***TROPICAL ALERT*** Hurricane Sally (Tropical systems are going into 2020 mode) (1 Viewer)

I think it's Georges he's referring to - I remember it as well. It stayed on the NHC track but that track had a fairly late move to the N and NE. Until that point, it was heading directly for New Orleans and the city evacuated (and some models had a hit).

Nash Roberts famously continued to tell people it was going to turn, but it was bearing down on the mouth of the river. It did, however, make that turn and hit Biloxi.

Charleston had the same thing a few years ago. A Cat 4 hurricane coming right at you is scary, even if the forecast (with confidence) is that it will turn. You still have to evacuate because if it doesn't turn, it's too late.

Yep, Bob Breck and Nash Roberts had a little sparring match over the path and Margrett Orr lost herself on air and got reprimanded for it.

Bermuda JUST got done with a direct hit from Paulette, and now Teddy has the island in the crosshairs again. The island could be complete destroyed.

1600266409361.png

90L is down there in the SW gulf.

1600265224282.png
Yeah, not a lot going on there.. GFS has it fizzle and maybe send a wave to florida.. Euro looked like it went into mexico.

But 98L joining that action too isn't likely at all.

Bermuda JUST got done with a direct hit from Paulette, and now Teddy has the island in the crosshairs again. The island could be complete destroyed.

1600266409361.png

I've been watching that and so far the track hasn't turned very much.

storm_98.gif

While 98L may go fishing, I'll keep watching it out of the corner of my eye.

Teddy may also turn out to be an east coast runner. Models are still shifting west
Last I saw, it looked like Bermuda and maybe Nova Scotia would have to watch this. I don't think it will go far enough west to threaten the US.

And seriously, what is Paulette's deal? Does she wanna loop back around and get in on the hurricane train?

083107_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

I believe you may be thinking of Ivan, Georges had Biloxi in the cross hairs the minute it exited the Dominican Republic.
That wasn't the way I recall it being covered in the New Orleans area. Keep in mind that Georges was the first storm where New Orleans-area parishes started calling for evacuations of the city and immediate suburbs. I can't remember if they were mandatory or voluntary evacuations, but the powers that be called them.

Locally, Georges was being treated as a grave danger to New Orleans itself. Back then, I wasn't following storm tracks online, but I do remember them on the local news broadcasts and special reports at the time. Seemed like with maybe a day and a half to go, the tracks were aiming for eastern St. Bernard Parish or a Slidell landfall. That last-minute subtle jog east into the Mississippi Gulf Coast, among many New Orleanians, was treated as a "we lucked out" last-minute turn.

These days, Georges' late jog east may well have been predicted earlier on -- and that prediction would've been online and more people would've expected it.

Yep, Bob Breck and Nash Roberts had a little sparring match over the path and Margaret Orr lost herself on air and got reprimanded for it.
She did? What's the story there? I remember her "water, water everywhere!" comment (which kind of followed her for a few years) ... but I didn't know she actually got in real trouble with the station.

I guess our boy bclemms is in Pensacola right now, at least according to his footage that theyre showing on MSNBC as i type this.

Yeah, he was in Dauphin yesterday.

He doesn't post his good stuff on social media - makes it harder to sell to commercial media, so I don't blame him. He's a pro.

Cantore says it's the third highest surge on record in Pensacola.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom