What’s your must obscure, random Saints fact? (1 Viewer)

AARPSaint

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Saints are the only team in NFL history to play a HOME game in their opponents stadium (New York Giants)
I was there thanks to Andrus's selling me his ticket. Our seats were fantastic, like front row. The Giants apparently had no cheerleaders at that time, and the guys around us were going crazy over the Saintsations.

NeverGiveUP2

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
My first season ticket in 1968 was a 10-game package (3 pre-season, 7 regular-season). Total cost: $15.00. That's $1.50 per game. You cant buy a single item in the Super Dome now for $1.50. It was part of a "youth ticket" program that carried into the first year of games in the Super Dome. The price went up slowly over time but not significantly.

And I truly was there for Dempsey's famous kick. My seats were about 20 rows up right behind the goalposts in the north endzone. I had a very good look at the ball as it inched over. Tulane Stadium went absolutely crazy.
We had tickets to the first SB in New Orleans but my dad was POd that they moved us from our 25 yard line season tickets to the goal line. So h scalped those for $25 and repurchased 30 yard line tickets go $20. I truly think my dad was the first ticket broker in front of the stadium. He would send me into the stadium and show up right after kickoff with a pocket full of money. Different times back then in a lot of ways

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Saints were up 17 to 3 going into the fourth quarter and lost by three points.
^Still not as bad as the Falcons. :hihi:

Here's one:
The Saints were known as the one of the poorest expansion teams for the first 20 years of their existence. However, it is noteworthy that the 12 wins that they racked up during their first three years in the league (1967-69) was the best winning percentage of any expansion team prior to that time.

(*Newer franchises have since bettered that record.)

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In 2003 the saints had the biggest roller coaster sequence in the history of football that i can remember...river city relay.
And the players involved won a ESPY for it. :9:

John Carney didn't get an award.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't expect us to get far in the playoffs, but back then just making it to the playoffs mattered to me a great deal.

I wasn't implying that the ship had sailed on the Haslett era in general, I was saying that that particular season we'd lost whatever energy we'd had during the 6-1 start and I sincerely thought we were just gonna get stomped in our first playoff game even if we'd made it. These were the records of the teams we played going into our games with them during that season-ending freefall:

3-10 Vikings
1-13 Bengals
6-9 Panthers

Cumulatively, 10-32 for a .238 winning decimal or what extrapolates to 3.8 wins over a 16 game schedule. I just couldn't muster that degree of blind faith and if I could've then I'm sure there are more than a few time share salesmen who'd love to take me out to lunch one day.

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
Former Super Bowl 3 champion, Kansas City Chiefs coach Hank Stram became coach of the Saints. He coached the Saints to an even 8 & 8 season while Mecham was still the owner.
That's not true.

He went 7-21 in his only 2 seasons as head coach of the Saints.

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Easily the most brutal loss to that point for me as a Saint fan from about 74.. never forget it- Monday night game, thought we were finally going to the playoffs. just awful- hated those Ram teams
Owid Allen (O.A.) “Bum” Phillips wouldn’t let Morten Anderson kick a 50 yd field goal. Instead, he opted to punt it to the Rams (...who up to that point hadn’t moved the ball all day). :mad:

:gosaints:

NeverGiveUP2

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Circa 1979? The year before we lost on Hail Marys twice to the Falcons. They go 9-7 we go 7-9. You do the math. We open against. Yep the Falcons. Labor Day weekend. All summer some radio hack named Scoot hyped “We Hate the “Falcons “. T-shirts were printed. Again the Dome was rocking. Labor Day. Off on Monday. Overtime. And Russel E. Muffs a snap and throws a game losing INT. Lord I have been through some heartache 😆

Btw why don’t we open on Labor Day. That used to be awesome

Reaction score
The Saints were on the wrong end of the largest ever comeback in regular season history. Blew a 28 point lead to the Niners in 1980.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)