Ukraine (32 Viewers)

Every time I see a mention of the A-10 as it relates to the Ukraine war, I laugh.
If the USAF really wanted to get rid of that aircraft, all they would need to do is give all remaining working aircraft to Ukraine. They wouldn’t last 2 months.
Since so many of them have strong new wings I would imagine those A-10 airframes will be modified during a rebuild which will be so complete that they will be regarded as new aircraft. New air tankers to fight forest fires.

The air tankers in use all eventually fly over my house. My house is on a high ridge and is quite visible from the air.

Calfire uses it as waypoint marker, they often make turns, and go off another way right above the house.

That DC-10 flew over one day at what I would guess was 150 feet above the roof. I hope the A-10's will reduce that separation from my roof elevation down to 4 or 50 feet. So I'll get to see them flying real low again.

:)

They are the perfect aircraft for fire fighting. If they could get them able to fly on instruments at 100 feet altitude above the treetops, through turbulent smoke they would be able to fight fires when the air tankers are withdrawn from a fire due to poor visibility. Similarly they could fight at night.

Two years CalFire had a couple of night tankers, they made a few drops near here one night that really mattered, it kept the Oak fire from being able to worm its way into Yosemite National Park.

A significant issue plagued by a design limitation which is fundamental to circuit design. It's real, they can't easily convert their grid to carry a more significant portion of it's load on imported from a long distance power without reworking more of the grid than one would think would be needing to modify it to use more long distance Power, and less locally produced power. Just building a transmission line from europe is not all you have to do.

To explain it more in depth I would have to bring up imaginary roots in algebra and explain them first. I'm not up for doing that today. Anyway here's the news report about the crux of this very real electrical design problem.

The problem is Ukraine is trying to start up war material production, which means vastly increasing the electrical demand. It takes a lot of power to run an electric foundry furnace to make shells.

Rationing electricity is the way Russia dealt with the same problem when the Germans were bombing them. Everyday during low demand they would turn on the electricity to neighborhoods for a couple hours a day, after having shut it completely off for the rest of the day.

In modern times they need to sent a technician by each house to lock out a lot of loads a house might have, but are not needed for surviving. Basically they would turn off the AC units and electric clothes dryers and lock them out. If a customer turns them back on they get fined. They might take away half of the light bulbs in the house or reduce the wattage of the bulbs to reduce the load.

They need to find and shut down and confiscate every bitcoin mine in the land. I would take their computer gear away from them, and salvage it for the war effort.

There would be a lot of useful repetition to the array of parts in that mining gear. For instance the processor each mining computer is running would be duplicated across the many units. So if say that processor is also usable in a drone, it would be available in sufficient numbers to make it worth the effort to salvage and use it.

I was watching it after I posted it.

Denys says having enough US supplied shells on hand made a real difference on the battlefield today. They clobbered the Russians.

Last edited:
This is today's:

Day in and day out I see a lot of farm fields in Deny's maps. They are fairly consistent in their size. I looked it up and the average field size in Ukraine is 96 hecters or 0.96 square kilometer.

In the US the average field size is about 10% larger.

Last edited:
Every time I see a mention of the A-10 as it relates to the Ukraine war, I laugh.
If the USAF really wanted to get rid of that aircraft, all they would need to do is give all remaining working aircraft to Ukraine. They wouldn’t last 2 months.
If they really are worhtless if they can rig them up with some remote piloting ala drones and just fly them into Russian positions in suicide attacks. At worst you should burn up Russian missile defenses.

If they really are worhtless if they can rig them up with some remote piloting ala drones and just fly them into Russian positions in suicide attacks. At worst you should burn up Russian missile defenses.
Hell yeah! And the Ukrainians certainly could pull that off. They've repurposed all kinds of military hardware. If there's one thing they're exceptionally good it, it's improvising.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
Top Bottom