Bobby Hebert had a career 12-0 record against AFC Teams by 1991 as a Saint Quarterback (1 Viewer)

The only HOF Qb that Bobby doesn't have a winning record against is Joe Montana. He has a winning
record against Steve Young,Dan Marino,Jim Kelly,and John Elway. This was bought up on WWL radio
once. Bobby said having a losing record against Montana was nothing to be ashamed of.
Face, considering that Montana and Niners of the 1980's and early 90's were essentially the Tom Brady and NE Patriots of that particular period in NFL history, most opposing QB's back then lost to them. FWIW, It's interesting when one focuses on the early-to-mid 80's Niners teams, they were championship-caliber squads, don't get me wrong but compared to their late 80's/early 90's successors, the talent level, depth, overall strength on both sides of the ball wasnt as good or dominant with guys like Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Rathman, a prime Roger Craig, the early 80's 49ers won mostly due to outstanding, superb planning, tactical, game-day preparation of Bill Walsh and their defenses, plus Montana's knack for magical play-making. Drafting and arrival of Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Bill Romanonowki was that 10x super-strong boost of adrenaline that put a decade or more into San Francisco's Dynasty. Otherwise, 49ers wouldve collapsed by the late 80's and another NFC contender like Giants, Eagles, Redskins, or maybe even Minnesota pre-Walker trade or even us wouldve played in and won a few more SB's, likely either Giants or Skins.

Playoff losses or appearances not withstanding, San Francisco was one, major reason why Mora's Saints, from 1986-1992, didn't win more NFC West division titles. I do also believe Mora's ultra-conservative offensive strategy and mindset were why we always tended to struggle against high-powered, octane, complex, pass-happy offenses Niners, Rams, and AFC's Oilers and later Falcons used with the "Run N' Shoot" offenses popularized by Jerry Glanville.

If the Saints if the late 80's and early to mid 90's, they likely would have been in multiple Super Bowls, but they also would have likely wound up the equivalent of the Buffalo Bills. Always the Bridesmaid and never the Bride.

Playoff losses or appearances not withstanding, San Francisco was one, major reason why Mora's Saints, from 1986-1992, didn't win more NFC West division titles. I do also believe Mora's ultra-conservative offensive strategy and mindset were why we always tended to struggle against high-powered, octane, complex, pass-happy offenses Niners, Rams, and AFC's Oilers and later Falcons used with the "Run N' Shoot" offenses popularized by Jerry Glanville.
Hence my brother's sign "Run and shoot Carl Smith" back when fans were allowed to express themselves with banners in the stadium. 1991, Saints undefeated, hosting Bears in a close game and "that fuzzy headed b*****d" runs Hilliard straight at Fridge Perry on a late 4th and 1. Brilliant play call, like Wiley Coyote hitting a canyon wall.

Went to San Diego with a die hard Charger fan in 1988. Score was 14-0 early and I was taking alot of heat with my Saints jersey on. Met and got pictures with Saints Moses at halftime, the rest was history. Came back and won 23-17, Bobby was on and the defense was stifling. Lots of Charger tears after that game.

I think it was more like the Saints defense, offense and ST's were 12-0 against AFC teams in that time period.....

Herbert like Mora were both great during the regular season......but in the playoffs when leadership and coaching really matter, they both were exposed.....

CSP critics like to spout how he "wasted" so many years of Brees career because of bad D's.......Mora "wasted" perhaps the one of the best D's in history year after year because of predictable/plodding offenses.....neither of them every won a playoff game.....

This is something a lot of people don't know. I was watching a YouTube video of the 1991 Saints playing against the Oakland Raiders on Monday Night Football. The Raiders had never lost on MNF. We won 27-0. Towards the end of the game, Frank Gifford was comparing Walsh to Hebert since Hebert was making his return after being out with an injury for several weeks with them loosing all the games in the 4th quarter under Walsh as qb. He put up a stat showing Bobby as a starter was undefeated 12-0 against AFC teams which was unheard of. I thought that was pretty impressive.

Nice job on the wayback machine šŸ‘

Indeed, those were the days of the NFCā€™s dozen-or-so years of dominance in the Super Bowl and in general. The Saints won 13 in a row against the AFC from 1987 to 1990, when the Walsh-led Saints dropped games against the Oilers and Steelers. They were 3-1 against the AFC in ā€˜91, with Walsh once again under center for the one loss to the Chargers.

They were 3-1 vs. the AFC in ā€˜92 when Bobby played the whole season. The lone loss vs. the AFC with him under center was the ā€˜92 loss at home to Buffalo. Was a typical loss of that regime, blowing a halftime lead and not having the weapons on offense to put the game away. But it was also during Buffaloā€™s four-year run going to the Super Bowl. Team full of eventual Hall of Famers.

Nice job on the wayback machine šŸ‘

Indeed, those were the days of the NFCā€™s dozen-or-so years of dominance in the Super Bowl and in general. The Saints won 13 in a row against the AFC from 1987 to 1990, when the Walsh-led Saints dropped games against the Oilers and Steelers. They were 3-1 against the AFC in ā€˜91, with Walsh once again under center for the one loss to the Chargers.

They were 3-1 vs. the AFC in ā€˜92 when Bobby played the whole season. The lone loss vs. the AFC with him under center was the ā€˜92 loss at home to Buffalo. Was a typical loss of that regime, blowing a halftime lead and not having the weapons on offense to put the game away. But it was also during Buffaloā€™s four-year run going to the Super Bowl. Team full of eventual Hall of Famers.
I was at that game. My fondest memory was Ironhead Heyward trucking some Raiders Db. It's at ,25 in the video
below.

I was at that game. My fondest memory was Ironhead Heyward trucking some Raiders Db. It's at ,25 in the video
below.

Classic Ironhead indeed šŸ‘ His long TD run against the Raiders was in 1988. Was his first NFL TD. The OPā€™s posted game was three years later, the next time the AFC West came up in the rotation for the old NFC West teams.

I was at the Falcons game in ā€˜92, on a Thursday night (back when that kind of thing was rare) when he trucked Falcons DB Scott Case. Thatā€™s included in your posted video.
Ironhead was a bit like Muncie ā€” addiction kept him from being great on a consistent basis. His son has had quite the career, though.

This is something a lot of people don't know. I was watching a YouTube video of the 1991 Saints playing against the Oakland Raiders on Monday Night Football. The Raiders had never lost on MNF. We won 27-0. Towards the end of the game, Frank Gifford was comparing Walsh to Hebert since Hebert was making his return after being out with an injury for several weeks with them loosing all the games in the 4th quarter under Walsh as qb. He put up a stat showing Bobby as a starter was undefeated 12-0 against AFC teams which was unheard of. I thought that was pretty impressive.
An unfortunate fact about the '91 Saints is that every loss was a fourth-quarter surrender

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom