Where there's smoke there's fire. (2 Viewers)

I agree that the Ds improvement is a factor but I also think the effectiveness of our running game is why you likely won’t see another 5k season…

If we can't find another good RB and Kamara is out for the first 6 games, Winston is going to have to carry the offense for the first 6 weeks.

Yeah, but the offense should probably change back to the the Air Coryel 40 Burger offense with Winston at QB in order to take advantage of what he does best. The short passing Drew Brees offense doesn't really play to his strengths with the deep routes and long balls. Of course, that will require the addition of some WRs who can run deep routes.

Anyway, my point was really just that even if Winston repeats his worst season ever, we are still a likely playoff team do out first round pick next year is likely to be in the 20s or higher.

Having the deep ball in the gameplan doesn’t mean we don’t maintain balance….if we are passing for 5k a season that means we are likely playing from behind more than we would like….

Honestly even if Winston repeats his 2019 worst season with 5,000 yards, 33 TDs, and 30 Interceptions season we could still make the playoffs with our defense. I don't think Winston will repeat the interceptions part of that but if he just gets say 4,000 yards, 25 TDs, and 10 Interceptions (which is around average for him or a little better than average for him) we will easily be a playoff team.

I'm not saying we can't be a playoff team. We almost were last year. I want to be a super bowl team. If we don't draft a QB this year, clearly we think either Jameis or Book can win a super bowl because I don't see any other help coming at QB until 2025. You can get tackles and receivers outside of the first round. Not quarterbacks.

If we can't find another good RB and Kamara is out for the first 6 games, Winston is going to have to carry the offense for the first 6 weeks.

IF Kamara is suspended I’m confident we will have enough quality backs to maintain a decent running game…especially if we get some OT help in the draft

LiveFromDC had an excellent thread on the quote from the Panthers GM about how the tackles will be the best players available but they need a QB. Sounds like our fans are starting to make the same mistake GM's from perennial losers make.

I agree with most of you that if the saints draft a wr and ot would help the saints get into the playoffs. And that with this defense we don't need a franchise quarterback to make it. But I'm an old saints fan and remember the days of the dome patrol. Yes we won a lot of games and made the playoffs, but If we got behind in a game we didn't have a quarterback that could bring us back. Not until we had a franchise quarterback in Drew, could we make a comeback. Much rather the 2009 season with a middle of the pack defense and a #1 offense. The goal is not just to make the playoffs its to win a superbowl

Having the deep ball in the gameplan doesn’t mean we don’t maintain balance….if we are passing for 5k a season that means we are likely playing from behind more than we would like….

I mean, Brees did that not playing from behind. But, anyway, I do think it's unlikely that Winston throws for 5,000 yards but I don't think we are going to run the same ball control with short passes that we did the last few years. It does not play to what Winston does best. He is working on his short passing game, but it's never going to be what he does best. So, we need a return to the three level passing game with a deep route on almost every play. Winston also is really good at play action so we will need to run the ball so that we hopefully do more of that. But I don't think we are going to be a team that runs the ball more than it throws like we were last year. At worst we will try to achieve a 50/50 balance, but I suspect it will be more like 60/40 pass to run. It's time to take the handcuffs off Winston so we can see what he can do. We have to know if he will succeed running a high scoring offense or not and next year is the best time to do that because we will soon have to decide if he is a franchise QB or not. So, we have to let him try to do franchise QB things.

I mean, Brees did that not playing from behind. But, anyway, I do think it's unlikely that Winston throws for 5,000 yards but I don't think we are going to run the same ball control with short passes that we did the last few years. It does not play to what Winston does best. He is working on his short passing game, but it's never going to be what he does best. So, we need a return to the three level passing game with a deep route on almost every play. Winston also is really good at play action so we will need to run the ball so that we hopefully do more of that. But I don't think we are going to be a team that runs the ball more than it throws like we were last year. At worst we will try to achieve a 50/50 balance, but I suspect it will be more like 60/40 pass to run. It's time to take the handcuffs off Winston so we can see what he can do. We have to know if he will succeed running a high scoring offense or not and next year is the best time to do that because we will soon have to decide if he is a franchise QB or not. So, we have to let him try to do franchise QB things.

I think we had one good year when Brees threw for 5k. Most of his 5k or close to 5k years were our 7-9, 8-8 years.

I'm not saying we can't be a playoff team. We almost were last year. I want to be a super bowl team. If we don't draft a QB this year, clearly we think either Jameis or Book can win a super bowl because I don't see any other help coming at QB until 2025. You can get tackles and receivers outside of the first round. Not quarterbacks.

I mean, I think they are going to give Winston a chance to prove that he can be a franchise QB and he has two years to prove it. So, they have to get him what he needs to have a chance to succeed. That's especially the case without a first round pick next year. That really seems to solidify Winston getting 2 years to prove it unless a rookie QB from this year comes in and beats him out this year or next year.

Still if he should somehow fall on his face this year, they could still try to trade for an established franchise QB, trade even more future picks to get up high in the 1st next year, or just wait another year to draft a QB. Anyway, I do think they will take a shot at drafting a QB in this draft. Either one that falls to #16 or a guy they like in the 2nd or 3rd.

I think we had one good year when Brees threw for 5k. Most of his 5k or close to 5k years were our 7-9, 8-8 years.

I think that's right. Anyway, like I said, I don't think it's likely that he throws for 5,000 yards or that it would necessarily be a good idea. I'm just saying that I think we have a shot at the playoffs even if he duplicates his worst year ever which was 5,000 yards, 33 TDs, and 30 Ints. I mean, like you said were were basically a .500 team while doing that in the past and we didn't have close to the defense we have now. Although Brees obviously didn't throw 30 Interceptions in any of those year, I think the much better defense evens that out so we are a team with a shot at the playoffs just like we were in those .500 years.

Two actually (2011 & 2013), but your point stands...

2008 - 5069 (8-8)
2011 - 5476 (13-3)
2012 - 5177 (7-9)
2013 - 5162 (11-5)
2014 - 4952 (7-9)
2015 - 4870 (7-9)
2016 - 5208 (7-9)

If they trade up in a weak QB class, then they better be right. I don’t see why to do it this year when next years draft is much better for a QB. Of course everyone can be wrong and a great QB can end up coming out of this years draft.

If they trade up in a weak QB class, then they better be right. I don’t see why to do it this year when next years draft is much better for a QB. Of course everyone can be wrong and a great QB can end up coming out of this years draft.
Everyone seems to keep saying this, but I don't see it.... Who are these amazing QBs next year?

Rattler - got benched at Oklahoma which is a QB's dream team/coach to play for
Slovis - He's ok I guess.
Jurkovec, Daniels, McKee - Who? ;)
Hooker - Playing in a very friendly QB system under Heupel.
JT Daniels - Benched for a walk-on that won the Natty.

It could happen. I don't have the pick value charts available, but I would think that a QB would have to fall into the 12 to 15 range to be able to move up with just a later round pick to get a QB. Moving into the top 10 is really expensive and if a QB is in the board even outside the top 10 that pick becomes more expensive.

I just hope they wait and let this draft come to them in the 1st. You take whoever you have rated as the BPA at #16 and #19 that is at a position of need. That's likely to be WR and LT. But, it could be DT, S, or even DE depending on how the board falls. It could also be QB, but that seems highly unlikely.

That being said the Saints have always been aggressive in the draft and going to get two first round picks this year shows they will remain aggressive even without Payton so they do seem likely to move up if they are targeting a guy. I just hope they keep both 1st round picks and our 2nd round pick in the process.
Agree. If we plan to move up, it would take a 1st and possibly several later round picks depending on the trade partners areas of need. I don't like this approach though because we need the picks. With the trade to Philly, we are going into the 2023 draft in an unfavorable position- unless Payton decides to coach again and we receive compensation because he's technically under contract.

The FO could also draft RT and slide Ram to LT. Hurst could start at RT with our draft pick rotating in. Either way, I agree with the BPA approach. Hopefully we have a WR and T available to choose from.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom