USMNT - ‘23 and beyond (2 Viewers)

team and greggg love undercutting the natrative

tomorrow is a 1-1 draw
you people need to learn to listen

2nd half was a bit more engaging than I assumed

Yes Brazil played off most of match, but friendly aside (considering level of opponent)
This was one of the better games in greggg era
(Like WC match v Eng)

This should do a LOT for Matt’s confidence- he must have stopped 3-4 Vini shots (among others)

Scally leapt up my board - I really liked his game today
Weah came to play too

Ream grew into a good defensive game but he was wobbly early
To the point where I wonder if Ream is the main reason we play backwards- he just doesn’t initiate an attack from the back well at all
(Am I romanticizing Brooks? Was Brooks much much better at distribution?)

good match

Last edited:
you people need to learn to listen

2nd half was a bit more engaging than I assumed

Yes Brazil played off most of match, but friendly aside (considering level of opponent)
This was one of the better games in greggg era
(Like WC match v Eng)

This should do a LOT for Matt’s confidence- he must have stopped 3-4 Vini shots (among others)

Scally leapt up my board - I really liked his game today
Weah came to play too

Ream grew into a good defensive game but he was wobbly early
To the point where I wonder if Ream is the main reason we play backwards- he just doesn’t initiate an attack from the back well at all
(Am I romanticizing Brooks? Was Brooks much much better at distribution?)

good match

So you can see what happens when we attack, even from our own 3rd. They either have to collapse on the ball or allow the player further up field, now bypassing mids, and making the CBs make a decision with little room for error.

We had more shots on goal in first 11 min than entire 90 vs Colombia.

Hustle and intensity totally different tonite.

I don't know why we have to wait to see game plan like this.

I'm still not feeling 100 about Turner. He did perform well after the mistake, but I feel he still to nervy over the ball.

I think the US is much more potent when we have an attacking attitude, especially when Musah gets on the ball and just heads up field. Scally had a couple runs as well, and you could see Brazil players were all 1/2 step late because they weren't expecting it.

So you were absolutely spot on about our play after Sunday night.

I just hope this proves to Berhalter that playing this style suits this team best. Placing too much responsibility on individual players stifles them. Let them create and this is the result.

A really good result vs a very talented Brazil who are always looking to win.

Tip cap to the players and Berhalter for making the needed adjustments.

Enjoyed watching eventho post tennis match I got a text and opened it to " Great Draw!!" Lolol didn't think to mute phone.

Holy smokes that may have been one of the best performances I have seen from a USMNT. Ok recency bias, but let me breakdown what I loved and didnt love.

I didnt love the change in tempo that lead to a weak footed kick from Turner and subsequently a goal when Scaly couldnt get back and Richardson was over marked. But that is forgivable with the no quit attitude that we displayed shortly after.

What I did love was the ACTIVE Defense. Usually we play a straight 4 line outside-in side-shift cover 1 style defense which sometimes leads to goals at the back post when a man gets unmarked or the defense gets lazy.

But this defense tonight felt like the team got a full 7-man makeover with a bum chewing from Phil Parkinson. If you watch closely you can see how the midfielders seem to have more clearly defined tactical assignments. We fill in the gaps with the midfielders and double up against a concerted move to center. It was impressive and everyone seemed to know his role and apply primary energy to the assignment. There were no stationary feet relying on shoulder checks and quick feet shuffles. The defense was moving and fully engaged as a concerted unit.

What I liked least about the defense was Tim Ream. It was probably the best game I have ever seen him play. He had incredible poise against a serious Brazil press. The problem though is that unless Tim is going to channel Michael Bradley I dont see how he will have the gas to make the starting XI in 2026. In fact Tim Ream is only a few months younger than Bradley.

I thought the attacks were sufficiently good for a defensive first mentality and I love that we are knocking balls from outside the 18 early in the match. That was a great goalkeeper we were making work. If we get our crosses to match the precision of our defense we are going to be a real tough draw for any squad.

The Brazil squad may not have been 2022 good (No Thiago Silva, Neymar, Dani Alves or Casemiro), but that was a genuine FIFA cup squad with Marquinhos, Vinni, Rodrygo, Paqueta, Raphinha, and the kid is legit.

I felt like for the first time since 1930 we arrived on a level playing field with the big stage contenders.

There is too much talent on this team not to show well on occasion, one friendly doesn’t change my opinion on Berhalter but it does reinforce to me that the players and on the field leadership are not the problem…..The mids and wings defended their arses off, that was the difference….and TBH except for some bad luck it should have been a victory…..

This is not something the US used to be capable of against a side like Brazil:

Had it not been for the strength of Weah on the ball at the very beginning of that clip, that would have been quite dangerous give away.

But in agreement that the USMNT skill level is best we have ever had.

Had it not been for the strength of Weah on the ball at the very beginning of that clip, that would have been quite dangerous give away.

But in agreement that the USMNT skill level is best we have ever had.

If my mom had balls she would be my dad.

This is not something the US used to be capable of against a side like Brazil:

Yes it’s an incredible sequence- I just fear that greggg is going to take away the wrong lesson
This should be plan C
Plan A should be the Weah to Scally to Wes to CP sequence I mentioned earlier

Ream and Turner should not be central to our distribution plan

Yes it’s an incredible sequence- I just fear that greggg is going to take away the wrong lesson
This should be plan C
Plan A should be the Weah to Scally to Wes to CP sequence I mentioned earlier

Ream and Turner should not be central to our distribution plan
A solid Plan A. In this case it was a concerted 5 man-press. I am just glad they were prepared enough to creatively Rondo their way out of it instead of forcing a Plan A or going with old Plan B (go over the top into a 1-on-5).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom