Was the Saints' Front Office (e.g., Loomis) Fleeced on the Sean Payton Trade? (1 Viewer)

Broad St. Saint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Put aside for a moment the growing realization that the upgrade (downgrade?) from Dalton to Carr was not worth $150M.

For Payton, I had hoped for 2 #1s (less than Gruden), and was grudgingly ok with a 1 and a 2, not so happy with shipping back a 3 the other way.

But I am just a casual fan on a couch. Not an NFL GM. I'd hope they'd know better than me.

It now appears that Sean Payton is nothing less than a miracle worker. The Broncos looked left for dead last season, and Wilson's career was allegedly over.

But the Broncos' improvement this season, now on the verge of a 5th straight win over a playoff contending team, looks pretty incredible.

Did the Saints' front office not realize the value of what they had, despite working with Payton for a decade and a half? A first and a late second, getting back a third, for such a coach seems like a steal. If I were the Saints' new GM, and someone was willing to trade me a Sean Payton for that tomorrow, I'd make that deal.

They thought
Put aside for a moment the growing realization that the upgrade (downgrade?) from Dalton to Carr was not worth $150M.

For Payton, I had hoped for 2 #1s (less than Gruden), and was grudgingly ok with a 1 and a 2, not so happy with shipping back a 3 the other way.

But I am just a casual fan on a couch. Not an NFL GM. I'd hope they'd know better than me.

It now appears that Sean Payton is nothing less than a miracle worker. The Broncos looked left for dead last season, and Wilson's career was allegedly over.

But the Broncos' improvement this season, now on the verge of a 5th straight win over a playoff contending team, looks pretty incredible.

Did the Saints' front office not realize the value of what they had, despite working with Payton for a decade and a half? A first and a late second, getting back a third, for such a coach seems like a steal. If I were the Saints' new GM, and someone was willing to trade me a Sean Payton for that tomorrow, I'd make that deal.
they thought they were the reason why we had won for all of those years. Sean was forced out. So would it be surprising that they undervalued him in a trade ? No that would not be surprising

This will be one of the few times I will take up for the Saints' front office, but I think Loomis and Denver made a fair trade. At the end, only one team seriously pursued Payton, and there was a ceiling in the draft compensation that the team wanting Payton was going to pay and that Payton going to the team giving up draft picks would accept.

Even with Denver's recent success, I would have preferred Denver's 2024 one-round pick rather its very late 2023 first-round pick. But regarding the question posed, I do not believe that Loomis was fleeced. I do think he was fleeced by Philadelphia with his 2022 trade and made a mistake (in retrospect, huge) in signing Derek Carr. But those are different issues.

Sean was brilliant his last season with us. If there were any doubts about his greatness as a coach, the pandemic season alone should've silenced them. I would've loved to have let him choose his next QB and guide us to more Super Bowls for the next decade+. That we let him leave the building for any price short of naming him Supreme Emperor of Louisiana is unconscionable.

Yeah, we got fleeced.

I said that from the day the trade was announced, you can go back and read my posts to see. I said SP was worth 2 #1s and a #2 But half of you said we got a late #1 and a #2 for nothing SMH

Since I didn't answer my own question, I will now. I think the front office a) undervalued SP as a coach, b) severely overvalued DA as a coach, and c) thought it would be an upgrade for the FO because DA is probably easier to work with.

I suspect SP, like his mentor Parcells, and Bellichick, is probably not easy to work with. So if you can get enough wins to get tickets sold, why not make your life easier?

The only ones who lose are the players (bye bye HOF, Kamara) and the fans.

Yes we should have gotten the same deal that was made for Belicheck and nothing less

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom