Comic Book Talk (1 Viewer)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The "what are you reading" thread gave me the idea to kick off a comic book discussion thread. I was kind of surprised that we didn't have one going already, seeing as we have a rather diverse crowd of comic lovers. So, to get this one going, I bring this news:

https://screenrant.com/superman-costume-action-comics/

And I couldn't be more excited by it! :)

Sun Wukong

Worlds Deadliest Fighting Arts Champion and Master
Reaction score
Before the pandemic I might have said yes, but they're not going to be making any big purchases for a while. It took a global pandemic that shut down theaters and theme parks to do it, but for the first time in decades they took some heavy losses that have made them look vulnerable. And who knows how long it will take for their core areas to recover.

Apple is interesting in that they're sitting on a stockpile of billions in cash reserves and have been looking to branch out for a while. Apple+ hasn't exactly been a world beater in the streaming wars and the DC portfolio could be a massive upgrade there. And there already in place infrastructure across all their platforms could make for some interesting digital publishing possibilities.

From a traditional standpoint, Comcast would make the most sense. They tried and failed to buy Disney at a weak point in the early 00s, then got Universal about 7 years ago. Buying DC would give them access to properties that would almost instantly enhance Universal Pictures plus they've already got numerous international theme parks they could put those IPs to work in, as well.

The question I keep coming back to, though, is traditional publishing. If they are eventually sold, is thr company that buys them willing to invest in regular monthly comics in a meaningful way? Even their current owner seems to be taking a slash and burn approach to the publishing line if rumors are to be believed.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

No thanks, I already had a world without Superman back in 1993. I'd rather not have that again. :(

Sun Wukong

Reaction score
So as the fallout form the DCpocalypse starts to settle down and the very earliest signs of restructuring begin to occur, it looks like they're probably not in too much danger of being sold off or mothballed, but big changes are happening. As of right now:

-Jim Lee is staying on as Pubisher. He claimed in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter that corporate has a two year plan for DC and despite the cuts and shakeup it's more about refocusing and modernizing. We'll see.

-Marie Javins and Michele Wells have been named (interim, for now) co-Editors-in-Chief. This has led to a bunch of whining about forced diversity/women/etc. from the usual losers, but it should be noted that Javins has been in the industry for decades and has had editorial and management stints and both Marvel and DC and Wells is highly regarded for her work with DC's children and young adult initiatives. They are both qualified for the job. Some have questioned the "two managers" approach, but it does seem they will be filling different roles, with Javins doing more nuts and bolts traditional stuff and Wells focusing on other initiatives and as a liaison with the corporate overlords.

-The publishing line looks to be cut by 20-25%. Many books have already been cancelled (Aquaman, Hawkman, Hellblazerx Teen Titans, among several others). The focus for now will be on investing in the stronger core titles that generate revenue.

-As part of the two year plan, there is apparently going to be a focus on expanding internationally and a massive expansion with digital publishing, with a big push for digital only and digital first books. With digital the idea is they can expand better internationally without physical copies, then go back and publish the most successful of these titles as physical books.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Good. Can they now focus on writing some good Superman stuff that makes me actually want to read it instead of having it sit in a pile waiting to be read whenever I have nothing else to do?

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
So as the fallout form the DCpocalypse starts to settle down and the very earliest signs of restructuring begin to occur, it looks like they're probably not in too much danger of being sold off or mothballed, but big changes are happening. As of right now:

-Jim Lee is staying on as Pubisher. He claimed in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter that corporate has a two year plan for DC and despite the cuts and shakeup it's more about refocusing and modernizing. We'll see.

-Marie Javins and Michele Wells have been named (interim, for now) co-Editors-in-Chief. This has led to a bunch of whining about forced diversity/women/etc. from the usual losers, but it should be noted that Javins has been in the industry for decades and has had editorial and management stints and both Marvel and DC and Wells is highly regarded for her work with DC's children and young adult initiatives. They are both qualified for the job. Some have questioned the "two managers" approach, but it does seem they will be filling different roles, with Javins doing more nuts and bolts traditional stuff and Wells focusing on other initiatives and as a liaison with the corporate overlords.

-The publishing line looks to be cut by 20-25%. Many books have already been cancelled (Aquaman, Hawkman, Hellblazerx Teen Titans, among several others). The focus for now will be on investing in the stronger core titles that generate revenue.

-As part of the two year plan, there is apparently going to be a focus on expanding internationally and a massive expansion with digital publishing, with a big push for digital only and digital first books. With digital the idea is they can expand better internationally without physical copies, then go back and publish the most successful of these titles as physical books.
Good to know my co-host and I were on target when we did our special podcast episode on the fallout. DC isn't going anywhere and I have zero problem with a slimmer line of books. Marvel has already been canceling stuff on their end as well and I suspect that to continue with layoffs coming pretty soon from across the Mouse brand of companies, including Marvel. Disney might be hurting as much as, if not more than, AT&T.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Good to know my co-host and I were on target when we did our special podcast episode on the fallout. DC isn't going anywhere and I have zero problem with a slimmer line of books. Marvel has already been canceling stuff on their end as well and I suspect that to continue with layoffs coming pretty soon from across the Mouse brand of companies, including Marvel. Disney might be hurting as much as, if not more than, AT&T.
As usual, I'm behind on my comic reading, but as far as Marvel books, I still only get X-Men, X-Force, and Wolverine in digital form. All these Empyre titles and tie-ins was just too much, so I didn't jump in on them. Are we looking them moving away from all these frequent major events where you have to buy 37 different titles in order to keep up?

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
As usual, I'm behind on my comic reading, but as far as Marvel books, I still only get X-Men, X-Force, and Wolverine in digital form. All these Empyre titles and tie-ins was just too much, so I didn't jump in on them. Are we looking them moving away from all these frequent major events where you have to buy 37 different titles in order to keep up?
We're talking about Marvel, right?

Outside of the X-books in my current pull, the only Empyre-related book I'm getting is Immortal She-Hulk.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We're talking about Marvel, right?

Outside of the X-books in my current pull, the only Empyre-related book I'm getting is Immortal She-Hulk.
Yep, Marvel. I'm guessing that if you wanted to be completely caught up on Empyre, you'd have to buy a ridiculous number of books for it. I've never been much for all that, which I believe I've mentioned in here before. Maybe it's time for Marvel to stop with all that and condense things down a bit.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
My local comic shop owner was trying to push Empyre on me. I told him that these events pushed me out 25 years ago and I don't have a problem backing out again. Marvel canceled 40% of Empyre but it's still too costly to follow in my opinion.

I'm guessing that Empyre will change everything again and I'll start collecting volume 8 of Captain America.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
My local comic shop owner was trying to push Empyre on me. I told him that these events pushed me out 25 years ago and I don't have a problem backing out again. Marvel canceled 40% of Empyre but it's still too costly to follow in my opinion.

I'm guessing that Empyre will change everything again and I'll start collecting volume 8 of Captain America.
Yeah, I can't see myself doing something lie Empyre anymore. Last real event I invested in was No Man's Land, but that was because I was already collecting Batman and Detective Comics. DC's events these days are much more contained. No crisises anymore unless you count all the Metal crap Scott Snyder does.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
Looks like Marvel, like DC, are starting to slash titles. Doctor Strange has been cancelled.

Sun Wukong

Reaction score
Good. Can they now focus on writing some good Superman stuff that makes me actually want to read it instead of having it sit in a pile waiting to be read whenever I have nothing else to do?
Another, as yet unconfirmed officially, thing that has been said about the restructure is all the major creator exclusive deals are going under the microscope. So it wouldn't shock me if it's determined Bendis is not at all worth all that money he's getting paid.

Which he isn't. They're paying for little more than extremely diminished name value for a guy that was the industry Golden Boy two decades ago at this point.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
Another, as yet unconfirmed officially, thing that has been said about the restructure is all the major creator exclusive deals are going under the microscope. So it wouldn't shock me if it's determined Bendis is not at all worth all that money he's getting paid.

Which he isn't. They're paying for little more than extremely diminished name value for a guy that was the industry Golden Boy two decades ago at this point.
Yup. One of the many dumb mistakes DiDio made in his waning years there.

Lee also confirmed what's also been suspected that all original content on DCU is going to HBO Max and that DCU will be looking more like Marvel Unlimited in the near future. I'm ok with that as long as they increase the library.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yall checking out DC Fandome? Starts in about 20 minutes.

Sun Wukong

Reaction score
Yall checking out DC Fandome? Starts in about 20 minutes.
I'll be following news on it throughout the day. They ended up moving most of it to September 12th as a result of the slash and burn, but most of the big movie and TV panels are still today. And I'm interested in hearing about the Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League game from Rocksteady.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom