Vick is the highest rated Quarterback in the NFC South, (if you include rushing). (1 Viewer)

It's also kind of dumb because while a team usually has only one guy out of 11 on offense who is a decent passer, others can run the ball effectively -- Mike Vick's running yards come at some cost to his RBs and even WRs. Drew Brees' passing does not come at a cost to Reggie Bush's passing (as we saw against the Ravens).

That's the most valid objection, yes. A QB's job is to get others involved even at the cost of himself. Not suggesting it's perfect. But a QB who can run does contribute in that manner to the team, so it's a "lesser of two evils" sort of deal.

I got yer QB ratings right here:

Brees: 6-2
Vick: 5-3
Delhomme: 4-4
Gradkowski: 2-3
Simms: 0-3

It's also kind of dumb because while a team usually has only one guy out of 11 on offense who is a decent passer, others can run the ball effectively -- Mike Vick's running yards come at some cost to his RBs and even WRs. Drew Brees' passing does not come at a cost to Reggie Bush's passing (as we saw against the Ravens).

But a QB who is a legitimate scrambling threat and can freeze the LBs isn't taking anything away from anyone, and in fact he's opening up additional little slivers of opportunity in the short game, and making it a little riskier to play man if you can take off for 25 yards when everyone's back is turned.

It's like good and bad fielding pitchers; a lousy fielding pitcher who throws the ball down the right field line on a bunt doesn't get charged for earned runs; why not?

Adding in runs as completion skews the numbers in another way - there is no way to have an uncomplete run. If you run, you get a completion, if you throw, you have a chance one way or the other. If you were to make an accurate "QB rating," you would need to scale it such that a "run completion" did not equal the same thing as a "pass completion."

I assume you are quoting Ethanga62890 by the way. I was just in the process of writing this same post to the Falcons board.

Adding in runs as completion skews the numbers in another way - there is no way to have an uncomplete run. If you run, you get a completion, if you throw, you have a chance one way or the other. If you were to make an accurate "QB rating," you would need to scale it such that a "run completion" did not equal the same thing as a "pass completion."

I assume you are quoting Ethanga62890 by the way. I was just in the process of writing this same post to the Falcons board.

Well there is a way to have an "uncomplete run", it's a sack. There's a reason Vick has historically been one of the most sacked QBs in the NFL. Same with Randall Cunningham. They hold onto the ball to long in an attempt to make plays. There's a risk/reward with running the football just as passing (not to mention the possibility of an "interception", ie fumble).

Maybe adding runs skews the numbers, but why shouldn't it, it's safer to carry the ball in your arm than to throw it to some guy who might drop it.

And if the QB fumbles while running, well, that counts as an INT.

For me the "QB rating" or "passer rating" or whatever you want to call it should judge the following: when the guy drops back to pass on a called pass play, what are the overall results?

Once again, there is NO SUCH THING AS A QB RATING. Which is why running could never be included. It is a PASSER RATING. It is only a rating of what happens when the ball is thrown forward, regardless if it is a QB, RB, WR, or kicker that is doing the throwing.

they can have vick, i'll keep brees. I bet you half their fans would trade vick for brees but no saints fans would trade brees for vick

2006 New Orleans Saints 8 8 284 186 65.5 2206 7.77 86 14 7 8/52 26 7 95.2

his "rate" is a 95.2
I'm not sure if his rushing would knock that much off of it, but he hasn't been sacked much. maybe its all those -2's from kneeling the ball when we're winning. but seriously, just let those birds dwell in their own little worlds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom