Alvin Kamara indicted. Court date is set for March 2. (1 Viewer)

This is the crux of so many problems in this world - the thought that if someone "disrespects" you verbally, that they deserve a beat down. It's the dumbest thought process on the planet.
I'm not saying it's right, but it's an outcome that should be expected. You avoid it by not being a disrespectful prick...don't be an ahole, then some things won't happen in response. Not saying the injuring party was right...I'm saying the victim isn't 100% blameless. That's the gray area of this non black/white incident.

Blank around and find out...

Exactly. A theoretical plea deal in this case would be something like dropping the conspiracy charge and reducing the battery resulting in great bodily harm to simple battery. Happens all the time.

Is that what will happen in this case? Who knows. Kamara will almost certainly plea out, but beyond that, predicting a specific outcome at this point, with the limited set of facts we have, is a fool's game.

In any event, plea deals are an important part of the legal process (the 97% figure is pretty much spot on), and the system frankly couldn't work without them. The courts are already way overworked and simply could not accommodate every case going to trial.
I owe you an apology man, I went and re read your posts and it was clear you were not trolling. It was not fair to call you that. It became more clear that I had treated you unfairly and made you feel un welcome, and that is not our style here at Saints Report.

I just doubled down on a stubborn narrative, and calling you names wasn't very mature of me. I hope we can start a new, as I think you have much to offer about this case. And I have a few questions for you that I don't understand, perhaps you can clear up.

Blank around and find out...
I owe you an apology man, I went and re read your posts and it was clear you were not trolling. It was not fair to call you that. It became more clear that I had treated you unfairly and made you feel un welcome, and that is not our style here at Saints Report.

I just doubled down on a stubborn narrative, and calling you names wasn't very mature of me. I hope we can start a new, as I think you have much to offer about this case. And I have a few questions for you that I don't understand, perhaps you can clear up.

đź‘Ť No worries, we're good.

I am not sure that anyone on this forum knows enough about the criminal-justice system in Clark County, Nevada, to really predict what is going to happen. In my experience, there is a difference between plea-bargaining, where a defendant pleads guilty to fewer offenses or a lesser offense than what he is charged with in return for the other offense or offenses being dismissed, and sentence-bargaining, where it seems the sentence on a plea will be less than it will be if there is a trial and the defendant is found guilty.

These are some possible factors:

1. Who is the judge? What is his (or her) reputation? Are judges in Nevada elected or appointed? If the former, when is the next election?

2. What are juries like in this county? In criminal cases, are they considered liberal or conservative?

3. Who is the district attorney? What is his (or her) reputation? When is his next election? Does his office have a policy of plea-bargaining? Does his office see this case as a trophy--that is, it will more likely take a hard position in any negotiations and seek a conviction because of the media attention the case has received, because a defendant is well known, and because the evidence of battery (for me) is overwhelming (I am still having issues with the conspiracy count)?

4. Do the victim's wishes affect what the district attorney wants to do? If there is a settlement of the civil lawsuit, and the victim states he does not oppose a plea agreement favorable to Kamara; or if the victim and the defendants strongly indicate that a settlement of the civil suit is near and they want a global settlement resolving the criminal charges as well, how will the district attorney respond?

It is not just a matter of a few statutes say. Sometimes there are exceptions to exceptions. because of the media attention and the pending civil lawsuit, there are moving parts.

I am not sure that anyone on this forum knows enough about the criminal-justice system in Clark County, Nevada, to really predict what is going to happen. In my experience, there is a difference between plea-bargaining, where a defendant pleads guilty to fewer offenses or a lesser offense than what he is charged with in return for the other offense or offenses being dismissed, and sentence-bargaining, where it seems the sentence on a plea will be less than it will be if there is a trial and the defendant is found guilty.

These are some possible factors:

1. Who is the judge? What is his (or her) reputation? Are judges in Nevada elected or appointed? If the former, when is the next election?

2. What are juries like in this county? In criminal cases, are they considered liberal or conservative?

3. Who is the district attorney? What is his (or her) reputation? When is his next election? Does his office have a policy of plea-bargaining? Does his office see this case as a trophy--that is, it will more likely take a hard position in any negotiations and seek a conviction because of the media attention the case has received, because a defendant is well known, and because the evidence of battery (for me) is overwhelming (I am still having issues with the conspiracy count)?

4. Do the victim's wishes affect what the district attorney wants to do? If there is a settlement of the civil lawsuit, and the victim states he does not oppose a plea agreement favorable to Kamara; or if the victim and the defendants strongly indicate that a settlement of the civil suit is near and they want a global settlement resolving the criminal charges as well, how will the district attorney respond?

It is not just a matter of a few statutes say. Sometimes there are exceptions to exceptions. because of the media attention and the pending civil lawsuit, there are moving parts.
I know the DA doesn't have to consider any opinions from the victim. it is really out of the victims hands on the criminal side, but is it in the victims best interest they give AK a plea deal that doesn't include jail time, considering the civil lawsuit? if AK gets jail time, loses his career, the money well is much smaller and could deeply impact the victims settlement.
it isn't fair to the average Joe this could be an option, but unfortunately I'm sure it happens often with rich/celebrity types .

I am not sure that anyone on this forum knows enough about the criminal-justice system in Clark County, Nevada, to really predict what is going to happen.

Of course. But that goes for every criminal case. DA's, judges, juries, the political environment, etc. are going to be different in every jurisdiction. Add to that, we don't even have a clear picture of all the facts in this case, so yeah, it's difficult to predict what will happen with a high degree of accuracy.

That doesn't mean, however, that we can't discuss the case, and there are general precepts of law and procedure that we can apply to most cases in evaluating this one as it develops. There are entire TV channels devoted to such things. :)

In my experience, there is a difference between plea-bargaining, where a defendant pleads guilty to fewer offenses or a lesser offense than what he is charged with in return for the other offense or offenses being dismissed, and sentence-bargaining, where it seems the sentence on a plea will be less than it will be if there is a trial and the defendant is found guilty.

Well sure. The thing that motivates most defendants to plea out is the promise of a lighter sentence. But "sentence bargaining" as you describe it, and plea bargaining are often tied together. Especially when you take into account mandatory minimums.

It's well known that defendants who are convicted at trial will get on average 3x the sentence they'd get pleading guilty to the same charge. So yes, if for example Battery resulting in great bodily harm carries a 1-5 year mandatory min, a defendant might hope to plea for something closer to one year, whereas he might get something closer to five if he goes to trial. So the sentence is changing, but the crime he's convicted with stays the same in either case.

But if a defendant so charged wants to avoid prison altogether, with that mandatory minimum there's no choice but to get the charge reduced, or counts dropped, to ones that don't carry a minimum prison term. Mandatory mins aren't like sentencing guidelines, and DA's & judges typically don't have a lot of room in sentencing to deviate down from them.

Based on the law as written, if Kamara pleads guilty to the battery count as charged, or convicted at trial, he's going inside. The law requires that. A plea to lesser battery charge, and he might avoid it. That's what plea bargaining is all about.

Of course. But that goes for every criminal case. DA's, judges, juries, the political environment, etc. are going to be different in every jurisdiction. Add to that, we don't even have a clear picture of all the facts in this case, so yeah, it's difficult to predict what will happen with a high degree of accuracy.

That doesn't mean, however, that we can't discuss the case, and there are general precepts of law and procedure that we can apply to most cases in evaluating this one as it develops. There are entire TV channels devoted to such things. :)

Well sure. The thing that motivates most defendants to plea out is the promise of a lighter sentence. But "sentence bargaining" as you describe it, and plea bargaining are often tied together. Especially when you take into account mandatory minimums.

It's well known that defendants who are convicted at trial will get on average 3x the sentence they'd get pleading guilty to the same charge. So yes, if for example Battery resulting in great bodily harm carries a 1-5 year mandatory min, a defendant might hope to plea for something closer to one year, whereas he might get something closer to five if he goes to trial. So the sentence is changing, but the crime he's convicted with stays the same in either case.

But if a defendant so charged wants to avoid prison altogether, with that mandatory minimum there's no choice but to get the charge reduced, or counts dropped, to ones that don't carry a minimum prison term. Mandatory mins aren't like sentencing guidelines, and DA's & judges typically don't have a lot of room in sentencing to deviate down from them.

Based on the law as written, if Kamara pleads guilty to the battery count as charged, or convicted at trial, he's going inside. The law requires that. A plea to lesser battery charge, and he might avoid it. That's what plea bargaining is all about.
Well said. Informative post.

I have a question. How does the other 3 other co defendants effect Kamara's plea deal? How cumbersome would it be to give all 4 defendants the same plea deal? Rather than just Kamara alone. I am just of the thinking that they put that 1yr min sentence there for a reason, and in a high profile case as this, it will be very hard to get a deal for a couple of football players and thier entourage.

I have a question. How does the other 3 other co defendants effect Kamara's plea deal? How cumbersome would it be to give all 4 defendants the same plea deal? Rather than just Kamara alone. I am just of the thinking that they put that 1yr min sentence there for a reason, and in a high profile case as this, it will be very hard to get a deal for a couple of football players and thier entourage.
I don't really know, but without question, the guy doing the stomping really complicates things for AK because I'm not sure the prosecution is going to be willing to agree to AK pleading down to a misdemeanor charge and avoid jail for something that serious. Even if conspiracy charge were dropped, AK is still on the hook for the actions of the guys with him. It might be possibly to argue that AK instigated the confrontation, and if that can be proven, I don't see him avoiding serious consequences.

I guess the question really is going to be how the confrontation started, which happened before they appeared on camera. I guess we'll find out when they appear for arraignment and hear what the actual changes will be. I'm assuming AK will plead not guilty and his legal team will then try to work a plea deal if one is not done before the arraignment date.

Maybe I’m blind but after the guy is on the ground I can’t see what happens to him, other than the stomping, or really tell who is on him. And the stomper is clearly not AK. I’d have to believe there’s more evidence against AK that was used to obtain an indictment. If not I don’t see how this video clip alone is enough to warrant jail time for AK.
I totally agree with you ! i just think that he's the one with the big checkbook so let's go after him!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom