2018 Draft Prospects (2 Viewers)

Does anyone have thoughts on Uchenna Nwosu, USC? Also, do you see him more as a LB or DE? here is what i have read about him. He's raw, and can be inconsistent, but also very athletic, can become great. I watched a video on him and was impressed. I really liked all the tipped balls he had.

I’m working on my “all-underrated team” list that I’m hoping to post soon and he’s going to be my #1 OLB. His usage as an edge at USC implies that he hasn’t quite grasped the football IQ that he’ll need to play in a more natural LB position yet, but they found a role for him because he’s just way too talented. You can read up on how he’s only been playing football for like 5 years.. The guy is a natural dropping into coverage and he has incredible ball skills. The utility to get to the QB is obviously there as well. After some seasoning I think he might be the best passing down LB in the class outside of Roquan who I see as a future top 10 LB. Kind of like a raw Bruce Irvin.

This thread is to discuss the prospects who we as Saints fans (and fans of football in general) should keep our eyes on. Please, post those players here. Lets get familiar with the next set of prospects who will help us climb the mountain.

I’ve been watching Anthony Miller, this kid would be an absolute stud in the slot in this offense.

https://youtu.be/zv-won1skYY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRRRRR....I wish he would run somewhere. I'm worried that he is hiding his 40 time. I thought he got hurt at the senior bowl.

Oh yeah he did, but he's fine now. I'm not worried about his 40 time at all. He's shown enough speed. Zach Ertz ran around a 4.8. Goedert's coach has said he runs 4.65. Even if it's 4.75, that's plenty fast.

Dallas Goedert will not be running the 40 yard dash.

Oh yeah he did, but he's fine now. I'm not worried about his 40 time at all. He's shown enough speed. Zach Ertz ran around a 4.8. Goedert's coach has said he runs 4.65. Even if it's 4.75, that's plenty fast.

"Speed" is just a bonus at the TE position. I mean, how many times are you actually going to send your TE on flies and deep routes in general? It's the ability to get open, catch, and block. Even though his competition was well below average, Goedert does appear fast/athletic enough on his reels. The unanswered question is not his athleticism, though, it's if his production will actually translate against legit talent at the pro level.

Regardless of where we stand on Goedert, the fact is no one has ever seen him compete against blue or even red chip talents, let alone the elites. Like the prospects or not, dudes like H. Hurst, Gesicki, Schultz, Andrews, Herndon, Izzo, Fumagali, Thomas, etc. have played their entire college careers against future NFL talents/players. The competition is night and day, and I think youre more comfortable w/the projection when you consider who those guys have faced on the field. I think Goedert can hang, but again, it's yet to be seen in real life. All we have are a handful of reps at the Senior Bowl, an incomplete pro day, and reels w/a bunch of catches against non-FBS talents.

I am a fan of Goedert, though, but I cant play blind mouse to all the inconsistencies and question marks. I def think Hurst has jumped him as the best TE on deck. I liked H. Hurst but wasnt as high on him in the beginning. But after rewatching a few South C games w/my bro it's hard to deny the physical tool and all around game H. Hurst has at his disposal. Plus, we've seen Hurst completely solidify his status as a pass catcher, blocker, and as an athlete throughout the process. The man is a complete TE. We havent seen Dallas since his hammy gave out on him at the Senior Bowl. That sucks, but it is what it is.

"Speed" is just a bonus at the TE position. I mean, how many times are you actually going to send your TE on flies and deep routes in general? It's the ability to get open, catch, and block. Even though his competition was well below average, Goedert does appear fast/athletic enough on his reels. The unanswered question is not his athleticism, though, it's if his production will actually translate against legit talent at the pro level.

Regardless of where we stand on Goedert, the fact is no one has ever seen him compete against blue or even red chip talents, let alone the elites. Like the prospects or not, dudes like H. Hurst, Gesicki, Schultz, Andrews, Herndon, Izzo, Fumagali, Thomas, etc. have played their entire college careers against future NFL talents/players. The competition is night and day, and I think youre more comfortable w/the projection when you consider who those guys have faced on the field. I think Goedert can hang, but again, it's yet to be seen in real life. All we have are a handful of reps at the Senior Bowl, an incomplete pro day, and reels w/a bunch of catches against non-FBS talents.

I am a fan of Goedert, though, but I cant play blind mouse to all the inconsistencies and question marks. I def think Hurst has jumped him as the best TE on deck. I liked H. Hurst but wasnt as high on him in the beginning. But after rewatching a few South C games w/my bro it's hard to deny the physical tool and all around game H. Hurst has at his disposal. Plus, we've seen Hurst completely solidify his status as a pass catcher, blocker, and as an athlete throughout the process. The man is a complete TE. We havent seen Dallas since his hammy gave out on him at the Senior Bowl. That sucks, but it is what it is.

Carson Wentz, Jerry Rice, Demarcus Ware, Delanie Walker, and Janoris Jenkins all came from small schools. I think Goedert has "it". I think he's much better than the other TEs in this class.

I also don't believe this is a strong TE class. Goedert ranks with the best over the past few years. The rest are more mid round talents IMO.

Carson Wentz, Jerry Rice, Demarcus Ware, Delanie Walker, and Janoris Jenkins all came from small schools. I think Goedert has "it". I think he's much better than the other TEs in this class.

Football is Football :idunno:

Jon Ledyard who is a scout that very active on draft twitter and generally in the past couple of years has good draft takes imo just dropped a Saints mock. https://www.fanragsports.com/saints/saints-7-round-mock-draft-free-agency-edition/

He has us taking a surprise name in the first Josh Sweat Edge rusher out of FSU, haven't watch much of him but he is drawing Danielle Hunter comparisons. Has anyone watched him some? Thoughts?

Edit: he also has us getting Anthony Miller WR outta Memphis in the 3rd and BJ Hill DT from NC State in the 4th (NC State Nielson connection). I really like both those selections.

I also don't believe this is a strong TE class. Goedert ranks with the best over the past few years. The rest are more mid round talents IMO.

I think it’s a matter of what you’re looking for. I think in terms of receiving production, Gesicki will pace the group. He probably won’t receive great blocking grades and I understand why some would want to pass on that. I don’t expect Goedert to be a great blocker right off, though I’ll admit he and Andrews profile for improvement at the next level. To me, Goedert & Andrews belong in the same breath. I would liken them to the battle between Eifert (Goedert)/Ertz (Andrews) when they came out.

Players with Gesicki’s profile generally don’t go as high, but it can’t be understated the athletic numbers he put up. In the right offense, he’s a game changing weapon in the passing game. I personally believe the Saints are the perfect offense to make him into that. I don’t think Goedert/Andrews offer the same dynamic Gesicki offers as a receiving threat. It’s like debating prime Graham vs Eifert/Ertz for me.. Is the blocking disadvantage enough to justify taking the slightly less effective weapon? I say no.

Jon Ledyard who is a scout that very active on draft twitter and generally in the past couple of years has good draft takes imo just dropped a Saints mock. https://www.fanragsports.com/saints/saints-7-round-mock-draft-free-agency-edition/

He has us taking a surprise name in the first Josh Sweat Edge rusher out of FSU, haven't watch much of him but he is drawing Danielle Hunter comparisons. Has anyone watched him some? Thoughts?

Edit: he also has us getting Anthony Miller WR outta Memphis in the 3rd and BJ Hill DT from NC State in the 4th (NC State Nielson connection). I really like both those selections.

He is exactly like Hunter or Robert Mathis but the problem there is he would play behind Jordan at LE in a 4-3. He doesn't play with the bend or length to succeed on the Right, IMO.

Better RE prospects include

Rasheem Green
Harold Landry
Jayln Holmes
Duke Ejiofor

That's cool. Think what you think, like who you like, all that. That's just my opinion. And to be clear, I LIKE GOEDERT. I dont think he has "it". But I do think he has plus traits. I never said he would fail, nor do I think he will. I never said anything negative about small school players. I actually think theyre a goldmine of undercover talent. Heck, one of my draft BAEs is S Jeremy Reaves,, from South-Bama a small school kid. I was just evaluating Goedert in relation to the other TEs available in this class. That's what youre supposed to do, right?

Football is Football :idunno:
Lol! Of course, "Football is Football". Youre kind of stating the obvious. But it's not as simple as youre trying to make it. The NFL, CFL, AFL, the LFL, flag, etc. are all football, but theyre not all created equal. Yes, there's always the handful of exceptions to the rule, but for the most part, theyre not on the same level. That also goes for schools, too. I mean, now Im stating the obvious.

Why go through the process then? The testing, evals, grades, rankings, rounds, etc.? I actually wish it was as easy as you put it. Cause, I caught 6TDs and had 8 INTs w/2 pick 6s last year in our flag football league. We got to the Top Gun West championship game, too. The year before that I had 3TDs and 10 INTs. I play both offense and defense. If football was just football, then I should at least garner a day 3 look and at worst be a priority UDFA.

Well, you (Joodas) mentioned that Hurst is your top tight end. For what it's worth, I share that opinion too. But we're not alone. See below, posted on RW today..

An NFL personnel man told NFL Media's Lance Zierlein that he preferred South Carolina TE Hayden Hurst over all other tight ends and that it "wasn't even close."

Zierlein has heard from more than one team that Hurst is the preference for TE1 over South Dakota State standout Dallas Goedert or Penn State athletic phenom Mike Gesicki.

For his part, Zierlein has a slight lean on Gesicki. The analyst notes that "signs point to Hurst as the clear preference at the position for TE-needy teams who could address the position in Round 1." We envision all three of Hurst, Goedert and Gesicki as being selected within the first three rounds, and very probably within the first two rounds. This draft class is not as thick at the position as last year's -- in general, the consensus has the 2018 draft class as a whole being somewhat thinner than 2017's -- but we really like the top prospects for the group.

Players with Gesicki’s profile generally don’t go as high, but it can’t be understated the athletic numbers he put up. In the right offense, he’s a game changing weapon in the passing game. I personally believe the Saints are the perfect offense to make him into that. I don’t think Goedert/Andrews offer the same dynamic Gesicki offers as a receiving threat. It’s like debating prime Graham vs Eifert/Ertz for me.. Is the blocking disadvantage enough to justify taking the slightly less effective weapon? I say no.

This is how I feel. The only thing I question here is why you think players with Gesicki's profile don't generally go as high? For example, last year we saw Engram and Njoku go in round one and they seem to be in the pass-catcher mold.

This is how I feel. The only thing I question here is why you think players with Gesicki's profile don't generally go as high? For example, last year we saw Engram and Njoku go in round one and they seem to be in the pass-catcher mold.

I remember Njoku had played a lot more inline than Gesicki has. Engram was definitely more of the pure pass catching type, but he was blazing fast and moved like a legitimate WR. I identify Gesicki with guys like Graham, Jordan Cameron, Julius Thomas, etc even though he was much more productive in college and is even more athletic. I’m not necessarily saying he shouldn’t go extremely high. I’d honestly hope the Saints consider him at 27. But I think a lot of boards will be lower on him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom