Comic Book Talk (2 Viewers)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The "what are you reading" thread gave me the idea to kick off a comic book discussion thread. I was kind of surprised that we didn't have one going already, seeing as we have a rather diverse crowd of comic lovers. So, to get this one going, I bring this news:

https://screenrant.com/superman-costume-action-comics/

And I couldn't be more excited by it! :)

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I forgot when they stopped doing that, but it's been so long it doesn't phase me at all. It confuses the hell out of some people especially when there are re-launches (looking at you Marvel). They rely on you to look inside, or understand how to read the current barcode format, to know what volume of the series your reading. I was happy when DC started moving things back to legacy numbering on their main books (first Action and Detective, now Flash and Wonder Woman as well). I fully expect that once we get past issue #100 of Batman next month, we'll be getting an announcement that Batman will be returning to legacy numbering as well, especially since it's the next book in line to reach issue #1000. It should reach it before Spider-Man (Marvel's closest) does.
It's one thing if you're holding the actual book in your hands but I'm more talking about just the references in articles

i like to know when the issue came out so I can get a mental picture of what the art was like at the time, also the writing, was it the innocent 50s or the edgy 90s?

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
About time. I wonder who replaces him and repairs the damage he's done?
Well, there's a story out today that Mark Waid is returning to DC (now that DiDio is gone). One of his best stories was Superman: Birthright (and my favorite Elseworld book ever, Kingdom Come). Only problem though it's that Waid is as much of a retread as Bendis is.

Sun Wukong

Worlds Deadliest Fighting Arts Champion and Master
Reaction score
Well, there's a story out today that Mark Waid is returning to DC (now that DiDio is gone). One of his best stories was Superman: Birthright (and my favorite Elseworld book ever, Kingdom Come). Only problem though it's that Waid is as much of a retread as Bendis is.
He is, but he has wanted that Superman gig for a long time (I think not getting it was what led to the original falling out) and I think Waid is well suited to making it work. Maybe not the splashiest choice, but he won't screw it up.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
He is, but he has wanted that Superman gig for a long time (I think not getting it was what led to the original falling out) and I think Waid is well suited to making it work. Maybe not the splashiest choice, but he won't screw it up.
I just need someone willing to retcon Jon Kent to his younger self.

Sun Wukong

Reaction score
Not that anyone expected otherwise at this point, but Jim Lee has officially confirmed 5G ain't happening, but some elements of it may be incorporated into books throughout 2021. No line wide event. Just stripping it for parts.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
Not that anyone expected otherwise at this point, but Jim Lee has officially confirmed 5G ain't happening, but some elements of it may be incorporated into books throughout 2021. No line wide event. Just stripping it for parts.
I'm ok with this.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
Take this story from Uncle Rich with a grain of salt, but one thing that is absolutely true... Marvel doesn't pay their creators well at all.

Sun Wukong

Reaction score
Take this story from Uncle Rich with a grain of salt, but one thing that is absolutely true... Marvel doesn't pay their creators well at all.

I know for a fact that there were Marvel writers in the past several years on mid and lower tier books still working day jobs. And there was the whole "recruiting artists from tumblr" thing years back. Let's just say you get what you pay for. I'd hate to see DC go down that path, as we saw some really, genuinely terrible output from Marvel with those kinds of policies in place. Although I do think there's a way to get cheaper and newer talent with scraping the bottom of the barrel.

That said, it definitely seems like they're going to be shedding some top heavy creator contracts.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in an in-depth (with spoilers) review of the monumental Detective Comics #1027...

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
This is from last week, but as we expected, DC Universe is rebranding as a comics-only platform in 2021 with a larger library becoming available and more.

I'm on board with this move and will be keeping my subscription.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, it seems DC is giving us 5G without the 5G name.

Some of this stuff looks pretty interesting.
I can deal with a little change, as long as it's short-lived. Don't give me this massive universe altering crap where the characters don't resemble their actual self. And I seriously need to catch up on my reading....I'm wayyyy behind again.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
I can deal with a little change, as long as it's short-lived. Don't give me this massive universe altering crap where the characters don't resemble their actual self. And I seriously need to catch up on my reading....I'm wayyyy behind again.
Well, it's good they're doing the main titles during these two months. If you're reading the current titles, they're pretty much leading to this in some form, especially in Batman.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom