Could Cam Jordan drop weight and play OLB? (1 Viewer)

Does Jordan need to add weight to play 3-4 end more effectively?

Thats a good point...his playing weight is wht 275-85? He might b asked to put on about 15lbs to get to 300 or so. Its a shorter distance to lose weight...moving him to OLB could build upon last season as a passrusher. Hes already stout@ the run and its because of good technique rather thn size.

However somebody mentioned he has trouble with holding his weight in check so putting on lbs might b easier

Does Jordan need to add weight to play 3-4 end more effectively?

After his rookie year I think he lost weight to be more effective as a 4-3 end. So I'd imagine he is putting it back on.

After his rookie year I think he lost weight to be more effective as a 4-3 end. So I'd imagine he is putting it back on.

Just food for thought...but if hes capable if dropping wait and maintaining it...dont most teams making the switch to 3-4 make their DE's OLB's when possible?

This is for arguments sake

Yes but it's not like it always works (freeney, kampman etc). Sincerely, i'd rather see cam as a 3-4 de, i always thought he'd be a beast in that position, he's a great run stuffer but he really isn't anything special as a rusher

Just food for thought...but if hes capable if dropping wait and maintaining it...dont most teams making the switch to 3-4 make their DE's OLB's when possible?

I think that is usually when they are of the lighter, speed rushing variety ends.

When Cam came into the league he was a powerful, anchoring, Strong side type End who wasn't really projected to be a great pass rusher. I think that's why so many feel strongly that he can excel as a 34 End.

I think that is usually when they are of the lighter, speed rushing variety ends.

When Cam came into the league he was a powerful, anchoring, Strong side type End who wasn't really projected to be a great pass rusher. I think that's why so many feel strongly that he can excel as a 34 End.

He mentions in the video that he almost proved he could be a passrusher.

You gotta love the kids drive. Suppose he lobbies to change to OLB....we do have a need there. Its highly unlikely i know...but it would b an interesting turn of events.

Its possible on paper and still have a good D line. Hicks/bunkley/smith with tom johnson and walker on reserve.

Gallete Hawthore Lofton Jordan with tez and Broughton in reserve.

Of course im projecting here but its possible

I hear you but he's a natural 3-4 DE. Played it in college and was rated just after JJ Watt in that position. I mean you're taking a player who was a stud DE in the 3-4, then asking him to drop a lot of weight and do a bunch of things he's never done before.

I just don't see the point in it. It's a huge iffy proposition over a sure thing.

Jordan doesn't need to put on weight to play DE in a 3-4. This season he played effectively both at end and moving inside to tackle, and he dropped weight from his prior season. He's clearly quicker and better able to move around at the lower weight. And even at the lower weight, he's plenty big enough to play DE in a 3-4. More weight would only slow him down and make him less productive.

I hear you but he's a natural 3-4 DE. Played it in college and was rated just after JJ Watt in that position. I mean you're taking a player who was a stud DE in the 3-4, then asking him to drop a lot of weight and do a bunch of things he's never done before.

I just don't see the point in it. It's a huge iffy proposition over a sure thing.

You mean kinda what we did when us a 4-3team
drafted a 3-4end and then asked him to drop weight and get after the passer?

Hed be dropping weight and rushing the passer......he was our most productive end doing tht last year

Hed be dropping weight and rushing the passer......he was our most productive end doing tht last year

We were playing him at LDE and 3-tech, not that much of a difference between that and his role in the 3-4. I mean he only dropped like 5-10 pounds. Does he even have the frame to drop as much as you want him to? He's a big dude.

All this is completely ignoring he excels at hand fighting and using leverage in close quarters. OLB in the 3-4 would be asking him to play in a lot more space, and taking away some of his best attributes. I'm sorry but there is zero logic or need for us to even attempt such a move.

Maybe we can get Henderson to bulk up and play TE, he's a great run blocker after all.

We were playing him at LDE and 3-tech, not that much of a difference between that and his role in the 3-4. I mean he only dropped like 5-10 pounds. Does he even have the frame to drop as much as you want him to? He's a big dude.

All this is completely ignoring he excels at hand fighting and using leverage in close quarters. OLB in the 3-4 would be asking him to play in a lot more space, and taking away some of his best attributes. I'm sorry but there is zero logic or need for us to even attempt such a move.

Maybe we can get Henderson to bulk up and play TE, he's a great run blocker after all.

Yeah the main objection to this would be him playing in space.

I detect the sarcasm with the devery comment but that wouldnt b logical.

This option and a suggestion at it is very plausible...considering his athleticism.

Were doing a complete scheme switch...we dont know anybodys position right now.

Like i mentioned b4 cam was trying to prove he could b a passrusher.

Much like martez could lobbied for a position change...Cam could do the same if he feels like he still wants to prove he can be productive rushing the passer.

The playing in space would b a mystery though

Jordan is our version of Antonio Smith (Texans) and might be even better against the run in a 3-4 because of his jolt and hand use at the line to knock tackles and guards back.

He has straight line speed and is quicker than people give him credit for but he in no way is as smooth in coverage as a guy like Devin Taylor and wouldn't be able to change directions well enough either, like an Ahmad Brooks. Devin Taylor has great feet for a guy his size changing directions.

When Haslett first drafted Will Smith, he had designs on switching to a 4-3 and even lined him up at 3-4 outside linebacker in our first preseason game against the jets, same thing happened. He couldn't break down well enough in space so he scrapped the idea.

Jordan is our version of Antonio Smith (Texans) and might be even better against the run in a 3-4 because of his jolt and hand use at the line to knock tackles and guards back.

He has straight line speed and is quicker than people give him credit for but he in no way is as smooth in coverage as a guy like Devin Taylor and wouldn't be able to change directions well enough either, like an Ahmad Brooks. Devin Taylor has great feet for a guy his size changing directions.

When Haslett first drafted Will Smith, he had designs on switching to a 4-3 and even lined him up at 3-4 outside linebacker in our first preseason game against the jets, same thing happened. He couldn't break down well enough in space so he scrapped the idea.

Great point...but how can u saw he might have a problem changing directions when his 3-cone is better than aldons smiths while 20lbs heavier. I dont think Will Smith was as athletic as cam coming out.

Edit will was pretty beastly

I just found out Brooks was a former MLB with the Bengals

I am stunned you would suggest such a thing Elias. Cam Jordan, from the moment he was drafted, was thought to be the prototype you look for as a 5 technique defensive end. He's about to finally play his natural position in my opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom