Ukraine (16 Viewers)

Someone missed the boat and didn't do their homework. Why would you target an empty ship?
I would prefer that they only target empty tankers, and shoot them to disable them, not to sink them.

Full tankers make an environmental mess it they are holed.

Hit the engine room only, and cause them to be out of commission for a year or two. And target the cargo after it has been unloaded and is on land in the oil terminal tank farm, which is what they have been doing.

At the tank farm they have enclosures around the tanks to contain a spill.

False flag to set the precedent of attacking merchant vessels?
Probably not, fuel and the tankers that carry it are legitimate war cargoes one can attack and destroy.

Grain ships are a different matter.

This ship and the company which owns her are currently under criminal indictment by the US. As a reality the Russian government is the actual owner. She is made to carry jet fuel for military aircraft. She's already been listed as an outlaw, and subject to being arrested and / or seized for carrying war cargoes to Syria.

We have the legal authority to seize her, or destroy her. So does Ukraine.

Here's a photo of the SIG's engine room. It's flooded up over the top of the main engine. My guess is 12 to 15 feet of water. It looks like the electrical panels on the second level have been flooded enough that she's without any auxiliary power.

The flooding appears to have reached a stable level and is not increasing. If it were still taking on water there would be visible turbulence on the surface. Instead the surface of the water is calm.

She's not sinking. At least not any time soon.

A rescue tug and several months in a shipyard with dry dock will be needed. But she could sit tied to a dock, and if they keep pumps running they most likely will be able to keep her afloat.

F2umOAtXcAAhMaQ

I thought the ship was empty.

Marine Traffic say it is at anchor and empty. They gave a draft reading, and that amount of draft means it's empty.
I would go with what they say since they receive real time sensor data from the ship.

Rather than go by what an Internet Intel Crab says on Twitter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom