Algiers ferry - huh? (2 Viewers)

You can also blame the Friends of the Ferry crowd for this as well. They were actively telling anyone who would listen that once the tolls were upheld last November, that they would simply push to have the toll funding of the ferries reinstated by the State Legislature.

I live in Algiers and take the ferries often, but there needs to be a serious plan put into place to make sure they are properly maintained and self-sufficient, even if that means you have to pay a dollar or two to ride across.

if you mean 'must pay for themselves' i have to disagree.
too often we take a way too narrow view of the efficacy of public transportation - public transportation shouild be a means by which the public has access to as much as a city/region has to offer (jobs, entertainment/culture) as possible - "paying for itself" is completely beside the point
steps should be made to encourage more not less public transportation

the ferry has survived numerous hurricanes, the depression, economic downturns of the late 70s and early 90s - and now when the city is doing very well and the state is doing...ok -- now all of a sudden we can't afford the ferry? - that's a damned lie

too often we take a way too narrow view of the efficacy of public transportation - public transportation shouild be a means by which the public has access to as much as a city/region has to offer (jobs, entertainment/culture) as possible - "paying for itself" is completely beside the point

the ferry has survived numerous hurricanes, the depression, economic downturns of the late 70s and early 90s - and now when the city is doing very well and the state is doing...ok -- now all of a sudden we can't afford the ferry? - that's a damned lie

A couple of bucks to cross the ferry isn't a big deal IMO. We charge for the street cars and busses.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Call the news stations and see if you can pique a reporter's interest. I'd love for someone to do some digging into this story.

No other public transportation is "free." Street car riders pay a fare. Bus riders pay a fare.Why should the ferries be free?

And why should the ferries be free for the pedestrian riders but cost people who don't use them money?

I have subsidized the ferries for 7 years. If they are not cost effective then a sustainable alternative for pedestrians to cross the river needs to be found. And if they can be made cost effective by charging a fare to FERRY RIDERS then that is what should happen.

And why should the ferries be free for the pedestrian riders but cost people who don't use them money?

Similar reason why I pay for fire dept even though my house hasn't burned down
Why I pay for police even though no ones broken into my house
Why I paid for other kids to go to school
Etc
Etc
Etc
It ultimately costs WAY more when you do things solely in terms of black and red ink

Similar reason why I pay for fire dept even though my house hasn't burned down
Why I pay for police even though no ones broken into my house
Why I paid for other kids to go to school
Etc
Etc
Etc
It ultimately costs WAY more when you do things solely in terms of black and red ink

Then EVERYONE should pay to subsidize the ferries, not just SOME people. So why on earth wouldn't we expect the people who USE the ferries to contribute as well?

That link I always thought the Worlds Fair Gondolas should have stayed.

I understood why they stopped the Gondolas back in the day. People just weren't using them for daily transportation. But i'm in the bring 'em back camp. I think the resurgence of Algiers Point and the CBD/Warehouse District in the last 25 years could make it worthwhile.

And IMPROVED gondola, i'm talking about. The old one was pretty terrifying.

I really thought I was going to die on the gondola a couple of times. :hihi:

So i asked some of the ferry workers this morning if the LED displays meant that something was happening
- "they don't tell us nothin" and walked away

Any idea how much of the total cost is from the Gretna to downtown ferry? I know some Gretna politicians pushed for that after the Jackson Avenue ferry terminal was finally closed but it seems like a long and wasteful trip.

Any idea how much of the total cost is from the Gretna to downtown ferry? I know some Gretna politicians pushed for that after the Jackson Avenue ferry terminal was finally closed but it seems like a long and wasteful trip.

dunno - but i agree, the gretna ride is...odd

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom