90% of Americans believe at least one conspiracy theory (3 Viewers)

I've been watching the new season of Skinwalker Ranch and either they are completely lying and manipulating data or something really weird is going on there, and I'm not talking about the ancillary BS like Dire Wolves and cattle mutilation.
What I can't figure out is the Bigelow angle. When he owned the ranch and the Mt Wilson Ranch, he had teams there conducting research. Then he just up and sold everything and left, refusing to share any of the data that he accumulated. If he found something, why leave? If he didn't find anything, why not share the data?
Seriously though, this last episode was out there and if they aren't lying, then I'm betting the "event" in 2027 will have something to do with those two ranches.

I've been watching the new season of Skinwalker Ranch and either they are completely lying and manipulating data or something really weird is going on there, and I'm not talking about the ancillary BS like Dire Wolves and cattle mutilation.
What I can't figure out is the Bigelow angle. When he owned the ranch and the Mt Wilson Ranch, he had teams there conducting research. Then he just up and sold everything and left, refusing to share any of the data that he accumulated. If he found something, why leave? If he didn't find anything, why not share the data?
Seriously though, this last episode was out there and if they aren't lying, then I'm betting the "event" in 2027 will have something to do with those two ranches.
Whut?

I only watch sports on the picture box so you'll have to enlighten me. Is this a scripted show, a reality show, a documentary, other?

Whut?

I only watch sports on the picture box so you'll have to enlighten me. Is this a scripted show, a reality show, a documentary, other?
It's a reality show in the same vein as those ghost hunter shows with a little forensic, detective work thrown in. I'm not saying that everything they do or say is a lie, they have some respectable people on the show who are not dumbies. All that said, it is on the History channel, so a lot of people lump it in with the Ancient Aliens series. Last season, I kind of wrote off the series because it was feeling too much like Ancient Aliens but it's really not like that at all. Skinwalker Ranch has all the ghost and goblin stories from years past, but they are doing scientific research on all the phenomenon gong on there. My hope is that they are not lying about what they are doing or manipulating the data just for ratings. They are running into some really weird things on that ranch, along with other things at the Mt Wilson ranch.

I just watched the final table on YouTube yesterday. I was surprised to see this today. It's plausible. I'm sure if they have rules about this or not.

Does false health or wellness beliefs fall count as a conspiracy theory?
===============

…….That methods like cleanses, juice fasts, supplements and sauna sessions can detoxify the body is among the most misleading wellness claims.

“Detox” practices might feel good, have a place in someone’s personal routine, lead to weight loss or create a placebo effect, but experts have repeatedly debunked claims that they meaningfully remove toxins from our bodies.

In fact, in some cases, they may do the opposite by harming our built-in detoxification systems; nutritional supplements account for 20% of toxic liver damage in the US.

Aside from medical interventions prescribed for specific conditions, there’s almost nothing we can do to help our bodies detox more effectively.

Instead, it’s good practice to stay hydrated, get adequate rest, exercise and maintain good nutrition with a balanced diet high in vitamin-rich plants, all of which support the function of our kidneys, liver and other organs.

Yet the idea of clearing out our bodies has captivated the public imagination for millennia. “We’ve been doing some version of detoxing since antiquity,” says Dr Christopher Labos, a cardiologist, epidemiologist and the author of 2023’s Does Coffee Cause Cancer? And 8 More Myths about the Food We Eat.

Only with the development of modern medicine and germ theory have we realized “that much of that rationale of detoxing doesn’t actually hold true”, he says

The current moment is no different. In fact, we may be talking about, believing in, and spending more money on detoxing than ever.

Research estimates the global market for detox wellness products will rise from $49bn in 2019 to $80.4bn by 2030. In 2018 alone, Americans spent more than $62m on detox teas. And with “detox” on the label, even basic products are sold at a premium.

Social media is a breeding ground for detox content. On TikTok, more than 132m posts use the hashtag #detox, detailing how to fill your belly button with castor oil or drink dangerous borax highballs.

Influencers can earn income through affiliate links to dubious detox products on TikTok or Instagram.

Users can grow their audience by sharing health “hacks” that span from pointless to harmful, broadcasting their beliefs that lemon water revolutionized their health or that most Americans have a stomach full of parasites.

Why are we so susceptible to detox claims? It doesn’t help that most detox hacks bear a sheen of logic, making them psychologically appealing even when spurious (I once bought liquid chlorophyll because it seemed correct that drinking pure green plant essence would bolster my health).

Nor that mainstream medical institutions leave many people feeling dismissed, making them more receptive to unverified health advice.

Almost a decade ago in the Guardian, the German physician Edzard Ernst described commercial detox products, like prefab cleanses and tinctures, as a “criminal exploitation of the gullible”, claiming they promised “a simple remedy that frees us of our sins”.

“When most of us utter the word ‘detox’, it’s usually when we’re bleary-eyed and stumbling out of the wrong end of a heavy weekend,” the article stated, and it’s true that online searches for “detox” reliably surge in January, after weeks of holiday indulgence.…….

Does false health or wellness beliefs fall count as a conspiracy theory?
===============

…….That methods like cleanses, juice fasts, supplements and sauna sessions can detoxify the body is among the most misleading wellness claims.

“Detox” practices might feel good, have a place in someone’s personal routine, lead to weight loss or create a placebo effect, but experts have repeatedly debunked claims that they meaningfully remove toxins from our bodies.

In fact, in some cases, they may do the opposite by harming our built-in detoxification systems; nutritional supplements account for 20% of toxic liver damage in the US.

Aside from medical interventions prescribed for specific conditions, there’s almost nothing we can do to help our bodies detox more effectively.

Instead, it’s good practice to stay hydrated, get adequate rest, exercise and maintain good nutrition with a balanced diet high in vitamin-rich plants, all of which support the function of our kidneys, liver and other organs.

Yet the idea of clearing out our bodies has captivated the public imagination for millennia. “We’ve been doing some version of detoxing since antiquity,” says Dr Christopher Labos, a cardiologist, epidemiologist and the author of 2023’s Does Coffee Cause Cancer? And 8 More Myths about the Food We Eat.

Only with the development of modern medicine and germ theory have we realized “that much of that rationale of detoxing doesn’t actually hold true”, he says

The current moment is no different. In fact, we may be talking about, believing in, and spending more money on detoxing than ever.

Research estimates the global market for detox wellness products will rise from $49bn in 2019 to $80.4bn by 2030. In 2018 alone, Americans spent more than $62m on detox teas. And with “detox” on the label, even basic products are sold at a premium.

Social media is a breeding ground for detox content. On TikTok, more than 132m posts use the hashtag #detox, detailing how to fill your belly button with castor oil or drink dangerous borax highballs.

Influencers can earn income through affiliate links to dubious detox products on TikTok or Instagram.

Users can grow their audience by sharing health “hacks” that span from pointless to harmful, broadcasting their beliefs that lemon water revolutionized their health or that most Americans have a stomach full of parasites.

Why are we so susceptible to detox claims? It doesn’t help that most detox hacks bear a sheen of logic, making them psychologically appealing even when spurious (I once bought liquid chlorophyll because it seemed correct that drinking pure green plant essence would bolster my health).

Nor that mainstream medical institutions leave many people feeling dismissed, making them more receptive to unverified health advice.

Almost a decade ago in the Guardian, the German physician Edzard Ernst described commercial detox products, like prefab cleanses and tinctures, as a “criminal exploitation of the gullible”, claiming they promised “a simple remedy that frees us of our sins”.

“When most of us utter the word ‘detox’, it’s usually when we’re bleary-eyed and stumbling out of the wrong end of a heavy weekend,” the article stated, and it’s true that online searches for “detox” reliably surge in January, after weeks of holiday indulgence.…….

Anything that uses the phrase "Detox" or "gut health" I 100% write off as garbage BS.

I think there are legitimate applications that fit the description, but yeah, 99% of what's out there is junk.
And that’s an important distinction
Even the article mentions placebo effects and other benefits- a person being an active participant in their own health is mostly a good thing (as opposed to someone looking for a silver bullet to better health)
Throwing the baby out with the bath water seems as ill advised as blind adherence

I think there are legitimate applications that fit the description, but yeah, 99% of what's out there is junk.
I love how after seeing an entire infomercial about some supplement that claims "Joint pain? Gone! Back pain? Gone! Old teen acne scars? Gone! 20-20 vision? You got it!"

Then there is the disclaimer saying "this product isn't intended to treat or cure any disease or ailment"

Really???? Literally every word I just heard sounds like this product is intended to do exactly that

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom