Where there's smoke there's fire. (1 Viewer)

The FO could package one of our firsts along with picks in the later rounds to move up if someone is willing to bite. We could keep our other first for WR. Not saying I agree but if QB is the move for DA, this could happen if Pickett is there.

It could happen. I don't have the pick value charts available, but I would think that a QB would have to fall into the 12 to 15 range to be able to move up with just a later round pick to get a QB. Moving into the top 10 is really expensive and if a QB is in the board even outside the top 10 that pick becomes more expensive.

I just hope they wait and let this draft come to them in the 1st. You take whoever you have rated as the BPA at #16 and #19 that is at a position of need. That's likely to be WR and LT. But, it could be DT, S, or even DE depending on how the board falls. It could also be QB, but that seems highly unlikely.

That being said the Saints have always been aggressive in the draft and going to get two first round picks this year shows they will remain aggressive even without Payton so they do seem likely to move up if they are targeting a guy. I just hope they keep both 1st round picks and our 2nd round pick in the process.

any chance we stay put and draft ridder?

Apparently there are rumors that we like Ridder. No idea if they are true or just smoke we sent out to hide our interest in another player. I wouldn't love taking Ridder at #16 or #19 since I think he's a 2nd or 3rd round guy, but if they have a strong belief in the guy I'd be okay with the pick. He does fit what I think is the future and maybe present of NFL QBs, guys that can throw from the pocket, but also have the athletic ability to get first downs and TD with their legs and extend plays for big plays. Guys like Allen, Burrow, Mahommes, Rodgers, Watson, and Wilson.

That was my original hope. I think he'll be the top QB in this class when all is said and done.

However, since then we lost our LT and we really didn't address the WR in FA like I thought we might.
My gut now says LT and WR in the draft.
But if by some miracle, Ritter is there for us in the 2nd, I don't see how they could pass on him.

That was my original hope. I think he'll be the top QB in this class when all is said and done.

However, since then we lost our LT and we really didn't address the WR in FA like I thought we might.
My gut now says LT and WR in the draft.
But if by some miracle, Ritter is there for us in the 2nd, I don't see how they could pass on him.

I think there is at least one, maybe two or three, QBs in this class that the Saints really like. I don't think it's at the trade into the top 10 or top 5 level like. That would be love. But, I think if one of those guys is there at #16 or #19 they will take him. I think when they traded to get two 1st round picks, the plan was to be able to get two starters that were likely to be at LT and WR. But, I think they felt that they would be good with whoever fell to those spots including some of the QBs, DTs, a Safety, and DEs.

I don't know who that QB is. I don't see a guy outside of Pickett and Willis that I think would be worth the #16 pick, but I'm just a fan and the scouts, Loomis, Ireland and the coaching staff know better than me. The guys I think fit what they want are probably Pickett, Willis, Ridder, and Howell. Maybe Coral too. And, I definitely think they would take a QB in the 2nd if the right one is there. Or even trade up higher in the 2nd to get a QB.

They kind of backed themselves into a corner on that one. They can’t draft one in the first round next year now. And it would be more difficult to trade up in 2024 without a second. If they want a first round QB before 2025, the time is now.
If we have poor qb play in 2023, won’t be any need to trade up much since we’ll be drafting high anyway in 2024.

If we have poor qb play in 2023, won’t be any need to trade up much since we’ll be drafting high anyway in 2024.

We can win with very average QBs. We did last year. We just won't win any championships. And we won't be in position to draft a top QB. What if we throw 40 picks in 2022? We stick with the same guys until 2024? I don't think we'll put ourselves in that position. I think we're drafting a QB this year.

I've heard Ridder speculated to us at 16 by some draft types. That would allow us to still get a tackle or wr at 19. I don't remember if we expressed any interest in Ridder. I know we have on Willis, Pickett, and Howell. It could all be smoke screens though.

I think there is at least one, maybe two or three, QBs in this class that the Saints really like. I don't think it's at the trade into the top 10 or top 5 level like. That would be love. But, I think if one of those guys is there at #16 or #19 they will take him. I think when they traded to get two 1st round picks, the plan was to be able to get two starters that were likely to be at LT and WR. But, I think they felt that they would be good with whoever fell to those spots including some of the QBs, DTs, a Safety, and DEs.

I don't know who that QB is. I don't see a guy outside of Pickett and Willis that I think would be worth the #16 pick, but I'm just a fan and the scouts, Loomis, Ireland and the coaching staff know better than me. The guys I think fit what they want are probably Pickett, Willis, Ridder, and Howell. Maybe Coral too. And, I definitely think they would take a QB in the 2nd if the right one is there. Or even trade up higher in the 2nd to get a QB.
I had a similar thought, that maybe they've ranked the quarterbacks available about the same, so they've put themselves in position see if one falls to them in the teens and will then consider taking who's left. That way they could draft a quarterback of the future while still getting (hopefully) an immediate impact guy at another position.

My preference would be to go OT and either DT or WR in the first, and then if they want to take a quarterback look in round 2 or 3 (Sam Howell, Desmond Ridder).

Last edited:
We can win with very average QBs. We did last year. We just won't win any championships. And we won't be in position to draft a top QB. What if we throw 40 picks in 2022? We stick with the same guys until 2024? I don't think we'll put ourselves in that position. I think we're drafting a QB this year.

Honestly even if Winston repeats his 2019 worst season with 5,000 yards, 33 TDs, and 30 Interceptions season we could still make the playoffs with our defense. I don't think Winston will repeat the interceptions part of that but if he just gets say 4,000 yards, 25 TDs, and 10 Interceptions (which is around average for him or a little better than average for him) we will easily be a playoff team.

Honestly even if Winston repeats his 2019 worst season with 5,000 yards, 33 TDs, and 30 Interceptions season we could still make the playoffs with our defense. I don't think Winston will repeat the interceptions part of that but if he just gets say 4,000 yards, 25 TDs, and 10 Interceptions (which is around average for him or a little better than average for him) we will easily be a playoff team.
I would argue our roster and talent just staying healthy should be enough for us to compete for the playoff spot at a minimum. Don't even need to get into passing stat numbers.

I think the notion that Winston will ever throw for 5k yards for us is folly….we have been a run heavy team now for a few years….I don’t see that changing drastically….between 4-4.5k and a repeat of the TD/INT ratio would be ideal

I think the notion that Winston will ever throw for 5k yards for us is folly….we have been a run heavy team now for a few years….I don’t see that changing drastically….between 4-4.5k and a repeat of the TD/INT ratio would be ideal

Yeah, but the offense should probably change back to the the Air Coryel 40 Burger offense with Winston at QB in order to take advantage of what he does best. The short passing Drew Brees offense doesn't really play to his strengths with the deep routes and long balls. Of course, that will require the addition of some WRs who can run deep routes.

Anyway, my point was really just that even if Winston repeats his worst season ever, we are still a likely playoff team do out first round pick next year is likely to be in the 20s or higher.

In the NFL passing yards occur when the team is behind and the leading team is playing prevent

the other situation is when you are playing against a high potent offense/QB and you need to score to compensate

But the real reason we dont have to have Winston pass crazy is because of our defense

our defense always has our team in the game and within range (1 score) in the 4th quarter

DA as the defensive coord minded HC, Louie is expecting the same philosophy

In the NFL passing yards occur when the team is behind and the leading team is playing prevent

the other situation is when you are playing against a high potent offense/QB and you need to score to compensate

But the real reason we dont have to have Winston pass crazy is because of our defense

our defense always has our team in the game and within range (1 score) in the 4th quarter

DA as the defensive coord minded HC, Louie is expecting the same philosophy

I agree that the Ds improvement is a factor but I also think the effectiveness of our running game is why you likely won’t see another 5k season…

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom