Before we blame Carr (5 Viewers)

I think the biggest difference there is that Alvin's not part of the problem and Carr has been.

Carmichael has got to go like yesterday.. but Carr is playing poorly independent of Pete and the play calling imo.
It's certainly is easier to put more on Carr when Carr is on the field twice as often as AK. But Pete Carmichael is the reason this offense is sputtering.

This season feels dramatically worse than last year, but is it really? Lets look.

2022 record at 11 games 4-7
2023 record at 11 games 5-6

2022 points scored at 11 games - 249
2023 points scored at 11 games - 229

2022 points allowed at 11 games - 267
2023 points allowed at 11 games - 222

Looks shockingly similar. I don't believe it actually matters who is playing QB. Signing Carr was a waste of time. This is about what we can get out of Pete's offense.

Watch some All 22 videos of Carr. Say what you want about PC but if you watch the plays that are called you'll see WRs getting open and Carr consistently checking down or throwing to the wrong receiver.

PCs problem is not knowing which play to call in a given situation. It's the worst of both worlds.
The problem with what you just said is that not every receiver is the intended target on every play regardless of whether they get open or not. We don't know who the intended target is on those plays. Maybe THAT is part of the problem. Who decides who is going to be the intended target when the call comes in? Pete? Carr?

Honestly, if we still had Drew & Sean with this schedule, we might be undefeated or maybe a loss or two. This year was set up to be a cake walk. It takes a truly inept coaching staff to screw up constantly facing bad teams with backup QBs.

Carr is a 10 year vet who's never been elite, and you're asking if one the greatest QBs ever would do better in his prime with this same offense? Even the later years Drew would be leading in TDs.

I can tell you one thing you wouldn’t have heard Drew throw Taysom under the bus beginning his press conference after the game. Then he had to be prodded to say anything about his red zone pick six.
Screw this clown. It’s time to end this embarrassment.Throw him annd Dennis in the rigolets.Eat the contract. Run it with Jameis and Taysom. At least I can pull for them and not this selfish team cancer.

Carr is a 10 year vet who's never been elite, and you're asking if one the greatest QBs ever would do better in his prime with this same offense? Even the later years Drew would be leading in TDs.
Not in his prime. More like his last year or two.

Any day I would take that Drew, we might not be undefeated, but we would be a top NFC contender.
Looking at where our problems lie on offense, we could be a top contender with the other QBs we have. Those are conversations that I don't think people are ready to have though.

Looking at where our problems lie on offense, we could be a top contender with the other QBs we have. Those are conversations that I don't think people are ready to have though.
If by "people" you mean the FO, I unfortunately have to agree.

But if you mean it in the broader sense, hell yes we are!

Honestly, if we still had Drew & Sean with this schedule, we might be undefeated or maybe a loss or two. This year was set up to be a cake walk. It takes a truly inept coaching staff to screw up constantly facing bad teams with backup QBs.
Thats the thing, though, if you pair Derek Carr maybe with a better HC and OC and run a more effective, potent offense then the disaster we've seen so far, I think even with a mid-tier QB like Carr, we'd be 6-5 or 7-4, at very best, right now. I think this team's problems right now are more indicative of bad, inept coaching and lack of discipline which comes from lack of or no leadership from the HC. I truly believe if we remove DA and PC from the equation right now, and replace them with a better HC like SP, Mike McDaniel, or Sean Mcvay, even with Carr's faults, we likely have 2-3 more wins then we currently do. Derek Carr has never had a great really outside-the-box, innovative offensive HC or OC, Jon Gruden got fired over two years ago for decade-old racist e-mails during the 2011 NFLPA strike, so he only had him for a couple of seasons and all in all, statistically-speaking, he had some of his best seasons ever.

Last edited:
I can tell you from personal experience Gruden is way overrated.

He did well with Al Davis overseeing him, and then with a pre-built Dungy team.

He has a huge ego and wants full control.

When he gets it, he absolutely sucks at it.

His personnel choices for the Bucs and Raiders set them both back for years.

I can tell you from personal experience Gruden is way overrated.

He did well with Al Davis overseeing him, and then with a pre-built Dungy team.

He has a huge ego and wants full control.

When he gets it, he absolutely sucks at it.

His personnel choices for the Bucs and Raiders set them both back for years.
Al Davis wasnt exactly the best at making wise, personnel decisions regarding HC's, FO admininistration, assistant coaches, drafting players, or attracting decent, sturdy, durable FA pickups that don't fit the system, don't fit in like Randy Moss but then go on and have MVP-CALIBER seasons with better teams like New England in 2007-09. In his last decade as owner and in his life, the game passed Al Davis and I'm of the opinion, he was partially aware or conscious of that and was trying to fix it, but he died before he could. I mean, he made some seriously bad draft picks like Jemarcus Russell, a move HC Lane Kiffin opposed and pretty much everyone else in the Raiders org. did to, but Al Davis disagreed and ordered he be picked.

After the Super Bowl XXXVII debacle and Barrett Robbins abandoning the roster supposedly due to Callahan changing the teams' offensive game plan the next night before the game and Robbins had a nervous breakdown, Raiders never were the same.

The offense is all of that.. and it's also just stale. Pete only knows this system and he's not even one of the real masterminds behind it and it's all just such a terrible mixture to have to watch play out week after week.
I will go two steps further and say that Pete doesn't really know this system.

He tries to do the player swaps thing, but they make him more predictable. He calls bombs down the sideline on third and short, where the sideline benefits the defender. He runs up the middle on second and long. He has no rhythm or feel for the game, and not having the most cerebral on-field QB of all time to cover for his predictability is exposing him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom