TIL: Today I Learned... (5 Viewers)

TIL always keep your shirt care tags inside and in your left hand as you put on your shirt. If the tag is in your right hand, your shirt is backwards, if the tag is on the outside, your shirt is inside out, and if the tag is nowhere to be seen then your shirt is upside down AND quite possibly backward.

TIL, sadly that there's less than 40% as much wildlife as when I was born. They estimate by the 2020 there will be only 1/3 as many fish and animals alive as there were in 1970.

World wildlife 'falls by 58% in 40 years' - BBC News

The last report, published in 2014, estimated that the world's wildlife populations had halved over the last 40 years.

This assessment suggests that the trend has continued: since 1970, populations have declined by an average of 58%.

Dr Barrett said some groups of animals had fared worse than others.

"We do see particularly strong declines in the freshwater environment - for freshwater species alone, the decline stands at 81% since 1970. This is related to the way water is used and taken out of fresh water systems, and also the fragmentation of freshwater systems through dam building, for example."

Derek Amato suffered a concussion. The impact caused him to suddenly be able to play the piano beautifully.

<iframe src="https://www.npr.org/player/embed/467680296/491940044" width="100%" height="290" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" title="NPR embedded audio player"></iframe>

If you have jacked up teeth, then wear braces....after the braces are removed, your teeth naturally want to move back to the jacked up setup prior to the braces. Hence, the retainer.

*my son got his braces off yesterday

^^ this isn't a TIL (more like a FYAIL)
but i am reminded of this story
If Rod Serling were alive and writing episodes for &#8220;The Twilight Zone,&#8221; odds are he would have leaped on the true story of Anne Adams, a Canadian scientist turned artist who died of a rare brain disease last year.

Trained in mathematics, chemistry and biology, Dr. Adams left her career as a teacher and bench scientist in 1986 to take care of a son who had been seriously injured in a car accident and was not expected to live. But the young man made a miraculous recovery. After seven weeks, he threw away his crutches and went back to school.

According her husband, Robert, Dr. Adams then decided to abandon science and take up art. She had dabbled with drawing when young, he said in a recent telephone interview, but now she had an intense all-or-nothing drive to paint.

&#8220;Anne spent every day from 9 to 5 in her art studio,&#8221; said Robert Adams, a retired mathematician. Early on, she painted architectural portraits of houses in the West Vancouver, British Columbia, neighborhood where they lived.

In 1994, Dr. Adams became fascinated with the music of the composer Maurice Ravel, her husband recalled. At age 53, she painted &#8220;Unravelling Bolero&#8221; a work that translated the famous musical score into visual form.

Unbeknown to her, Ravel also suffered from a brain disease whose symptoms were identical to those observed in Dr. Adams, said Dr. Bruce Miller, a neurologist and the director of the Memory and Aging Center at the University of California, San Francisco. Ravel composed &#8220;Bolero&#8221; in 1928, when he was 53 and began showing signs of his illness with spelling errors in musical scores and letters.

&#8220;Bolero&#8221; alternates between two main melodic themes, repeating the pair eight times over 340 bars with increasing volume and layers of instruments. At the same time, the score holds methodically to two simple, alternating staccato bass lines....
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/08/health/08brai.html?_r=0

adamsa_pi.jpg

also there was a great Radiolab podcast about this
Unraveling Bolero - Radiolab

TIL that research on DARE shows it to be at best questionable and possibly has the opposite of the intended impact as it exposes children to new drug information which they might otherwise not encounter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_Abuse_Resistance_Education#Studies_on_effectiveness

The 10 yr old was watching CSI with mom the other day. One small part was about some people OD'ing on a drug and they caught a 20 something with a pill, and she's like "I thought he gave me E! What's this stuff?"

I turned to the kid and was like "See, this is another reason we don't do drugs.. sometimes you don't even get what you wanted and die" (not the girl talking, but the body they found earlier).

Her reaction was pretty much this..

giphy.gif

You can smell through your skin.

<iframe src="//assets.nationalgeographic.com/modules-video/assets/ngsEmbeddedVideo.html?guid=00000155-4bcf-d75d-ab75-6feff0410000" width="640" height="365" frameborder="0" seamless="seamless" scrolling="no" allowFullScreen></iframe>

My grandfather was a chemist who was more sensitive to this than usual, tasting strong chemicals. So he usually wore gloves when filling a mower with gasoline, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom