffee a couple years ago. Extremely intelligent and well spoken. Really shows you can be in peak performance as full carnivore too.

This is a good video my Nick Norwitz, he can tend to be very heady and goes deep into the science. But really shows how the media is all in pushing back against keto-centric diet. You know they are getting their marching orders from the advertisers.

I have literal all day energy eating carnivore. I go to the gym sometimes 3 times a day if I have the time. Doesn’t matter when I eat. Play flag football with a bunch of 20 something athletes and I can match them at 39.

I have literal all day energy eating carnivore. I go to the gym sometimes 3 times a day if I have the time. Doesn’t matter when I eat. Play flag football with a bunch of 20 something athletes and I can match them at 39.

Careful though, it seems in the past year the media wants to label people who eat meat as right wingers lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom