Bobby Hebert had a career 12-0 record against AFC Teams by 1991 as a Saint Quarterback (3 Viewers)

I think it was more like the Saints defense, offense and ST's were 12-0 against AFC teams in that time period.....

Herbert like Mora were both great during the regular season......but in the playoffs when leadership and coaching really matter, they both were exposed.....

CSP critics like to spout how he "wasted" so many years of Brees career because of bad D's.......Mora "wasted" perhaps the one of the best D's in history year after year because of predictable/plodding offenses.....neither of them every won a playoff game.....
CSP, to his credit, did provide superb leadership, coaching and some ballsy brinkmanship with his “Ambush” surprise onside-kick to begin the second half of SB 44 down to the Colts, and helped us win this franchise’s achievement. He also helped build ( and sustain) a lot more success post-2009 with more division titles, playoff wins, for another decade. Those were indeed the “golden years” of this franchise and team, a year period that seems almost mythical now even though Brees retired just over 3 years ago.

I do wish we’d been able to appear in and possibly win a few more SB’s (2011, 2018) and some of the criticisms aimed at Payton has significant merit, especially as it relates to overlooking or ignoring the need for strong, or at least mid-tier defenses, but perfect shouldn’t be the enemy of the good and unlike New England and now Kansas City, we weren’t as fortunate to have all the right pieces in the right places consistently reinforced with a fair share of good luck.

I will say this: he won’t admit it nor infer that he’s even considering such thoughts, but right now, Tom Brady probably is afraid, and maybe a bit jealous and envious of Patrick Mahomes. Not just on what he’s achieved so far in his first 6 seasons with 3 SB rings by the age of 28, but also he knows that if Mahomes stays healthy for the next decade, their’s a very decent possibility he might break most of his all-time NFL statistical records. Mahomes has also had 2-3 5,000-yard passing seasons and when he did it, he made it look almost effortless.

Classic Ironhead indeed 👍 His long TD run against the Raiders was in 1988. Was his first NFL TD. The OP’s posted game was three years later, the next time the AFC West came up in the rotation for the old NFC West teams.

I was at the Falcons game in ‘92, on a Thursday night (back when that kind of thing was rare) when he trucked Falcons DB Scott Case. That’s included in your posted video.
Ironhead was a bit like Muncie — addiction kept him from being great on a consistent basis. His son has had quite the career, though.
I think Muncie achieved and accomplished a bit more, at least statistically then Ironhead did over the course of his career. Muncie was fortunate to play some of his best (and really last great football years) with Air Coryell’s early 80’s Chargers teams. Also, this isn’t as well-known but Muncie when he was traded mid season in 1980, probably wasn’t too broken up because he had a requested a trade from New Orleans after the 1979 season, supposedly due to overt racism he’d experienced living in New Orleans. According to Muncie, at least.

While Muncie’s biggest issues were free-basing cocaine and a complete lack of maturity and professionalism, Ironhead’s issues were mostly alcohol and directly-related ballooning weight issues.

I was on my honeymoon in New Orleans for this game. We stayed at the Hilton Riverside, and on morning of the game, ran into some of the Saints players getting breakfast along with seeing Jim Mora. Pretty cool till wife got sick and we did not go to the game. She did tell me I could go by myself, but I couldn't do it.

Face, considering that Montana and Niners of the 1980's and early 90's were essentially the Tom Brady and NE Patriots of that particular period in NFL history, most opposing QB's back then lost to them. FWIW, It's interesting when one focuses on the early-to-mid 80's Niners teams, they were championship-caliber squads, don't get me wrong but compared to their late 80's/early 90's successors, the talent level, depth, overall strength on both sides of the ball wasnt as good or dominant with guys like Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Rathman, a prime Roger Craig, the early 80's 49ers won mostly due to outstanding, superb planning, tactical, game-day preparation of Bill Walsh and their defenses, plus Montana's knack for magical play-making. Drafting and arrival of Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Bill Romanonowki was that 10x super-strong boost of adrenaline that put a decade or more into San Francisco's Dynasty. Otherwise, 49ers wouldve collapsed by the late 80's and another NFC contender like Giants, Eagles, Redskins, or maybe even Minnesota pre-Walker trade or even us wouldve played in and won a few more SB's, likely either Giants or Skins.
The 49ers were 15-1 in 1984. I'd say that qualifies as dominant.

I was on my honeymoon in New Orleans for this game. We stayed at the Hilton Riverside, and on morning of the game, ran into some of the Saints players getting breakfast along with seeing Jim Mora. Pretty cool till wife got sick and we did not go to the game. She did tell me I could go by myself, but I couldn't do it.
Ah, that’s too bad. Which game was it? What year?

I remember in my youth this being a big deal for the franchise as a whole (not just Bobby). The team itself seemed to never lose to AFC teams, until one day they did, in 1990, against the Oilers during Bobby’s holdout.

I was absolutely stunned. The AFC had been our whipping boys for so long. The streak had to have been 15+ games I think, or at least it felt that way, and it started around the time I first started watching football as a very young kid in 1987, so the thought of us losing to an AFC team was a complete unheard of, foreign concept to me. 🤣
Hebert's only loss v. AFC as a Saints starter was against Buffalo in '92. Saints would've won that game too, but Buford Jordan fumbled a kick-off that led to Buffalo winning points.

Last edited:
Hebert's only loss v. AFC as a Saints starter was against Buffalo in "92. Saints would've won that game too, but Buford Jordan fumbled a kick-off that led to Buffalo winning points.

Yep.

In hindsight, not a lot to be a shamed off with that loss. The Bills were one of the greatest teams of all-time; they just played at a time where the NFC was just far superior for whatever reason.

Seriously, they have to be the best non-SB champion dynasty ever. We probably don't give them enough credit for their absolute greatness.

Last edited:
I think it was more like the Saints defense, offense and ST's were 12-0 against AFC teams in that time period.....

Agreed. Good as Hebert’s record was against the AFC, the team strength was defense, by far.

Looking a little closer at the 12-0 run, one game that stands out was against the Bengals on the road in 1987. The Saints were down 24-3 when QB Dave Wilson came in and helped lead the team to a 41-24 come-from-behind win.

And the defense was nothing short of brilliant against the Steelers that same year, turning in two goal line stands late in the game to seal a 20-16 victory, which, because of the strike shortened season, clinched the Saint’s first winning season.

Agreed. Good as Hebert’s record was against the AFC, the team strength was defense, by far.

Looking a little closer at the 12-0 run, one game that stands out was against the Bengals on the road in 1987. The Saints were down 24-10 when QB Dave Wilson came in and helped lead the team to a 41-24 come-from-behind win.

And the defense was nothing short of brilliant against the Steelers that same year, turning in two goal line stands late in the game to seal a 20-16 victory, which, because of the strike shortened season, clinched the Saint’s first winning season.

I remember that Steelers game very well, a friend and I had driven to MD for Thanksgiving week to visit friends (and I was just planning to move there after college, which I did and lived there for 33 years), we got back just in time to see the game at my folks house....great memory.....

I remember that Steelers game very well, a friend and I had driven to MD for Thanksgiving week to visit friends (and I was just planning to move there after college, which I did and lived there for 33 years), we got back just in time to see the game at my folks house....great memory.....

It ranks among my favorite games, both because of what the win meant for the team and the way they won. I’ve linked to it before, but here’s the full game on YouTube. Anybody who doesn’t want to watch it all, jump ahead to the fourth quarter for some great defensive football with the game on the line.

Yep.

In hindsight, not a lot to be a shamed off with that loss. The Bills were one of the greatest teams of all-time; they just played at a time where the NFC was just far superior for whatever reason.

Seriously, they have to be the best non-SB champion dynasty ever. We probably don't give them enough credit for their absolute greatness.
Norwood's missed FG in '91 Superbowl changed everything for that team.

I remember where I was as well. I was at a local bar with friends. The place erupted when we stopped them on 4th
down at the goal line. Looking back it was sad in a way. Steelers center Mike Webster was abused on that series,
It was obvious he was way past his prime,and we know the rest of his story.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom