Underhill’s latest article cites oline isn’t as dire as it appears. (1 Viewer)

Correct, which is why I made sure to point out that within the system, they usually perform better as a unit. What's become clear is that it needs a LT if not anything else. This is why I think Fuaga could end up at LT. I think it's too important to risk hoping that Penning suddenly gets it together.

I'd also add in heavy quick game usage, fewer deep drops and average to good QB play aids in masking the O-line deficiencies. Carr does hold the ball sometimes so I'm curious if he'll consistently get it out on time.
Each of those teams have strong play at LT, I would agree it is a huge need.

Carr will need to go through his progressions and get the ball out on time, it will be easier for him if he isn't worried about getting blindsided every third down.

Apparently he agrees w/ me and uses similar logic to state his case.

According to him all the teams using the Shanahan/Kubiak system only have at max two olineman above 70 grade per PFF.

That includes Houston, Rams, 49ers, and Miami. Saints are one of 10 or so teams that have only one olineman (McCoy) above 70.

He further uses the basis of oline play being down across the NFL as proof that the path to a league average oline for the Saints is only the development of one other lineman to above a 70 grade away

Ruiz is a candidate as is Fuaga, and though Penning has shown little he still has upside. As I’ve noted, in this scheme the sum of its parts is typically more important than top individual performers.

Anyway it’s a good read and is just another echo of similar logic

Edit: added screenshots of pre- draft research of 2021 Vikings / 2023 Saints / 2023 49ers OL and Skill position grades when trying to prove why Saints didn’t need to force Olineman in draft.

I just wonder though, what if Ruiz could be a 70+ at center and McCoy at guard is 70+ as well. I just wish they would explore that possibility.

Each of those teams have strong play at LT, I would agree it is a huge need.

Carr will need to go through his progressions and get the ball out on time, it will be easier for him if he isn't worried about getting blindsided every third down.
Also, a flip side is...the Saints have more untapped potential on their O-Line than those other team due to the resources invested. This is why I'm so high/interested in Benton/Dennison and what they can potentially squeeze out of these guys.

It's kind of the one thing that makes them slightly different from the other teams...they have FAR more talent on the line...just can it be tapped

That's what I love about you EW... you're so humble!

Just kidding, I love your posts. I read more than I write and I read all your posts, very informative and I rarely disagree.
Touche, Ya know....when I was a kid my mother would always say "you think you're right about everything, your logic is trash" so I'm always either fighting against that perception by consistently trying to prove my points, or fighting w/ it by not trusting myself.

Fun life, glad you enjoy the post.

Interesting to say the least. I do believe the right scheme can help a whole lot. That being said when it’s 3rd and 13 your left tackle has to be able to step back and be on that island giving the QB adequate time.

That's true, but a major point of the new scheme is to avoid 3rd and 13. It's going to happen but if you limit it enough you can get by with less than stellar Tackles.

Plus, if Fuaga turns out to be who we think he is even if the LT is weak, you can give him some help with a TE or a chip.

That's what I got out of it. Strangely after we just got through taking a lineman in the 1st.

Nick is talking about what you need to have an OL in the average level in the NFL. Ideally, you want a top level OL and that takes adding talent. And, without Fuaga, we would have little to no shot of even having an average NFL OL.

That's true, but a major point of the new scheme is to avoid 3rd and 13.

Yup, if we are in 3rd and longs often, then the point is moot IMO.....I mean, nothing wrong with being optimistic about the oline, but I'm not comfortable with the personnel at this point, I hope they add some depth before the season starts, especially considering the Ram situation....

Yup, if we are in 3rd and longs often, then the point is moot IMO.....I mean, nothing wrong with being optimistic about the oline, but I'm not comfortable with the personnel at this point, I hope they add some depth before the season starts, especially considering the Ram situation....

My main concern is Penning. Maybe he turns it around and becomes an average starter, but it's certainly no guarantee that he can. If he can't we have a major failure point at LT and teams are going to attack it in every 3rd and long and 2 minute drill situation.

The new scheme should help avoid third and long, but it's going to happen and those tend to be the plays that determine who wins and who loses a game. You have to make those plays to win and that's hard to do when you are constantly having to protect you LT or your LT keeps giving up pressure.

Hopefully Penning can turn it around, but I would feel a lot better about the offense if they can find a average veteran LT who can play if Penning still isn't ready to start.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom