Where there's smoke there's fire. (1 Viewer)

Jameis for all intents and purposes is QB #1 but all signs are pointing to Dennis Allen wanting to have his guy at QB. New Orleans signed Andy Dalton six days ago on March 30 and Bortles supposedly requested his release after the signing. Saints didn't grant it until after we secured the picks, suggesting we must feel good about our chances to replace him on the roster.

By looks the Saints will have a competion for the #2 Job between Dalton and the Rookie, with Ian Book maybe making it interesting. Neither Book or Dalton are capable of pushing Winston for the #1 spot, but the right rookie QB could.

By and large the one we've been most tied to is Kenny Pickett. We've scouted him at senior bowl, combine, and pro-day, and he along with Malik Willis has been either 1a and 1b in this class. If you like upside then Willis is your guy, if you like a higher floor it's Pickett. Regardless of your choice, a well known football proverb is you're either a team that has a good QB or you're one that's looking. If you're the Saints why not get a head start now? Atlanta and Carolina are in the same market and Tampa's maybe a year or two behind. If you hit on the QB you have a leg up in your division for the forseeable future and by chance you've acquired two picks that give you enough ammo to jump in front of Carolina and Atlanta. In fact it's poetic that these were the other two teams in the hunt for Watson.

Best case scenario is Jameis holds him off all year(that tough conversation with Jameis letting him know they valued him as a Bridge QB) and the rookie gets to sit and learn. Jameis becomes ideal trade bait and we get a top 50-75 pick for him along with whatever the Sean Payton trade fetches. Another exciting scenario is that the rookie is so good he forces them to bench Winston.

Still, early in this process everyone agreed that Dennis Allens tenure with the Saints rested on his ability to find a QB. Not a WR, not an OT, nor a Safety, but a QB.

Look's like he's identified one...again
If they take a QB this year, you can prepare for a new HC in 2 years. I think they get a top WR and Olineman in 1st round.

the keyword is franchise. according to experts who do this for a living,,, there is no franchise QB in this draft
Although I don't agree with some of the logic in this thread, one of the guys will hit. The question is who (Pickett, Willis, Ridder)? No one thought Mahomes would be the best QB in the league by now. If the Saints take a QB, I think DA is gambling with his future because one of the guys will be a bust and I don't think he can waste a year with a vet team.

And this is why we won't be trading up for a QB. We have no WR2 and Hurst is our only option at LT with no depth behind him. We just traded away next year's first two picks and FA isn't an option if we're trying to improve our cap situation.

Trade up for Pickett and you've just made it impossible to meaningfully improve two key positions for the next 2 years. And we're supposed to trade up for a QB in the weakest QB class in years when our 2 biggest needs are also the strongest position classes and we have two prime picks to address them? I don't buy it. Imagine trying to develop a rookie QB without a LT or a weapon outside of potentially rusty Thomas and Kamara.
Nope, next years 1st rounder and 2024 2nd rounder.

I don't think Pickett or Willis will be there at #16 but I think they would take one if they were. As far as Ridder, I wouldn't take him in the 1st. He needs to much development to be worth a 1st round pick when you have other needs. I'd wait until the 2nd or third and take either Howell, Ridder, or Coral.
The FO could package one of our firsts along with picks in the later rounds to move up if someone is willing to bite. We could keep our other first for WR. Not saying I agree but if QB is the move for DA, this could happen if Pickett is there.

I wouldn’t consider it tanking we was 5-2 with him had a bad stretch with Trevor and that was on the wr more than him well we get a fiery MT back and can draft atleast 1 wr in the top 50 armstead is hurt every year we still win every year
Okay, the no punctuation, run-on rants is one thing, but now you’re quoting and arguing with yourself?

Jameis for all intents and purposes is QB #1 but all signs are pointing to Dennis Allen wanting to have his guy at QB. New Orleans signed Andy Dalton six days ago on March 30 and Bortles supposedly requested his release after the signing. Saints didn't grant it until after we secured the picks, suggesting we must feel good about our chances to replace him on the roster.

By looks the Saints will have a competion for the #2 Job between Dalton and the Rookie, with Ian Book maybe making it interesting. Neither Book or Dalton are capable of pushing Winston for the #1 spot, but the right rookie QB could.

By and large the one we've been most tied to is Kenny Pickett. We've scouted him at senior bowl, combine, and pro-day, and he along with Malik Willis has been either 1a and 1b in this class. If you like upside then Willis is your guy, if you like a higher floor it's Pickett. Regardless of your choice, a well known football proverb is you're either a team that has a good QB or you're one that's looking. If you're the Saints why not get a head start now? Atlanta and Carolina are in the same market and Tampa's maybe a year or two behind. If you hit on the QB you have a leg up in your division for the forseeable future and by chance you've acquired two picks that give you enough ammo to jump in front of Carolina and Atlanta. In fact it's poetic that these were the other two teams in the hunt for Watson.

Best case scenario is Jameis holds him off all year(that tough conversation with Jameis letting him know they valued him as a Bridge QB) and the rookie gets to sit and learn. Jameis becomes ideal trade bait and we get a top 50-75 pick for him along with whatever the Sean Payton trade fetches. Another exciting scenario is that the rookie is so good he forces them to bench Winston.

Still, early in this process everyone agreed that Dennis Allens tenure with the Saints rested on his ability to find a QB. Not a WR, not an OT, nor a Safety, but a QB.

Look's like he's identified one...again
Not arguing against your narrative. My thing is if the Saints take that route they should not trade up to draft any of these QBs. The real QB draft is next year and by the looks of it if our picks don't cut it this year we will have to sit it out next year. Now "WE WILL LOOK STUPID IF DON'T HIT ON THESE PICKS". Media peeps are already saying we got fleeced and are pumping the Eagles fanbase up for next year.

It takes a very aggressive and creative reading of the tea leaves to say “Jameis is not Allen’s guy” or “we are drafting a QB in the first round.”

The smoke could be from any fire. Occam’s Razor says we use the two picks on the cloud of good OT’s and WR’s that look to be available at 16-19.

This is exactly what I’m thinking….this draft is heavy at some of our major need areas that you mentioned above….but stranger things have happened….not ruling anything out

Why draft a QB this year?

They kind of backed themselves into a corner on that one. They can’t draft one in the first round next year now. And it would be more difficult to trade up in 2024 without a second. If they want a first round QB before 2025, the time is now.

Then he shouldn't have agreed to re-signing him as a FA so recently.

No matter how much they want to believe Jameis will get his chance to prove he can be the guy….
One guy did, but he couldn't keep his mouth shut on the
golf course.

2 of the best coaches in the NFL wanted him…one traded up to get him …..to say no one thought Mahomes would be great is just dumb

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom