2024 Tropical Weather Thread (30 Viewers)

Mine was up yesterday. My friend lives basically across the street, but he's considered Prairieville, and they are still down.

I mean, most of NOLA is up just like JP. People always think it takes too long, but it takes as long as it takes. I got the complaints in Ida when it turned out that one old, rusty, and not maintained tower on the West Bank that fell was the key to all power in NOLA and it would take a week or more to route around it. But this has essentially only been a day.

It sucks and I'm lucky to have only lost power for 3 hours, but it's not like they aren't trying as hard in NOLA. The main area with out power in NOLA is an area of Uptown with lots of trees that probably fell and took out power.
Regarding maintaining power line right-of-ways, I got a letter from our provider at the end of last year that they would be trimming back trees from the lines. They finally showed up in May of this year to prune the giant unruly magnolia in my front yard that has stuck its branches all through the power lines along the road.

DP&L spent about an hour setting up their cones and gathering their forces to prune this tree. I was waiting to watch and epic of free tree-pruning. I think they cut about 10 twigs and called it a day. I was hard-pressed to notice a difference in the magnolia and the large branches in and around the wires.

When we get hit, it will be my tree or my neighbor's equally unruly sycamore that takes out the power grid for miles around. Chris and I will be the ones who get yelled at by our electricity-less neighbors.

Regarding maintaining power line right-of-ways, I got a letter from our provider at the end of last year that they would be trimming back trees from the lines. They finally showed up in May of this year to prune the giant unruly magnolia in my front yard that has stuck its branches all through the power lines along the road.

DP&L spent about an hour setting up their cones and gathering their forces to prune this tree. I was waiting to watch and epic of free tree-pruning. I think they cut about 10 twigs and called it a day. I was hard-pressed to notice a difference in the magnolia and the large branches in and around the wires.

When we get hit, it will be my tree or my neighbor's equally unruly sycamore that takes out the power grid for miles around. Chris and I will be the ones who get yelled at by our electricity-less neighbors.
does your local station have an action reporter? It looks like you have a good story to tell him/her.

Man the models just keep trying to develop systems and they just keep going poof. Is it really all shear and dust?

Man the models just keep trying to develop systems and they just keep going poof. Is it really all shear and dust?
One of the more interesting comments that I've read is that solar activity is heating the next level of the atmosphere which is making things more stable.

99% of the area should be back by tomorrow morning. terrebonne? yeah, y'all still forked. no eta.
I think Terrebonne power is supposed to be finished up today, no?

Spectrum internet on the other hand will probably take 3-4 weeks.

Yeah, that's why I thought it was interesting. It was regarding sunspots having an effect on suppressing tropical development. It was on Storm2k.org where I originally read it.

It was this post on Storm2k:

Per met. Joe D’Aleo:
“We have mentioned the strong solar spike which research has shown can suppress hurricane activity.”

“One negative may be the big spike in solar in cycle 25. Most cycles have had a dual max and recent ones had the second one higher. This warms the upper atmosphere and hampers development.”

@SWJJ There was also something else that I read after looking it up on google. I'll have to look for it again.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom