Ukraine (13 Viewers)

Depends on the war, imo.

I was a young, gung-ho young firebrand when Carter first started talking about amnesty. One day, I was at the dinner table with my WWII, Bronze Star, limping Purple Heart, George Wallace voting father, and I go off on a soapbox speech about how the draft-dodging cowards should be thrown under the jail or never allowed back into the country. After I finished my diatribe, my father looked up from his paper and quietly said something to the effect of: "If you had been drafted into this war, I would have tied you up, thrown you in the trunk, and driven you to Canada myself." Then he went back to reading his paper.

I'd be lying if I said he changed my perspective at that very moment. But it's a moment I've returned to many times when I feel heated and so sure about something that involves someone sacrificing their life.

That said, some generations sadly have to earn freedom all over again, and this is one of those times for Ukranians. And I do believe that, for the vast majority of Ukranian men, fighting in this particular war is the clearly right thing to do.
My WWII uncles, and Korean war father would have allowed your father to pull up to their farm fuel tanks and fill up during the dead of night along his way to get you to Canada. They were into underground railways.

They all liked trains.

For the wars they fought in, they were all volunteers. However all of them would have been drafted had they not volunteered, my grandfather told them that. My dad questioned the reasons for Korea, Vietnam was beyond the pale for him, he was disgusted by it.

I was a senior in HS when Nixon ended the draft. My lottery # was 42, I was a goner. I was also a pot smoking, acid dropping hippy. Unlike my peer group I never felt that the war in and of itself was immoral or illegal.

My problem with it was we weren't ever going to win it the way we were fighting it. Dying in VN would have been a waste of my life. My Dad, a hard core hippy hater and Nixon lover told me he'd drive me Canada himself if it looked like I was going to drafted. I told him I'd join the Marines if came to it. Luckily I didn't have to do either.

A big very expensive military drone:

But the added expense might be worth every penny of it.

I for two am chuckling.

I know, and the Russians know that those bombs are just great big bombs. They aren't victory in a can. The threat of their use is their greatest utility.

I'll add this to this post on edit:

Every time I see a mention of the A-10 as it relates to the Ukraine war, I laugh.
If the USAF really wanted to get rid of that aircraft, all they would need to do is give all remaining working aircraft to Ukraine. They wouldn’t last 2 months.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
Top Bottom