What's the long-term impact of this? (1 Viewer)

Remember how you felt after the Minnesota game last year? Just give it some time. Sign a few good WR and start pulling for an MVP season for Drew and a rematch with the Rams.

What happened at Minnesota was the result of players making plays or not making plays. What happened yesterday was an avoidable tragedy perpetrated by those in charge of maintaining the game's integrity. Big difference.

Remember how you felt after the Minnesota game last year? Just give it some time. Sign a few good WR and start pulling for an MVP season for Drew and a rematch with the Rams.

Good WRs won't stop refs from screwing the Saints in the biggest moments.

The Minnesota miracle was easy to get over because it was our screwup. You knew we could fix it. Signing players won't fix this and that's why it's hitting people far harder. We didn't have hundreds of fans on this forum saying they were done with football last year.

What happened at Minnesota was the result of players making plays or not making plays. What happened yesterday was an avoidable tragedy perpetrated by those in charge of maintaining the game's integrity. Big difference.

Bingo.

Multiple effects and no onc cares. Some I thought of...

1. Saints are 1-3 in NFC Championship games with 1 SB appearance. We should be 2-3 with 2 trips to the SB. This effects Payton/Brees legacy.

2. My 11 and 8 year old's are really into the Saints. My daugther more so than my son. She was looking foward to this game all week. It would have been a SB memory for her. Not to be.

heck...think I will just stop there.

I'm permanently out. The relationships I've built over the years while following the Saints will still be there, but I can't continue investing my time, energy and finances in a product I know is not on the up-and-up. I dropped pro wrestling like a hot potato at about age 12. Pro boxing at about 18. Can't believe it took until almost 60 to run from the NFL. College football is next I'm afraid.

College is no better. The system is broken. Look at how Bama gets to backdoor into the playoffs every other year. Saban is allowed to hire 50 analysts and process recruits out. It's probably more corrupt than the NFL.

Long term? Lagging ticket and merchandise sales and decreasing viewership in NOLA forces the team to look elsewhere. NFL steps in and moves them to LA, so now LA has 3 teams and the Saints are treated like the Rams and Chargers ugly step sister until the Rapture occurs and the world as we know it cease to exist.

I'm really sorry, I haven't stopped drinking due to the game.

After the 09 Championship game we were the reason for the OT change and now we will be the reason for PI calls being changed so look on the bright side we are making an impact.

If you think about it, Minnesota was the same thing. Yes, out player made the mistake but he made it because he was scared of a flag. Inconsistent and stupid officiating directly and indirectly robbed us two years in a row.

Will be really interesting to see how this impacts ticket sales, ratings in NOLA moving forward. Just perusing this board of diehards, it's pretty clear it's going to be hurt to some degree. Everything is raw now so many that are saying they're finished may be back by the time the draft rolls around.

But others, like me, were on halfway on the fence already and this just impaled me.

Part of my youth and something I loved died yesterday. I don't think it will be back. It's not worth it knowing that it's so random at best, fake at worst.

Sad day for thousands of New Orleans football fans and could change the city and team forever. Maybe this is an overreaction. We'll see.
It depends on what kind of excitement they can generate next season.

If they notice ticket sales, attendance, excitement drop off, as the season starts they'll run some hhype and promotions. League office might even try to help reel us rubes back in.

But I fear this was the best shot left. If Drew comes back and the deep ball is gone and we have to become more like the Bears and Ravens, you can still win games but I don't think the defense will be quite at the level needed to win a championship with that formula. It will be a lot tougher on the offense with defenses cheating down if the range of throws is more limited as they seem to have been lately.

If the team doesn't start the season strong and hopeful or gets jobbed again early it could compound what happened here.

Day 1 Faithful, but barring some major NFL contrition -- Goodell resigning would be nice -- probably finally done with the cartel. Fought the good fight, but "can't fight city hall".

Seems pointless that myriad things fall into place (personnel, coaching, execution, legitimate breaks) during a great season like this and are all swept away in an instant of injustice.

It's happening more frequently, even though it's happening more frequently. No effort to adapt and improve the product, just lip service. If the league doesn't care, why should I?

Day 1 Faithful, but barring some major NFL contrition -- Goodell resigning would be nice -- probably finally done with the cartel. Fought the good fight, but "can't fight city hall".

Seems pointless that myriad things fall into place (personnel, coaching, execution, legitimate breaks) during a great season like this and are all swept away in an instant of injustice.

It's happening more frequently, even though it's happening more frequently. No effort to adapt and improve the product, just lip service. If the league doesn't care, why should I?

Actually, that's it. The ONLY thing that could get me to come back is the immediate firing/resignation of Goodell.

Good WRs won't stop refs from screwing the Saints in the biggest moments.
The Minnesota miracle was easy to get over because it was our screwup. Signing players won't fix this and that's why it's hitting people far harder. We didn't have hundreds of fans on this forum saying they were done with football last year.

Yep. I’m one of em. My sadness is actually that this has been my go to for 22 years. (SR)

I’m not sad about the NFL, as I detached long ago and already decided when 9 hangs em up I’ll be fully gone too.

And no, I won’t do an attention seeking goodbye thread. SR rocks, but if I fully detach I don’t have the need to be here.
(I know, when I go it will be the ‘Bye’ meme. Lol.

I just have become more skeptical of the direction of the league for the past few years and this one was so blatant that it was the cherry on top for me.

No one will make me believe that the league isn’t narrative and agenda driven. Like no one will make me believe that we were not the best team this year before the o line injuries and heck we almost overcame them too.

I am sad for Drew as that non call will change his legacy and Sean’s imo.

Absolutely. This feels so different than last year. I'm used to losing based on the ineptitude of players or coaches. That makes me angry. I know how to process that emotion. I can do it with my eyes closed. Players can improve, coaches can make better decisions. But there is no referee drill. There aren't any plays you can draw up to beat a ref. Every single play in your playbook can be nullified by a referee. They get the final say. Not you.

So no. Not even close to what happened in Minnesota. This is akin to the feelings I had surrounding Bountygate. There is no processing of those emotions. They don't go anywhere. They don't leave. They don't become easier to deal with. You never forget and you never forgive.

I woke up this morning thinking I'd be a little better than I was last night before I fell asleep. Then I saw these tweets. I won't ever be better. This one will hurt worse than Seattle, SF and Minnesota combined.

Just sick and tired of the Saints being on the wrong side of history. From john carney missed extra point after the river city relay, to the culpepper muffed snap and 2pt conversion, beastquake, losing to the 49rs at the end of the game, worst defense in the history of the nfl, expansion browns first win off a hail mary pass, last year losing in the final 12 seconds, this year losing due to non-call. I'm sure theres plenty others I've forgotten.
I'm just tired of this crap always happening. Meanwhile you have the 'golden child' brady in his 900th superbowl.
After following the Saints for over half my life, I think I've reached my limit of heartbreak. I don't think I can watch next season, only to have them lose in yet another dumbfounded manner.

Absolutely. This feels so different than last year. I'm used to losing based on the ineptitude of players or coaches. That makes me angry. I know how to process that emotion. I can do it with my eyes closed. Players can improve, coaches can make better decisions. But there is no referee drill. There aren't any plays you can draw up to beat a ref. Every single play in your playbook can be nullified by a referee. They get the final say. Not you.

So no. Not even close to what happened in Minnesota. This is akin to the feelings I had surrounding Bountygate. There is no processing of those emotions. They don't go anywhere. They don't leave. They don't become easier to deal with. You never forget and you never forgive.

I woke up this morning thinking I'd be a little better than I was last night before I fell asleep. Then I saw these tweets. I won't ever be better. This one will hurt worse than Seattle, SF and Minnesota combined.

It's that what this has cemented for me is something "kafkaesque" about NFL games, to use and SAT word. Basically, when thinking about a football game now, I don't really look forward to it...I have the sense of dread like you do if you're going to City Hall to try to fight the power...

You can't win and you know they have a million tricks to counter your best most just approaches. And they'll do it soulessly and remorselessly.

You now feel every play whether by bad call or no call is an opportunity for punishment, not for enjoyment, entertainment or escape. The purpose being a fan is negated...it's not rewarding, it's punitive. Makes you feel like a chump and dupe.

So...you have to pull back.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom