Bobby Hebert: Marshon Lattimore is Becoming Michael Thomas 2.0 for the Saints (1 Viewer)

After Lattimore hurt his ankle again the Vikes last year he kind of disappeared from the Saints facility. Granted he was on injured reserve for a month, but reports were he wasn't around the team and, even though Saints were pushing for the playoffs, he never made it back on the field. Someone who covers the team told me his locker even looked cleaned out. It was odd. Something was up for sure and then the trade rumors started. So I think there was some kind of breakdown.

There was a more general story that a number of "Payton Vets" started poor-mouthing DA around the locker room. That included Lattimore, Kamara, Winston and Thomas. Whatever you think of Allen as the coach, you can't have a cadre of vets poisoning the team against him. In that situation you really should clean house, even if criticism is valid and even if it means losing good players. You can't build a team if holdovers from the last regime are hanging around undercutting the coach. Payton and Loomis did it once before when the locker room went sour. Don't think this was that bad, but you can't allow malingering of that kind. It's a killer.

WWL needs to start locking the liquor cabinet when Bobby & Mike D enter the building...

This is why I no longer listen to their broadcast.

Nah, Payton didn’t always get along with Saints stars. He shipped out Jimmy Graham, he had issues with Michael Thomas and there’s about a handful of other runins with productive Saints players during his run as HC. The problems we assume DA has in the locker room is what CSP dealt with but we usually blamed the player because CSP was winning.

According to Duncan, Saints beef with Lattimore started because they’re frustrated with his injury recovery pace after missing half a season 2 years in a row. That irked Lattimore and brought them to where they are now.

DA developed Lattimore into the top CB he is today since Latt’s been here. He’s a byproduct of DA’s coaching like the rest of the DBs and defense so coaching isn’t the main issue here. The HC/FO and Lattimore just has to continue mending their gripes about his health and truly move forward together like they say they will.
He didn't ship out Jimmy Graham. Loomis has gone into detail about the Seahawks bringing up JG first in trade talks.

There is a gigantic difference. Michael Thomas had a major injury leaving him on the sidelines for years and his contract had to be adjusted because he no longer played at a pro bowl level. Lattimore is the best player on the team. Lattimore is one of the main reasons Saints fans do not unanimously despise the Chiefs for jumping ahead of us to draft Mahomes more than we do because Lattimore is one of the best players in franchise history. The only real reason this talk of a Lattimore trade is on the table is that one thing Allen has done very well is draft non-first round corners who can ball out in his scheme. We have two and potentially three other than Lattimore and Lattimore deserves to be paid as a number one corner in a world where lock down corners are not being paid like they use to and are moving teams: see Jalen Ramsey and Xavier Howard. It means Adebo and Taylor are going to not be on rookie deals and something has to budge. Lattimore had one off the field incident that he never got suspended for because of a firearm in a vehicle that resulted in nothing. Thomas had an incident with a neighbor, a fight with CGJ (who hasn't), and was no longer our number one wide receiver. Different worlds.

Nah, Payton didn’t always get along with Saints stars. He shipped out Jimmy Graham, he had issues with Michael Thomas and there’s about a handful of other runins with productive Saints players during his run as HC. The problems we assume DA has in the locker room is what CSP dealt with but we usually blamed the player because CSP was winning.

According to Duncan, Saints beef with Lattimore started because they’re frustrated with his injury recovery pace after missing half a season 2 years in a row. That irked Lattimore and brought them to where they are now.

DA developed Lattimore into the top CB he is today since Latt’s been here. He’s a byproduct of DA’s coaching like the rest of the DBs and defense so coaching isn’t the main issue here. The HC/FO and Lattimore just has to continue mending their gripes about his health and truly move forward together like they say they will.

I'd agree with all of this except, Lattimore was the top CB the year he was drafted. Lattimore would have been a #1 CB where ever he went. I don't think DA developed him into anything. If he's in KC and Mahomes is in New Orleans, I don't think Lattimore is any less of a CB and I don't think Mahomes doesn't become Mahomes. These were top players, first round picks.

Give DA all the credit for developing Gardner-Johnson and Adebo, but I think it's a stretch to say he developed Lattimore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom