COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (4 Viewers)

It's an interesting study, but weirdly framed IMO.

For some reason, throughout the study itself and in the article, the effects they've observed are attributed entirely to 'Covid lockdowns'. But there doesn't appear to actually be any of the necessary work there (e.g. maybe a comparison to a similar demographic in a region that had significantly weaker or shorter lockdown measures showing a diminished effect?) to establish or support that. On the contrary, the group isn't diverse at all in that regard ("All study participants were selected from adolescents living in the same community, using identical exclusion criteria; all study participants experienced similar pandemic lockdown timelines").

And in the discussion section, they do actually partially acknowledge that limitation, and a bunch of others:

"First, the size of the sample measured here is small relative to several ongoing large-scale multisite studies of adolescent brain development, some of which collected data both before and after the pandemic. Future work should focus on replicating the effects of sex reported here on these larger cohorts using data collected before and after the pandemic. Second, it would be beneficial to have behavioral data that would allow characterization of specific lockdown-related stressors that might be correlated with brain structural findings. The current study did not collect such behavioral measures, nor did we collect data on families’ job security, financial insecurity, and/or food insecurity, which might also be associated with structural brain changes. Data on exercise, sleep, or diet, which have been reported to have been greatly affected by the pandemic lockdowns, would also be valuable. Third, it is not clear whether the effects observed in this study are specific to the age range of our sample. Our post-COVID-19 lockdown test sample consisted of children ranging from 12 to 16 y of age. It is unclear whether our findings extend to younger children or to young adults. And finally, we do not know whether contraction of the COVID-19 virus itself may have contributed to these findings, though in the community from which our study sample was derived, COVID-19 prevalence was widespread, and we have found no reports of a sex disparity in contraction of the virus."​

So, basically, they have an entire study that asserts the cause of their measured effects to "Covid lockdowns", and then, in the limitations section, they essentially say, "Although we didn't look at that many people, and we didn't look at their actual behaviour changes during the pandemic. And you know, it might have been down to family circumstances like financial insecurity, or disruption to exercise, sleep, or diet, which we also didn't look at. And there was also the whole virus thing itself, since contracting that might have contributed but we also don't know about that." There's also a flaw there; they assert that there's no "reports of a sex disparity in contraction of the virus", but that disregards the possibility of a sex disparity in the effects of contracting the virus.

And they also don't seem to consider at all the general effects in terms of stress of just living through a pandemic in itself. Like, millions of people dying, including quite possibly family members, it was a pretty stressful time. Could be a factor? Seems to be a glaring omission.

So the conclusion, that "lockdowns did it", seems flawed to me. The implication is that if they'd lived through a pandemic, but no measures had been taken whatsoever, there'd have been fine in this regard, even with the significantly greater sickness and death that would have come from that. Which, to me, seems like a bit of a stretch.
Thanks for the breakdown - so maybe this is something or maybe not

I'd assume that there would be more of difference of how it was handled between introvert vs extrovert more than by gender

Thanks for the breakdown - so maybe this is something or maybe not

I'd assume that there would be more of difference of how it was handled between introvert vs extrovert more than by gender
Yeah, I did think it was a little glib about the reasoning for the differences ("Kuhl believes the difference reflects girls’ greater dependence on social groups and interactions. “Girls chat endlessly and share their emotions,” she said.").

That said, I wouldn't just dismiss the psychological impact of lockdowns, as distinct from the psychological impacts of the pandemic in general, as a factor. And identifying the psychological impacts of lockdowns, including who might be more susceptible to them, in order that they can be potentially compensated for if needed for in the future would be a good thing to do. But it seems like that would be very hard to establish, as those factors are naturally hard to separate from everything else going on, and they don't, as far as I can see, appear to have built a strong case for it.

And I think to make that assertion they really should have to make a strong case for it, because there's also a risk here. There's been this very strong trend right from the start, to attribute, often without evidence, all kinds of harms to lockdowns (frequently while simultaneously dismissing the harms of the, you know, actual deadly pandemic). And this just doesn't seem to have stopped. For another example, there was this article, also in the Guardian, earlier this year that attributed 'children arriving at school who are still wearing nappies, whose communication abilities are limited, or who are still unable to use a knife and fork,' to children 'missing crucial experiences' 'during successive lockdowns'. The glaring flaw in that is the articles going back years complaining about the exact same thing (e.g. from Sky News in 2014; there's other examples going back decades).

The risk here is that this narrative seems to be established that attributes anything and, apparently, everything to 'lockdowns', and in the event of another pandemic where we might again need to use lockdowns in an initial period before vaccines are available, this narrative will delay or even stop the necessary measures being taken, which could cost lives. Potentially a lot of lives.

When there's already a trend of anti-health measures - opposition to lockdowns, to masks, to vaccination - feeding into it unnecessarily seems unwise.

VIENNA (AP) — A woman in Austria was found guilty of fatally infecting her neighbor with COVID-19 in 2021, her second pandemic-related conviction in a year, according to local media. A judge sentenced the 54-year-old on Thursday to four months’ suspended imprisonment and an 800-euro fine ($886.75) for grossly negligent homicide.

The victim, who was also a cancer patient, died of pneumonia that was caused by the coronavirus, according to Austrian news agency APA. A virological report showed that the virus DNA matched both the deceased and the 54-year-old woman, proving that the defendant “almost 100 percent” transmitted it, an expert told the court.

“I feel sorry for you personally -- I think that something like this has probably happened hundreds of times,” the judge said Thursday. “But you are unlucky that an expert has determined with almost absolute certainty that it was an infection that came from you.”….

VIENNA (AP) — A woman in Austria was found guilty of fatally infecting her neighbor with COVID-19 in 2021, her second pandemic-related conviction in a year, according to local media. A judge sentenced the 54-year-old on Thursday to four months’ suspended imprisonment and an 800-euro fine ($886.75) for grossly negligent homicide.

The victim, who was also a cancer patient, died of pneumonia that was caused by the coronavirus, according to Austrian news agency APA. A virological report showed that the virus DNA matched both the deceased and the 54-year-old woman, proving that the defendant “almost 100 percent” transmitted it, an expert told the court.

“I feel sorry for you personally -- I think that something like this has probably happened hundreds of times,” the judge said Thursday. “But you are unlucky that an expert has determined with almost absolute certainty that it was an infection that came from you.”….

4 months, suspended? And 800 bucks?!

4 months, suspended? And 800 bucks?!
this is what got me, from the article.

The woman’s doctor told police that the defendant had tested positive with a rapid test and told him that she “certainly won’t let herself be locked up” after the result.

She knowingly visited her neighbor who was undergoing chemo and had a suppressed immune system. She deserves
a few years in jail imo.

LONDON (AP) — Scientists searching for the origins of COVID-19 have zeroed in on a short list of animals that possibly helped spread it to people, an effort they hope could allow them to trace the outbreak back to its source.

Researchers analyzed genetic material gathered from the Chinese market where the first outbreak was detected and found that the most likely animals were racoon dogs, civet cats and bamboo rats.

The scientists suspect infected animals were first brought to the Wuhan market in late November 2019, which then triggered the pandemic.

Michael Worobey, one of the new study’s authors, said they found which sub-populations of animals might have transmitted the coronavirus to humans.

That may help researchers pinpoint where the virus commonly circulates in animals, known as its natural reservoir.

“For example, with the racoon dogs, we can show that the racoon dogs that were (at the market) … were from a sub-species that circulates more in southern parts of China,” said Worobey, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Arizona.

Knowing that might help researchers understand where those animals came from and where they were sold. Scientists might then start sampling bats in the area, which are known to be the natural reservoirs of related coronaviruses like SARS.

While the research bolsters the case that COVID-19 emerged from animals, it does not resolve the polarized and political debate over whether the virus instead emerged from a research lab in China.

Mark Woolhouse, a professor of infectious diseases at the University of Edinburgh, said the new genetic analysis suggested that the pandemic “had its evolutionary roots in the market” and that it was very unlikely COVID-19 was infecting people before it was identified at the Huanan market.

“It’s a significant finding and this does shift the dial more in favor of an animal origin,” Woolhouse, who was not connected to the research, said. “But it is not conclusive.”………

I'm sitting at the pharmacy waiting for the new covid and flu shots.

Friend of mine has covid today. 105.4 temperature. He died from covid a few years ago and had had long covid since recovering.

I'm sitting at the pharmacy waiting for the new covid and flu shots.

Friend of mine has covid today. 105.4 temperature. He died from covid a few years ago and had had long covid since recovering.
"almost" died?

"almost" died?
He wasn't breathing and his heart wasn't beating when they loaded him into the ambulance. They couldn't pronounce him as being officially dead but the not breathing and no heartbeat thing was a clue. They did whatever they did to revive him in the ambulance. He regained consciousness to his phone buzzing with an employer wanting answers about their contract. He explained the situation and directed him to me. He refused to deal with me and said that he'd wait. People hounded him night and day but wouldn't call me. 🤨

Today he was conducting business as usual. Hopefully, our secretary worked from home.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom