You can't cut Carr next year, so who can fix him? (1 Viewer)

I know we are in the seething stage of the fanbase's relationship with the guy, but he's here next year. We either cut him in 2025 or we restructure him in 2024 and have him even longer.

So let's assume we take a young 1st round QB (probably too much to ask) and Carr starts the season with a new coach. Who can help bring out the best in him? I don't think he's suddenly become a terrible QB after being firmly mid-tier with the Raiders. I definitely think there are other factors at play with the current coaching.

Are there any offensive-minded coaches out there you'd like to see pursued as HC and/or OC? I have no doubt seeing what Sean Payton has done with a completely washed Russell Wilson that it's possible to improve things.

Again, we aren't talking long-term starter. Just as a bridge for a rookie. Who is on your wish list to revamp this system?
In this scenario Derek Carr should not be a factor in the decision, the new offensive minded HC and/or OC should be all about the new QB (who wouldn't be drafted at the time of the hire). The hope (and expectation) would be that guy does enough with Carr to make him operate at a mid tier level until the draft pick is ready.

This team is NOT a mess. It’s the coaching. We are 5-6, can’t score TDs, but somehow we are right in it for a division title. With all of our talent, you honestly don’t think someone would want to accept a possible cakewalk division title? What planet do yall live on🤣
Not just that, but we have some really good young pieces at areas of real importance. We are stacked with young DBs and the combo of Shaheed and Olave could play well for the next 7-8 years. While we are aging and too loyal at some positions, there is enough here to be attractive to a coach that wants to be "the guy".

Head coach Eric Beinemy
Why? He left from KC to Washington to make his own legacy as an OC. they are only middle of the park in yards and tds (15th) and bottom 5 in every other category. Doesnt sound promising to me. IMO, If you bring in an offensive minded coach then you stick to a similar offense that we’re currently running. If you bring in a defensive minded coach, like a demeco Ryan then you run an RPO mix offense

I don't think he can be fixed. The best course of action is to the best rookie QB you can get and you go into camp with Carr as your starter. You might get Carr for another year but the transition will already be underway. Or if the rookie is ready, you only have Carr around for that one season.
I tend to agree. The Carr and Wilson situations get compared, but I don’t think it is the same. I posted this elsewhere when someone said Carr can be brought back to life like Wilson:
Wilson has a better track record than Carr, even if he isn’t who he used to be. How many seasons did each QB have at least 30 passing TD’s?

Carr 1 (back in 2015)
Wilson 5

How many seasons has each QB had a TD % above 6%?

Carr 0
Wilson 9

A QB rating over 100?

Carr 2
Wilson 8

Hackett couldn’t get the best from Wilson, but it’s harder to say that we aren’t getting close to the best of Carr. He has always been a coach away from greatness his entire career, and now we’re the team trapped in that cycle.

What does winning this division get for a coach though? Coaches want to go somewhere that they see a future. This team is over $80 million over the cap and most of the money is invested in aging veterans on the downside of their careers. It is a mess.
If a HC is worth a darn, then a division title is the minimum, and I don’t mean the struggle to win a division title like 🦌 is doing. With more being in play……which is the goal, to get yourself into the playoffs, and see how far you can dance. I personally think we have a great mix of young and veteran talent. You’re speaking from an emotional level. If our offense was capable, we would be doing just fine, and this post wouldn’t exist. 6 games our gassed defense has allowed 20 points or less. 2 of those games we lost. Imagine how many games that would be if we had a competent OC calling plays, so they can stay off of the field.

Last edited:
After watching that pick-6 a dozen times I'm leaning toward Carr being in a bad way or our play calling (Pete) is just that bad. Carr could have thrown that ball to any other receiver and it would have been a TD, 1st down or at least incomplete. He put it in the worst possible spot he could, so if he's in that bad a way as a QB, with a play caller that's truly over his head, I think this team could be fixed fairly easily. New OC to fix Carr and if that doesn't work then new QB. The rest of the talent is there already. Somebody needs to grow a pair and make the change before our talent gets any older and slower...

After watching that pick-6 a dozen times I'm leaning toward Carr being in a bad way or our play calling (Pete) is just that bad. Carr could have thrown that ball to any other receiver and it would have been a TD, 1st down or at least incomplete. He put it in the worst possible spot he could, so if he's in that bad a way as a QB, with a play caller that's truly over his head, I think this team could be fixed fairly easily. New OC to fix Carr and if that doesn't work then new QB. The rest of the talent is there already. Somebody needs to grow a pair and make the change before our talent gets any older and slower...

Pete absolutely has to go - keeping him after last year was the worst mistake of this season. He should have been fired the week after last season ended.

I don't think they'll be able to cut him this offseason. His salary for next year is guaranteed, and a few days into March a $10M roster bonus due in 2025 becomes guaranteed, too, which sucks. But hopefully they'll be able to eat that and the rest of his dead money in 2025.

Right now the Saints are in line for the 12th pick in the draft. They have home games against the Giants, Panthers, and Falcons remaining, so it's not out of the question that they could win two more games, but they I think they'll probably stay in that 10-15 range.

As long as Jayden Daniels isn't a top three pick, they should be in position to make a move and get him. It's a rare opportunity to address need and get a local fan favorite and buy the new coaching staff a "mulligan" year.

In the meantime, start moving on from veteran players -- no one not on a rookie contract should be safe. Start the season with Carr, let him take the knocks on the field and once the team falls out of contention, or when in practice it's clear the JD is ready, make the swap.

And if Carr pitches a fit about drafting his replacement, you scour his contract for language regarding "conduct detrimental to the team" and see if there's any way to void or claw back bonus money.

Not just that, but we have some really good young pieces at areas of real importance. We are stacked with young DBs and the combo of Shaheed and Olave could play well for the next 7-8 years. While we are aging and too loyal at some positions, there is enough here to be attractive to a coach that wants to be "the guy".
Exactly. What a potential HC doesn’t want, is a team that is void of talent, and unstable ownership, and even then those jobs are snatched up. Let’s be honest, 🦌 has assembled a lackluster coaching staff, except for Marrone. I kinda think he’s doing his job for the most part. In fact, I would rather see him be our interim HC for the rest of the year

In the meantime, start moving on from veteran players -- no one not on a rookie contract should be safe.
We will need to restructure most/all of the veterans to have a path towards releasing Carr in 2025, so I think just about everyone is safe next year.

Any player at anytime can be cut. It's just the Saints would be tied to Carr's contract with dead money against the cap. He was paid market value as Franchise QB and was also given the seal approval to sign with the Saints by Drew. A few of us even cheered over this. Yes, it's failed. Everything the Saints have done this year has failed and continues to spiral downward. I'm clueless as to who can fix him. But, if i was king for a day, I would be looking for his replacement in this years draft. It would be cheaper if they did

Any player at anytime can be cut. It's just the Saints would be tied to Carr's contract with dead money against the cap. He was paid market value as Franchise QB and was also given the seal approval to sign with the Saints by Drew. A few of us even cheered over this. Yes, it's failed. Everything the Saints have done this year has failed and continues to spiral downward. I'm clueless as to who can fix him. But, if i was king for a day, I would be looking for his replacement in this years draft. It would be cheaper if they did
It’s almost imperative to find a QB in this draft. Have him fine tune his skills for the next year or two, and if he is ahead of the curve, then start him before all of that. It’s simple

Any player at anytime can be cut. It's just the Saints would be tied to Carr's contract with dead money against the cap.

Yeah, he doesn't mean "can't be cut" literally. Carr's dead-cap number for 2024 is almost $53M. You "can't" cut him because it's just way to much to eat, it doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, he doesn't mean "can't be cut" literally. Carr's dead-cap number for 2024 is almost $53M. You "can't" cut him because it's just way to much to eat, it doesn't make any sense.
That $53 million literally means he can't be cut. Not only that, but they are going to have to restructure him which could push his cut date beyond 2025.

This is the problem with the Saints cap strategy. It's not that we can't get under the cap. It's the loss of roster flexibility it creates when we push all of the money into void years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom