Calls for an "immediate impact" at CB through the draft. Do they make sense? (1 Viewer)

Besides Dorsey or Ellis, I don't see any DT's we select playing fulltime (not that any DT's play fulltime anyway). Whoever we pick will be rotated with Thomas, Young, and Clancy.

2006 - Tye Hill started 10 games for the Rams and Antonio Cromartie, in his 2nd year, is one of the top CB's in the league. Jonathan Joseph for the Bengals started 9 games as a rookie.
2007 - Revis for the Jets, Leon Hall for the Bengals, and Aaron Ross for the Giants all started and contributed last season to their teams.
I do agree that adding Gay, Young, and David in the last 2 off seasons has made a roster spot at that position hard to secure, but I don't think it's a lock to say a rookie could not contribute to our Defense.

im with u on this one, plus we leave out injury if mm or gay gets nicked up then jd starts again:covri:

Besides Dorsey or Ellis, I don't see any DT's we select playing fulltime (not that any DT's play fulltime anyway). Whoever we pick will be rotated with Thomas, Young, and Clancy.

I also concure. Safety and DT are the only real spots on D where someone could come in and start from day one. Even then, as stated, other that Dorsey or Ellis, no one else in this draft would unseat anyone at DT, LB, or even maybe safety unless there was an injury. If the FO is happy with Zach Strief, and I think they are, our one huge IMMEDIATLY FILLABLE hole on draft day would be left gaurd. Nesbit just isn't it. Then you can draft all the DT's and Safties and corners you want fot the next 2 years. Our QB, OL, and WR would all be set and one or two impact defenders would have us in the 2006 Colts mold.

Did anybody see Aaron Ross last year? He made some rookie mistakes, but also made some big plays. Just because every rookie doesn't start, doesn't mean we can't get lucky.

My biggest concern is injury. If MM isnt ready I hope Young can step in and take one of those spots which probably leaves David/Gay starting in the other spot with whoever loses that at nickel. Jason Craft has been on this team for years and has never shown he is capable of being a starter. I would rather have a talented rookie playing and learning in that dime or possibly nickel position. Morgan probably wont make it through the season and even if he does we don't know how good he will be coming off the injury so a rookie would have a chance to start there and any of the top 4 DTs would probably see signifigant playing time in the rotation at tackle. I would love to see a safety come in and start over Bullocks but I dont see Payton taking him out.

I also concure. Safety and DT are the only real spots on D where someone could come in and start from day one. Even then, as stated, other that Dorsey or Ellis, no one else in this draft would unseat anyone at DT, LB, or even maybe safety unless there was an injury. If the FO is happy with Zach Strief, and I think they are, our one huge IMMEDIATLY FILLABLE hole on draft day would be left gaurd. Nesbit just isn't it. Then you can draft all the DT's and Safties and corners you want fot the next 2 years. Our QB, OL, and WR would all be set and one or two impact defenders would have us in the 2006 Colts mold.

So you are telling me that one of the two best cornerbacks in the draft....drafted at #10 mind you, could not come in a start on a defense that was ranked at the bottom of the league last year....COME ON.

If that's the case...CB should not be the pick with the 10th overall pick.

Who ever is picked at 10 should come in and start day 1..... IMO

I would love to see a safety come in and start over Bullocks but I dont see Payton taking him out.

The secondary is more than just corners. Payton didn't draft Bullocks and even showed he has the sack to cut his own picks. We all know Bullocks looks lost sometimes, so I wouldn't be surprised if we got S Kenny Phillips in the second, or if the FO is looking at someone for the 3rd and beyond.

Did anybody see Aaron Ross last year? He made some rookie mistakes, but also made some big plays. Just because every rookie doesn't start, doesn't mean we can't get lucky.

Did you read the thread? At no point has anyone ever said rookie corners can't contribute or start. The whole point was that with our depth we do not have to pick a CB for "immediate impact" and can afford to take the CB with the highest ceiling and most potential even if they don't start in year one.

Who ever is picked at 10 should come in and start day 1..... IMO

Unless that pick is an OG or one of the top DT's, your going to be very disappointed at the end of April. Its unlikely anyone we pick at ten will be a fulltime starter to start the season.

How many times have we heard this? We need to get an "impact player" at CB in the 1st round. "We can't select so and so because he'd take longer to develop"....so on and so forth. But lets look at the current roster....

MM, Young, David, Gay, and Craft. Now lets assume said rookie CB, no matter who he is, can beat out Craft and make the 53 man roster. That would put him inactive on gamedays. Now lets say he beats out Young or David and is activated on gamedays and plays Dime back. Past that what rookie corner is going to come in and unseat Gay and MM as starters?

The point is, it sounds good to say "we need to get an immediate starter at CB"...but in reality regardless of who we pick, they will likely be the dime back or inactive their rookie year. So the moral is, pick the CB we think has the most potential and who is the best player available, not the CB whos most "NFL" ready but has a lower ceiling. Because that NFL readiness won't matter much anyway.

McKelvin or Cromartie have the most potential of all the CB's in this draft. The fact that they went to small schools and might need some coaching shouldn't be a factor b/c theres little chance any rookie corner is anything more then a dime back his rookie year anyway. Expecting any drafted corner to come in and start (on a team that has already signed a starter in FA no less) is unrealistic so don't base your grading of CB's on that.

I agree totally. We have a lot of CB's on this roster, several who are at least good enough to hold off a rookie for a year. I think MM, Gay, and David all will be involved heavily in our secondary for the heavy investment in all of them at the very least. David WILL be given another year to work into our system, with his paycheck they just have to try and make him work out.

I support drafting a CB but just get the BPA and in no way should we do something crazy like some people have suggested like trading for Lito Sheppard and STILL drafting a CB.

At very best the CB we draft at 10 would come is at #2 CB and ONLY if MM doesnt come back from his injury well. The starters most likely will be MM/Gay then rookie, Young and David fighting for the other spots.

Last edited:
Did you read the thread? At no point has anyone ever said rookie corners can't contribute or start. The whole point was that with our depth we do not have to pick a CB for "immediate impact" and can afford to take the CB with the highest ceiling and most potential even if they don't start in year one.

You can't waste the 10th overall pick on someone who will sit the bench.

To me that's wasting the pick. Settle for the best CB avaiable in the second round if that's the case.

You can't waste the 10th overall pick on someone who will sit the bench.

To me that's wasting the pick. Settle for the best CB avaiable in the second round if that's the case.

Rivers isn't going to start from day one if hes the pick either. Beating out a probowler in Dan Morgan and the current starter in Shanle will be a tough order for a rookie. So do you now not want him? You pick the player who will have the best career, not the best rookie year.

This thread shows why we should trade up and get Ellis or Dorsey whoever falls out of the top 5.

We have young corners to develop and we can pick up another one in the 2nd or 5th round but we need youth and quality at the DT position desparately.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom