Comic Book Talk (2 Viewers)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The "what are you reading" thread gave me the idea to kick off a comic book discussion thread. I was kind of surprised that we didn't have one going already, seeing as we have a rather diverse crowd of comic lovers. So, to get this one going, I bring this news:

https://screenrant.com/superman-costume-action-comics/

And I couldn't be more excited by it! :)

Sun Wukong

Worlds Deadliest Fighting Arts Champion and Master
Reaction score
I knew Javins got promoted, but didn't think it was in that manner.

Will say this. Jim Lee should be stripped of the publisher title. He does absolutely nothing within the organization to deserve it and you can see that from the fact that no one inside DC reports to him; not a single person.
Yeah, was confirmed yesterday that Javins (who I have hopes for, I should note. She's been well respected in the industry for decades) got the full time gig and Wells (among others) got axed.

Lee has always been a figurehead in that role. Even when it was the DiDio/Johns/Lee triumvirate overseeing things he didn't do much. There's been chatter about him leaving next year. The fact that he doesn't seem to actually oversee the comics line despite that technically being his job means I can't see them keeping that contract on the books.

I've waffled back and forth on this, but given the fire sale AT&T is having I'm back to believing DC being sold isn't an impossobility.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
I've waffled back and forth on this, but given the fire sale AT&T is having I'm back to believing DC being sold isn't an impossobility.
Yeah. I've been compiling a list of prospective buyers if that was to happen. Frankly, as long as it isn't the Mouse, I'm ok. My tentative (wish) list:
1. Apple
2. Netflix
3. Comcast (even though they're supposedly starting their own through NBC/Universial)

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In recent weeks, I've been having a thought bouncing around in my head. It's been relatively minor most of time.....on the way far back burner, on barely there heat. I've actually been thinking of getting out of comic collecting. Now, I'm not sure that I actually will because the collector in me almost can't break the habit of looking at what comes out each week and ordering them every few weeks. I've just got such a huge pile of issues built up to read and I keep putting it off, which tells me that the urge to read them just isn't quite there. Maybe if I'd actually read them, it would fire me back up again. I don't know. Perhaps it's because I've been more into sports card collecting lately and have my attention focused there (my Youtube sports card channel has been a pleasant project.). I guess I'll figure it out eventually. Either that or I'll just keep buying stuff and piling it up. :confused2:

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
In recent weeks, I've been having a thought bouncing around in my head. It's been relatively minor most of time.....on the way far back burner, on barely there heat. I've actually been thinking of getting out of comic collecting. Now, I'm not sure that I actually will because the collector in me almost can't break the habit of looking at what comes out each week and ordering them every few weeks. I've just got such a huge pile of issues built up to read and I keep putting it off, which tells me that the urge to read them just isn't quite there. Maybe if I'd actually read them, it would fire me back up again. I don't know. Perhaps it's because I've been more into sports card collecting lately and have my attention focused there (my Youtube sports card channel has been a pleasant project.). I guess I'll figure it out eventually. Either that or I'll just keep buying stuff and piling it up. :confused2:
If you're looking to dump some stuff...

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If you're looking to dump some stuff...
I'm not looking to get rid of what I have. I'm just contemplating whether or not I want to continue on with things. All of these discussions that I see about the state of the industry probably don't help any, either.

Sun Wukong

Reaction score
So Rich Johnston (yeah, I know) is claiming that he's talked to several higher level staffers at DC who have basically told him the following:

-There's going to be a move away from monthly floppies, to digital serialization for monthly titles and then collecting those in physical trades. They are also looking at doing physical monthly anthology titles.

-The emphasis for these trades and anthologies is the mainstream market: they want them in bookstores, school book fairs, Amazon, etc. and that supposedly the direct market/comic shops are no longer a primary concern with this model.

- The content they're producing going forward is only going to focus on characters with big multimedia presences, so Batman, Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, etc. He speculates that DC conceivably license out the lower tier characters to another publisher (kind of like Marvel licenses out the Star Wars Adventures kiddie comics to IDW), but says that there have been inquiries about this and the licensing fees DC are asking for are too astronomical for any publisher to actually pay.

-DC Comics will no longer be having a notable presence at comic cons (once they're a thing again) and most of their con presence will be just tied up in the broader Warner Bros. stuff as SDCC and NYCC.

Again, it's Rich so take it with a truckload of salt. And he himself even says that it's just company rumor for now. But I will say this: he does have a history of getting leaks whenever sheet starts hitting the fan at either company and people start running to him anonymously to get word out, and he says that he had multiple sources at DC tell him this and no one he asked outside of those sources refuted any of it.

Sun Wukong

Reaction score
At this point the best thing that could happen is some other major company stepping in and making an offer. If Comcast wants into the comics game, make AT&T an offer. That portfolio of IPs would be an instant boost to Universal from movies to theme parks.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
-There's going to be a move away from monthly floppies, to digital serialization for monthly titles and then collecting those in physical trades. They are also looking at doing physical monthly anthology titles.
If this happens, then it will likely be the nail in the coffin for my comic collecting days. I like filling up the long and short boxes.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
At this point the best thing that could happen is some other major company stepping in and making an offer. If Comcast wants into the comics game, make AT&T an offer. That portfolio of IPs would be an instant boost to Universal from movies to theme parks.
Didn't Comcast start a comic company? Morrison was supposed to be their main star. I just knew they were doing that with the plans of grabbing DC.

Sun Wukong

Reaction score
Didn't Comcast start a comic company? Morrison was supposed to be their main star. I just knew they were doing that with the plans of grabbing DC.
From what I gather it's basically just Universal Content Production having an imprint called UCP Graphic with Boom! Studios. Morrison was the first guy they brought on. Seems like toe in the water stuff at best and nothing too major.

Sun Wukong

Reaction score
If this happens, then it will likely be the nail in the coffin for my comic collecting days. I like filling up the long and short boxes.
I've kind of believed the monthly floppy model isn't long for this world for a while now. Periodicals of any sort just don't make money anymore, be they newspapers, magazines, whatever.

The next five years are so are going to be...interesting for the comic book industry.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
I've kind of believed the monthly floppy model isn't long for this world for a while now. Periodicals of any sort just don't make money anymore, be they newspapers, magazines, whatever.

The next five years are so are going to be...interesting for the comic book industry.
I need my floppies, says every speculator ever.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I need my floppies, says every speculator ever.
LOL, yeah, I've long given up on the speculating. I just like getting the floppies because it's how I've always done it. I like having the book in hand, the smell, etc. I'm not getting rich off comics.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)