Whiffing the Draft has finally shown up (1 Viewer)

Turner and Davenport will be fine...you'll see that combo value meal in 2022.

Turner vs Carolina earlier this season is pretty much what to expect. Huge tall DE that moves blockers wherever he wants. Excellent goalline leverage, sack, very aggressive

He and Davenport will be the key to a 2022 championship run.

Ruiz though? I'm putting that all on Zach Strief to fix that mess ASAP.

Ruiz feels like Peat 2.0, drafting a center to replace your young pro-bowl center is a decision that may haunt us for years.

I think covid threw a wrench in their plans. They had to draft McCoy when Unger retired. When Ruiz was drafted, it looked like the plan was to move McCoy to RG and let Ruiz play his natural position of center. Then the covid year happened and those plans were thrown out since it would be nearly impossible for those two to switch positions with no time to train at them. McCoy then cemented himself at C leaving Ruiz to try and play/learn RG which he has not been good. It's probably best to move on from him via a trade to a center needy team. Player for player trades aren't that common, but a center for guard, center for TE, center for WR wouldn't be bad. A center for draft pick is probably the more likely option.

FYI- The Patts are at best, an average drafting team w/ 5 super bowls. You guys are chasing the wrong squirrels up the wrong trees. Hell, look at our own SB winning team. Drafting for us, has always been a mixed bag.

The truth to be told, Ruiz as a guard isn't the liability we make him out to be. He will get bigger and better. But, may never live up to his #1 pick status.

Davenport is a top ten DE when healthy. We still have time to realize production out of Davenport. Kind of like Hendrickson.

Payton Turner is a beast, and it is much to early to say he is a injury liability.

Adebo was an absolute 3rd round round steal w/ 1st round ability.........all day.

Werner is a solid starter w/ mad upside.

Landon Young I really like this kid, but he went to IR so quickly. We may have to wait till next yr to see his talent realized.

This Saints going into 2022 will be much like a big block buster film, that has already selected the supporting cast, but are waiting to see who the talent is going to be to play the leads......QB, WR, TE, etc.

For me it's:

QB - Sign Winston, and build a game plan around him. Sign Winston to a contract now, but put in provisions that the numbers change and it reverts to a 1yr deal, if he isn't healthy by the 2nd or 3rd game of the season.

TE - Get the best TE in FA we can afford.

Draft - WRs, O linemen, DT

If we go with Winston and not trade for (Rodgers/Wilson), we will be able to keep all our draft choices. We will be able to sign our in house FAs. And not have to kick the can quite so far down the road, to pay it off.

We've "whiffed" on our drafts? By what standard? Have you even looked at how we stack up compared to the league? We're still doing excellent in that regard. Even if Ruiz busts, it sounds spoiled to act like every first rounder needs to hit. Or to even call anything after the 3rd round a bust is absurd.

RIght now our team is so stacked, 7 rookies wouldn't even crack the rotation. Maybe four spots? And most on the offensive line and WR are wide open, assuming we only lose Armstead next year and Mike Thomas is full go.

Hence, prepare for the trade up'ening.

Ruiz feels like Peat 2.0, drafting a center to replace your young pro-bowl center is a decision that may haunt us for years.
Right now, Ruiz the only player on offence that has been on the field for every single down. Yes, he needs to improve a lot, and a final decision has to be made on the guard/center positions. Ruiz is better at center, but McCoy has claimed the position. I am not that optimistic he will be worth the pick, but can turn into a serviceable player.

I usually don’t like to trade up but Davenport has a chance to prove the trade was worth, even when there were really good players available if we have stayed at our draft position.

Regarding Turner, you can’t predict injuries but the guy can turn to a player.

Injuries, Covid and a hurricane have more to do with this teams struggles. If Winston hadn’t been injured we’d already be locked into the playoffs. The drop from him to everyone else has been dramatic.

Without Thomas being healthy our complete lack of depth, something known for years, has bit us hard this year. Coupled with TEs that have their own issues it’s not a good thing.

As far as Ruiz, isn’t he our only starter on the line to play all season? I mean with rotating parts all around, and the massive drop off in talent supporting it’s pretty hard to look good.

or…we have a team that was decimated by COVID and injuries. More than any other team in the NFL this season per ProFootballDoc’s injury metric.

Maybe..just maybe…it’s been a year of terrible luck and yet we still (nearly) control our own destiny to make the playoffs.

Turner and Davenport will be fine...you'll see that combo value meal in 2022.

Turner vs Carolina earlier this season is pretty much what to expect. Huge tall DE that moves blockers wherever he wants. Excellent goalline leverage, sack, very aggressive

He and Davenport will be the key to a 2022 championship run.

Ruiz though? I'm putting that all on Zach Strief to fix that mess ASAP.
Ruiz was just a bad pick… I hated it at the time, and it hasn’t gotten any better.

Huge red flags popped up for me when he started crying after he was selected… I can’t remember any dude I’ve seen cry when drafted turn into a really good player. Maybe Vernon Davis? ..but that took like 5-6 years before he became better than average… prior to that he was a knuckleheaded bust.
Takk McKinley? Crying while holding a full size portrait of his grandma and dropping F-bombs! Total bust.. 🤦‍♂️

Most people here are crazy about this. There heads explode after the trade and pick. They say since we swapped first round picks with the Packers and traded one it equals 2 first round picks. This has been a debate since it happened. My view of giving up 2 or picks is what the Rams, 49ers, Seahawks and other teams like that have done. Trading for a player giving up 2 or 3 first round picks and having no first round picks. In the NBA they announce a trade and say they swapped pick 20 for for pick 12.
Yeah I don't know why this is such a controversial subject. I guess it's semantics. That or people are being intellectually dishonest to make a point.

To me a 1st and 5th were used to swap positions in the 1st round for a net loss of two picks.

But it's never done every year. That's probably the best draft in NFC South history and one of the best drafts in NFL history and you're behaving like it's a routine draft for any team.

The problem with this year's team is not the scouting department, not the QB position, it's not coaching (threads blaming Payton are little a little more annoying than threads like this). The problem with this year's teams has been injuries and COVID.

Spot on…there is very much a luck factor….ie: you can draft a great, great player that can’t stay healthy, doesn’t mean it wasn’t the right pick, just bad luck.

The notion that the 2017 draft is to be expected is laughable, it is possible like anything is but far, far from likely….

Davenport is almost certainly not a miss

He has issues staying healthy, but when he can do that, he’s tough to handle. Will be a fantastic contributor to take over for Cam in a few years.

Turner has been out and is just a rookie, but if he’s anything like Marcus, I feel great about our pass rushing tandem going forward

Ruiz was just a bad pick… I hated it at the time, and it hasn’t gotten any better.

Huge red flags popped up for me when he started crying after he was selected… I can’t remember any dude I’ve seen cry when drafted turn into a really good player. Maybe Vernon Davis? ..but that took like 5-6 years before he became better than average… prior to that he was a knuckleheaded bust.
Takk McKinley? Crying while holding a full size portrait of his grandma and dropping F-bombs! Total bust.. 🤦‍♂️
You're a cold dude. I have seen plenty of players cry after getting drafted and I never equated it with their potential success.

Complaining about Davenport is laughable.

There are 3 players on the team that are the most crucial to the success of the team.... Lattimore, CJGJ, and Davenport. With those 3 playing, we can win any and all games.

If you want to complain Davenport perhaps isnt as healthy as you'd like..fine. But if we win another Super Bowl, it will be because of those 3.

Just curious. What's the trade price in draft picks for a 25 y/o game wrecking DE whose presence on the field makes everyone else better. This same player averages .83 sacks/game, 2 QB pressures, 1.4 QB Hits and almost 4 tackles per game?

I'll give you a hint. His per game averages are equal to or better than a 27 y/o who was traded for 2 1sts, a 3rd and a 6th.
The only thing I want from Davenport is to find out how Cam does things in life and emulate them. And also build Cam's arsenal of moves. Durability is the only reason Dav isn't thought of as a premiere DE, but he's gonna extend Cam's career a few more seasons and get him into the Hall.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom