The Unemployment Line: COVID-19 Edition (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I'd say figure out some sort of minimum base level of income for those who can't or won't work, then those who work earn above the UBI level.

Exactly.. This way you wont have employers (legitimately in some cases) complaining that their workers wont return to work because theyre ‘making more on unemployment’.. Republicans can offer $1000/month, Democrats can counter with $2000 and we can all settle on $1500 per month.. That’s the equivelent to $18,000/yr.. Anyone with ANY motivation will not reject work and be content with $18k per year.. of course there will be some who abuse the system, as there always is- but nothing is perfect.. this way you’re getting the eqiuivelent of a stimulus check (plus $300) directly in peoples’ pockets each month for immediate needs, they feel free to go back to work without fear of losing Unemployment benefits, AND it stimulates the economy.. Win/Win/Win.

I sure hope this doesn't screw me on the federal payments.
I believe in order to qualify for the $600 federal payment you have to qualify first for at least $1 of state unemployment payment. If you don't qualify for at least a small state unemployment benefit amount I don't believe you will receive the federal payment.

i have 268 hours of pto. this week and next are both straight pto. now what to do with the rest.

i was planning my first vacation since a kid. i wanted to go to prague. i definitely waited too long. sigh.

i have 268 hours of pto. this week and next are both straight pto. now what to do with the rest.

i was planning my first vacation since a kid. i wanted to go to prague. i definitely waited too long. sigh.
I had saved a bunch of money and I have 4 weeks of vacation and 5 personal days. I was planning on a really nice vacation.

Not going to happen. Even without covid the economy is too shaky for me to be comfortable spending on stuff like that.

Maybe we'll get our chances in a couple of years.

That sucks. We had several trips planned this year too so I did the same thing and saved a ton of vacation. We may still do our annual trip to see my parents in Baton Rouge and Smithdale, but that’ll probably be it.

I think most rational people understand that no system (esp a Gov one) is going to work flawlessly under the situation. Going from a few hundred cases a day to literally a million is unprecedented and bound to require patients to navigate.
I hope everyone whos job has been a casualty of this will come out stronger and maybe a bit wiser for it. It sounds like a few here have savings to tide them over. Pity those living check to check. I cannot imagine the stress.

I hope everyone whos job has been a casualty of this will come out stronger and maybe a bit wiser for it. It sounds like a few here have savings to tide them over. Pity those living check to check. I cannot imagine the stress.

It’s a sh**ty situation becuase not everyone had jobs pre-COVID that paid them enough to allow them to save much of anything.. i have a close family member who is making way more now than she has her entire life (she’s in her 50s now) and, ironically enough, at last has a little breathing room in her budget.. but unfortunately, you have people in the same situation as her, working for slave wages their entire lives, who for whatever reason cant get their hands on unemployment.. maybe they are gig workers, or maybe , like a lot of states, their state’s website is jacked up and the phones are tied up 24/7... which is why, IMO, if there is a second and/or third wave of this over the next year or so- the feds need to provide a Universal Basic Income, just money directly into eveyrone’s pockets without making them jump through hoops so that the most vulnerable dont fall through the cracks.. will it increase the deficit? Absolutely.. but that’s never stopped a politician before, esp in re to corporate bailouts and profiteering that is rampant.

As for me, I’ve been counting my blessings every day.. was furloughed in March, and had a really anxious month or so (felt like 6 months) where i wasnt approved for Unemployment for whatever reason.. i really didnt want to burn through my savings and 401k, or run up credit cards and go deep into debt... . But now that I’m getting some unemployment, i can breathe a little, and i plan to start applying for new jobs in the next week or two.. In the meantime, just to get out of the house- I’m gonna load up the Jeep and take a couple of road trips.. I’m thinking the Great Smoky Mountains, which I haven’t seen since i was a kid.. and Montana, which I’ve always wanted to visit.. Probably wont interact much with people at all, just see the sights, the beautiful scenery.. and since I’m uneasy about staying in hotel rooms that might be infected- I’ll probably just sleep in the Jeep with my dog.. Sounds pretty perfect right about now, actually.

Last edited:
Well I hope we are taking this time to reflect and think about how we can help those less fortunate.
I know I dont have the answers but I'd be hard pressed to be able to explain how universal income (which is government money) keeps corporations from profiting from gov't money?
Probably a topic for a different thread.

Well I hope we are taking this time to reflect and think about how we can help those less fortunate.
I know I dont have the answers but I'd be hard pressed to be able to explain how universal income (which is government money) keeps corporations from profiting from gov't money?
Probably a topic for a different thread.

Well, i definitely dont have all the answers either.. but to be clear, UBI doesnt go to corporations, it goes to individuals.. it does help corporations, becuase it gives people money that flows into the economy.. but what it prevents is corporate bailouts like in 2008 and now, where corporations Ike United Airlines recieve Billions, then still furlough employees, or ask them to take voluntary separation like was in the news yesterday.. Does that clarify it any?

My wife has finally gotten approved for her unemployment in Alabama as an independent contractor. Hopefully for some of you in the same boat, things are FINALLY starting to move.

Exactly.. This way you wont have employers (legitimately in some cases) complaining that their workers wont return to work because theyre ‘making more on unemployment’.. Republicans can offer $1000/month, Democrats can counter with $2000 and we can all settle on $1500 per month.. That’s the equivelent to $18,000/yr.. Anyone with ANY motivation will not reject work and be content with $18k per year.. of course there will be some who abuse the system, as there always is- but nothing is perfect.. this way you’re getting the eqiuivelent of a stimulus check (plus $300) directly in peoples’ pockets each month for immediate needs, they feel free to go back to work without fear of losing Unemployment benefits, AND it stimulates the economy.. Win/Win/Win.

If it’s bad from to quote myself- well then, I’ve never been accused of having good form. :hihi:

Still have no idea what's going on with my application. I had to fill out a lot of stuff yesterday. Looks like I make too much still to get anything from the State on regular UE, which I knew.. but I did get one $600 check from the fed. So.. there's that.

I'll call it progress. haha.

How's everyone else doing?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom