Whiffing the Draft has finally shown up (2 Viewers)

Overall, they received two 1st round picks and a 5th round pick. In return, the Saints received one 1st round pick.

The cost to the Saints for moving up 13 spots in the 2018 draft was two additional picks for the Packers... a 5th rounder in 2018 and a 1st rounder in 2019.
I know they up a 5th put this board is obsessed with the fact that we gave up two first. It was a swap of first picks. If they gave up two first picks the Saints wouldn't have been able to draft someone in the first one. Giving up something means you no longer have it. They didn't have their original pick no longer they swapped spots. I just traded my car in a 2019 for a 2022. Did I lose my car or whatever no I swapped one car for another car. The dealership doesn't have 2 cars I have one they have one. Even though it says trade in it was a swap of picks.

Davenport is active right now and he’s our best Defensive Lineman when he’s on the field. Force on his own and creates huge pressure for others. He has 6.5 sacks in his last 6 games. He is the pass rush.

Only the 2020 1st rounder and draft was bad. There weren’t better immediate impact picks than Turner at 27 this year based on the next 10-15 selections’ impact this season. They were all mostly DE, DT, DB, and OL and have all had average rookie years.

Only way we could’ve had a better ‘21 1st round impact is by trading up for Toney, Bateman or Mac Jones. But we wouldn’t have gotten Werner and Adebo if we traded the picks used on them to trade up in 1st. Werner and especially Adebo have played like 1st round picks way above their draft spots. We have a starting LB that can start at all LB positions and a CB2 for years to come thanks to finding those gems in the 2nd & 3rd.

Grood post. I have a question for you. Do you think Adebo has been that good? Seems like he gets burned a lot and draws too many flags, but I'm open to being schooled on him. I have a way of seeing only the ugly plays sometimes.

2017 Draft was gangbusters. Since then

Our 1st Round Draft Picks have been :
Marcus Davenport x two #1’s
Cesar Ruiz
Payton Turner

Our 3-6th round picks have been depth contributors and ST players like they at least should be. But our 1st Round picks have been misses. Flat out. You can’t miss that bad that often and sustain Championship Football. Our 1st Round guys can’t get on he field (Davenport and Turner ) or have been reserve level performers ( Ruiz)

, , ,

1st Cesar Ruiz
3rd Zach Baun
5th Trautman
6th traded up for Tommie Stevens and cut him

. . .

Good analysis. Here's a correction that will actually strengthen your point. According to Pro Football Reference, Trautman was actually a 3rd round pick.

I forgot who we traded with but it doesn't matter, when the trade was announced, what was said? I'll help you, other team gets two 1s from us and we receive a 1 from them. That's trading two 1s for the 1 we received. The "swap" doesn't negate us trading it away.
This is like the Laurel vs Yanny thing from a few years ago. Some people heard Laurel, some heard Yanny. It's fascinating to me how people can look at the same trade details and see two different things.

greatshow25 brings up a good point about how you never hear that a team traded two 3rd round picks to move up in the 3rd round. It's always announced like, "The Saints have swapped picks with the Patriots. The Patriots pick up a 4th and 6th in exchange" instead of, "The Saints have traded two 3rd rounders, a 4th, and a 6th to the Patriots and they are now on the clock."

This is like the Laurel vs Yanny thing from a few years ago. Some people heard Laurel, some heard Yanny. It's fascinating to me how people can look at the same trade details and see two different things.

greatshow25 brings up a good point about how you never hear that a team traded two 3rd round picks to move up in the 3rd round. It's always announced like, "The Saints have swapped picks with the Patriots. The Patriots pick up a 4th and 6th in exchange" instead of, "The Saints have traded two 3rd rounders, a 4th, and a 6th to the Patriots and they are now on the clock."
No, it's not like that. People see that we received one in return and want to do 2-1 equals 1 so apparently only 1 pick was used which is wrong. We used a one that current year and the next year's 1, 2 of them total, and traded them to GB for their one. We used 2 1's in order to get the higher 1. That doesn't then turn into only 1 was used.

• 1Clown
Reactions: dtc
No, it's not like that. People see that we received one in return and want to do 2-1 equals 1 so apparently only 1 pick was used which is wrong. We used a one that current year and the next year's 1, 2 of them total, and traded them to GB for their one. We used 2 1's in order to get the higher 1. That doesn't then turn into only 1 was used.

What happened to the pick we received back from Green Bay? Oh, that's right it was used to draft Davenport. We used a 1st/+ to move up. It's as easy as that.

If we were to trade the player now, the asking price would start at 2 1sts.

What happened to the pick we received back from Green Bay? Oh, that's right it was used to draft Davenport. We used a 1st/+ to move up. It's as easy as that.

If we were to trade the player now, the asking price would start at 2 1sts.
How did we get the 1 from GB? Oh yeah, we traded 2 1sts to get it. You can't get around this. 2 ones were used to acquire the 1 we used to draft Davenport.

I know they up a 5th put this board is obsessed with the fact that we gave up two first. It was a swap of first picks. If they gave up two first picks the Saints wouldn't have been able to draft someone in the first one. Giving up something means you no longer have it. They didn't have their original pick no longer they swapped spots. I just traded my car in a 2019 for a 2022. Did I lose my car or whatever no I swapped one car for another car. The dealership doesn't have 2 cars I have one they have one. Even though it says trade in it was a swap of picks.
I am in violent agreement. lol

We swapped one, we didn't lose the pick. We are only down 1 1st, not 2.
This isn't about how many picks we are down, it's about how many were involved. 2 ones were involved. Fact. They would never just swap ones with us and call it a day. We had to give them a 2nd 1 from the next year. They received 2 ones from us and we got their 1st in return. We acquired their 1st using 2 of ours. This is the last I'm talking about it because it's like I'm talking to a brick wall.

This isn't about how many picks we are down, it's about how many were involved. 2 ones were involved. Fact. They would never just swap ones with us and call it a day. We had to give them a 2nd 1 from the next year. They received 2 ones from us and we got their 1st in return. We acquired their 1st using 2 of ours. This is the last I'm talking about it because it's like I'm talking to a brick wall.

Dude, I know what happened. He was absolutely worth it too.

Grood post. I have a question for you. Do you think Adebo has been that good? Seems like he gets burned a lot and draws too many flags, but I'm open to being schooled on him. I have a way of seeing only the ugly plays sometimes.
Adebo plays great in coverage for most of the game. He doesn’t get beat that much, but when he does its usually that one big unfortunate play that costs us at the end of games. Some of those where he’s expecting safety help or should have gotten it. Can’t really tell that he’s a rookie CB that often but he does make mistakes that he can fix.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom