Was the Saints' Front Office (e.g., Loomis) Fleeced on the Sean Payton Trade? (1 Viewer)

Not only that...we didn't do enough to try and bury him in the current contract. I would've taken it to court to try and ensure that he owed us 2 years of service and not just through 2 calendar years work or not.

Put aside for a moment the growing realization that the upgrade (downgrade?) from Dalton to Carr was not worth $150M.

For Payton, I had hoped for 2 #1s (less than Gruden), and was grudgingly ok with a 1 and a 2, not so happy with shipping back a 3 the other way.

But I am just a casual fan on a couch. Not an NFL GM. I'd hope they'd know better than me.

It now appears that Sean Payton is nothing less than a miracle worker. The Broncos looked left for dead last season, and Wilson's career was allegedly over.

But the Broncos' improvement this season, now on the verge of a 5th straight win over a playoff contending team, looks pretty incredible.

Did the Saints' front office not realize the value of what they had, despite working with Payton for a decade and a half? A first and a late second, getting back a third, for such a coach seems like a steal. If I were the Saints' new GM, and someone was willing to trade me a Sean Payton for that tomorrow, I'd make that deal.
I don’t believe the front office is the entity that has been fleeced. It is Gayle who has been fleeced.

They thought

they thought they were the reason why we had won for all of those years. Sean was forced out. So would it be surprising that they undervalued him in a trade ? No that would not be surprising

Where are you getting the information that he was forced out, and that the decision wasn't his?

They thought

they thought they were the reason why we had won for all of those years. Sean was forced out. So would it be surprising that they undervalued him in a trade ? No that would not be surprising
What is it with these conspiracies that Payton was forced out? This is like the 3rd one I've read. Sorry but that is ridiculous. Provide some evidence on that.

Opinions on this forum varied all over the place as to what the Payton Trade would yield in terms of draft compensation.

When Belichick went to New England in 2000, the Jets received from New England the Patriots' 1st round pick in 2000 (pick 16), and 4th and 7th round picks in 2001. However, the Jets sent to New England their 5th round pick in 2001 and 7th round pick in 2002. Essentially, the compensation was the 16th pick in the 2000 draft. And if we go back 53 years, Baltimore received from Miami a first-round pick for the rights to sign Don Shula.

No team was going to give the Saints two 1st round picks. The price was always a 1st round pick and something else.

Even though Bresee looks like a good selection, the problem with the deal Loomis made was wanting an immediate 1st round pick (which was perhaps the 30th pick in the draft) because he was desperate after the stupid trade he made with Philadelphia.

It's the problem with this team's management. They make deals always thinking about today and never tomorrow. They trade away their future picks, and when the next draft takes place, they get desperate looking to replace the picks they traded away and make more bad trades.

When Belichick went to New England in 2000, the Jets received from New England the Patriots' 1st round pick in 2000 (pick 16), and 4th and 7th round picks in 2001. However, the Jets sent to New England their 5th round pick in 2001 and 7th round pick in 2002. Essentially, the compensation was the 16th pick in the 2000 draft. And if we go back 53 years, Baltimore received from Miami a first-round pick for the rights to sign Don Shula.

No team was going to give the Saints two 1st round picks. The price was always a 1st round pick and something else.

Even though Bresee looks like a good selection, the problem with the deal Loomis made was wanting an immediate 1st round pick (which was perhaps the 30th pick in the draft) because he was desperate after the stupid trade he made with Philadelphia.

It's the problem with this team's management. They make deals always thinking about today and never tomorrow. They trade away their future picks, and when the next draft takes place, they get desperate looking to replace the picks they traded away and make more bad trades.
They employed this strategy all throught Paytons tenure as HC. I agree it's very short sighted to trade picks like they did.

What is it with these conspiracies that Payton was forced out? This is like the 3rd one I've read. Sorry but that is ridiculous. Provide some evidence on that.

Opinions on this forum varied all over the place as to what the Payton Trade would yield in terms of draft compensation.

A very trusted source posted on here not too long ago that Payton had a lot of say and wanted a lot of say on things and I guess that started to become a no-no for some folks in the Saints organization.

And I'm not saying he was forced out, but just saying that they became more willing to let him go and made it easier for Payton to leave.

I went down a whole rabbit hole on this person's post history here and it was eye opening. This person very quietly drops inside info from time to time.

But at the end of the day, he has proven to be mvp and we should have done everything possible to keep Payton on board.

He can't without giving up his source, however, so far @REBELMATT has been spot on in the past. For what it's worth. and as I have stated before, unlike most that come through here pushing rumors, I consider REBELMATT to be a credible source.

He can't without giving up his source, however, so far @REBELMATT has been spot on in the past. For what it's worth. and as I have stated before, unlike most that come through here pushing rumors, I consider REBELMATT to be a credible source.
Andrus, I would think one can provide some form of evidence without giving up any source. I'm unconvinced that Payton was forced out. If that were the case, it would have been front and center back in 2021 when Payton stepped down. Why would this surface two years later? And the only person who would force him out is Loomis and is that whats being suggested? And if so, why on earth would they promote someone from his staff? Just doesn't make sense on top of all that.

You're right. After going down the rabbit hole of his post history, I'm sick. I didn't realize this was the same guy. I can't believe this franchise has turned into what it has.

Andrus, I would think one can provide some form of evidence without giving up any source. I'm unconvinced that Payton was forced out. If that were the case, it would have been front and center back in 2021 when Payton stepped down. Why would this surface two years later? And the only person who would force him out is Loomis and is that whats being suggested? And if so, why on earth would they promote someone from his staff? Just doesn't make sense on top of all that.

This guy is credible. Go back and look.

I keep telling people the truth will start to trickle out eventually. Loomis and co thought Allen was plug and play. A hall of fame coach doesn’t retire all of a sudden and come back a year later. Things started changing several
Years back and the writing was on the wall. I have a feeling once this coaching staff is gone maybe the local media, who knows more than they’ll say, might start pushing some of it out.

The timing of Gayle's succession plan and Sean's "retiring" seems super super fishy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom