What is the strangest meat you have eaten? (2 Viewers)

My best answer is "I don't know"...I'm not one to shy away from trying different foods, but two different instances come to mind.

The first was in China when we were doing 'hot pot' style. This is where there is a pot of broth at the center of the table, pot is heated from below, and they give you all sorts of veggies and meats to put into the broth. We had three different carts of bowls, I don't remember the exact count but I would guess 15-20 and we tried every single one of them. Some were better than others, but overall it was very enjoyable. At some point I inquired with our native host as to the types of meats and I was told in short order (with a slight smile), "don't ask!!..." :oops::oops:. Nonetheless, it was good... I can only guess.

Another time was in Kuala Lumpar airport in one of the special elite-class lounges. I don't recall how I was able to get in, but I did... Anyways, they had a huge array of different regional Asian foods and I started at one end and worked my way towards the other end. There was some seriously good grub, but when I hit the Korean dishes my good ride took a wild turn. There was one dish with a thick reddish sauce and chunks of things. The visual was okay, but it was the smell that set off the alarm... and so of course I took a couple of spoonfuls. There was a clear relation between the god awful smell and the taste, but the taste won handily. It remains the single worst bite of meat/food/whatever I've ever had. Seriously, whatever concoction it was left an incredibly horrid taste in my mouth that lingered for days. I simply could not get rid of it by rinsing, scrubbing, gargling, mouth breathing, washing it down with beer, etc.. no matter what I tried, it was still there.. It basically had wear off. To live, you need to push the limits and expand your world... I definitely found a line in the sand that day...ugh.

My real answer is turtle at my Cambodian friend's house in high school. I was at her house one day, she didn't have any pets but I kept hearing this scratching noise. I asked her wtf it was and she opened a cooler and there were turtles in there and she said her mom was going to make soup with them. So of course I had to try it.

I also have had sting ray ceviche in Ecuador as well as guinea pig.

My real answer is turtle at my Cambodian friend's house in high school. I was at her house one day, she didn't have any pets but I kept hearing this scratching noise. I asked her What the Fork! it was and she opened a cooler and there were turtles in there and she said her mom was going to make soup with them. So of course I had to try it.

I also have had sting ray ceviche in Ecuador as well as guinea pig.

Haven’t you spent time living in NOLA? (I honestly can’t remember if I ever knew). Anyway, turtle soup is a thing. But I’ve never had Cambodian( if that is how it was prepared). I would though. IWEI

And as a side note, I’m not a big fan of turtle soup as it is prepared here. I love salty but that is ridiculous

Possum with applesauce, yes it’s rank

How were the squid balls?
So our table ordered it as a funny
But when the balls came out, all joking stopped - the balls were moving!!

Eventually we saw that it was s light panko crust and it was the steam making the flakes waft ever so slightly

Too much sake at that point to really remember the taste

You know...I've eaten a lot of weird things and I love Japanese cuisine, but I've never been able to bring myself to eat eel.

You know...I've eaten a lot of weird things and I love Japanese cuisine, but I've never been able to bring myself to eat eel.

It is in my opinion one of the best items. But it tastes just like a firm fish. Swordfish maybe. But the BBQ as they call it is the best part. It’s kind of sweet but nothing like BBQ sauce and I don’t pick up much smoke so it isn’t exactly what we would consider real BBQ either.

Haven’t you spent time living in NOLA? (I honestly can’t remember if I ever knew). Anyway, turtle soup is a thing. But I’ve never had Cambodian( if that is how it was prepared). I would though. IWEI

And as a side note, I’m not a big fan of turtle soup as it is prepared here. I love salty but that is ridiculous
As unique as the soup was, for the life of me I cannot remember if it was good or bad or what I thought about it. That was a lonnng time ago.

ETA: I have never lived in NOLA or Louisiana (Texas girl now living in Cali)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom