X41 turtle beach headset(360).. 200 bucks for headphones?!? (4 Viewers)

Well..I'm looking to dig this old thread backup because I'm debating buying a pair of really nice headphones. I'm going to read back through this thread, and see what all was said, but first, here are some things I'm looking for and a few general questions: (no doubt, some of this ground might have been covered in this thread already, and rest assured that I will go back and read through it.)

1. I have a big head, so a huge pair of headphones made for people with giant heads would be nice. I tried on a pair of Turtle Beach headphones at gamestop the other day, and they seemed to fit reasonably well.

2. I want surround sound, and I want them to be wireless.

3. I play mostly on Xbox 360, and a little on PC and PS3. I'd like a headset that can play on all three, but I could realistically go with one that just plays on 360.

4. I run my tv/Xbox on hdmi. I assume that the adapters that these things come with will plug into the back of my tv? ...does that mean that I will have to unplug the optical cable every time I want to watch regular tv? Or does an adapter plug into the xbox that still lets you run HDMI to the TV and still sends sound optical out directly from the xbox?

5. I've got about $200 bucks in credit at gamestop, so I'm probably gonna spend my money there. They do have multiple brands, but not as big of a selection as Amazon.

6. If I do get some headphones and want to use them on pc, do I have to use all the wireless stuff, or can I just plug them straight into my pc and leave the wireless broadcaster hooked up to the xbox? I guess this would depend on what brand...

I'm going to read back through this thread a bit, but I wanted to see if anybody had any suggestions. I've been reading some reviews for the Turtle Beach X42's, but people don't seem thrilled with them for whatever reason. Amazon.com: Turtle Beach Ear Force X42 Dolby Surround Sound Gaming Headset: Video Games Of course, those are a fairly "new" product with only 12 reviews.

The old Trittons have better reviews, but people talk about the mic breaking a lot. Amazon.com: Tritton Xbox 360 AX Pro Dolby Digital Precision Version 1.0 Gaming Headset: Video Games

I don't have surround sound in my current house, and we'll probably move in a year or two. Of course, we're planning on having a baby by then, so I thought getting a good set of wireless surround sound headphones would be my best way out.

You don't need surround sound to have surround sound headphones. If you are using the HDMI to go to your TV, both the PS3 and Xbox (older models need an adapter) should have an optical out that goes to the wireless receiver of the headphones.

Check out the posts of the TB PX5s. They're great - very comfortable and compatible with xbox and PS3 (note that PS3 has a bug where you can't use wireless headphones with surround sound - jerks). Highly recommended.

They don't work with PC though. I'd recommend getting some cheaper USB logitechs for PC - your going to sacrifice features and convenience carting around the same pair for all three.

You don't need surround sound to have surround sound headphones. If you are using the HDMI to go to your TV, both the PS3 and Xbox (older models need an adapter) should have an optical out that goes to the wireless receiver of the headphones.

Check out the posts of the TB PX5s. They're great - very comfortable and compatible with xbox and PS3 (note that PS3 has a bug where you can't use wireless headphones with surround sound - jerks). Highly recommended.

They don't work with PC though. I'd recommend getting some cheaper USB logitechs for PC - your going to sacrifice features and convenience carting around the same pair for all three.

I understand about not needing surround to use surround sound headphones. I just meant that I'm getting the headphones because right now, I *don't* have a surround sound setup. (We moved, I left the old surround sound setup in our old house cause it was waaay outdated.)

I guess, my main question, is how the setup goes.

I have an older model xbox 360 running through HDMI. The xbox does not have an optical out. I want to be able to run my Xbox through the tv normally (audio and video over HDMI) most of the time, but when I fire up the headset, I want to be able to turn the tv volume down, but get full surround sound over my headset. So, I guess I need to buy an optical adapter for my xbox. The question is: If I buy the adapter, say, something like this: Amazon.com: RCA Audio Cable Adapter for XBOX 360 + Slim: Electronics and keep my wireless headphone base plugged into it via optical, will that mess up my HDMI audio to my tv? Does the xbox send sound over the optical and HDMI at the same time? That's what I want. I just want to be able to turn the tv volume down, turn on my headphones and have surround sound there without messing up my HDMI audio and video connection to the tv.

For example, if I had the tv going, and I turned on the headphones, would the tv still be playing the sound AND my headphones playing the sound? This way, if I was playing in a room with friends, I could be hearing surround, but they could at least hear the tv. We could still hear each other talk over xbox live anyway.

edit: I'm actually looking at the turtle beach x42's, despite some poor reviews, ...I have at least tried on some turtle beach headphones and they fit well.

edit #2: My tv does have an optical out, but I think that using it will mute the television sound. I've heard that Samsung tv's do this, but that Sony tv's do not. Not sure what the truth is. Will have to do some research. ...I was trying to avoid using the optical out on the tv as I thought running direct from the xbox out to the headset would reduce any potential latency.

edit: nevemind. I bought the X42's, and I'll be getting the adapter in a few days. I'll let everyone know how they work.

Bought the Tritton Detonators today. I'm thoroughly impressed so far.

Turtle Beach Ear Force DX11 (refurb) on sale at 1saleaday.com for $45.

the headphones are garbage, but they come with the earforce dss. i use this with logitech f540 headset for the 360 and it's much crisper than my astro gaming set up before it. the astro mix amp can't touch this for "surround" sound.

Attachments

• DX11-3rd_image.jpg
    DX11-3rd_image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 61
I understand about not needing surround to use surround sound headphones. I just meant that I'm getting the headphones because right now, I *don't* have a surround sound setup. (We moved, I left the old surround sound setup in our old house cause it was waaay outdated.)

I guess, my main question, is how the setup goes.

I have an older model xbox 360 running through HDMI. The xbox does not have an optical out. I want to be able to run my Xbox through the tv normally (audio and video over HDMI) most of the time, but when I fire up the headset, I want to be able to turn the tv volume down, but get full surround sound over my headset. So, I guess I need to buy an optical adapter for my xbox. The question is: If I buy the adapter, say, something like this: Amazon.com: RCA Audio Cable Adapter for XBOX 360 + Slim: Electronics and keep my wireless headphone base plugged into it via optical, will that mess up my HDMI audio to my tv? Does the xbox send sound over the optical and HDMI at the same time? That's what I want. I just want to be able to turn the tv volume down, turn on my headphones and have surround sound there without messing up my HDMI audio and video connection to the tv.

For example, if I had the tv going, and I turned on the headphones, would the tv still be playing the sound AND my headphones playing the sound? This way, if I was playing in a room with friends, I could be hearing surround, but they could at least hear the tv. We could still hear each other talk over xbox live anyway.

edit: I'm actually looking at the turtle beach x42's, despite some poor reviews, ...I have at least tried on some turtle beach headphones and they fit well.

edit #2: My tv does have an optical out, but I think that using it will mute the television sound. I've heard that Samsung tv's do this, but that Sony tv's do not. Not sure what the truth is. Will have to do some research. ...I was trying to avoid using the optical out on the tv as I thought running direct from the xbox out to the headset would reduce any potential latency.

The ones I've used for the past year are the Turtle Beach PX5's. They seem to fit the criteria you're looking for. Can be used with both Xbox360 and PS3 (cause of Bluetooth capabilities), has surround sound, well made headphones that can be adjusted for larger heads.

Here's the link: <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Programmable-Wireless-Surround-Bluetooth-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6N64Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355252449&sr=8-1&keywords=turtle+beach+px5>Amazon: Turtle Beach PX5 gamig headset</a>

My $100 PS Headphones have already lasted longer than the TB's I bought before.
If you have a PS3, I highly recommend.

i got the Logitech F540 wireless headphones that work with the ps3 and 360

they sound incredible...like a movie theater

they were $90

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom