Cutting the cable, lets talk options and media setups (1 Viewer)

Hey Beerman

Hall-of-Famer
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Cable prices are through the roof. I've been feeling the squeeze for way too long and its time to do something.

I've been hesitant to cut it during football season, but now that all of the games I care about watching are over, I would like to have a discussion about what my options are for still gaining access to shows and sports without the heavily overpriced cable/sat bill.

For Christmas, I made an investment in an Xbone (mostly for my kids) but also figured that it would be the hub of my eventual cable-free streaming media paradise. But from there I'm at a loss for how the rest of the setup should work to gain access to things I will want to see (movies, MNF, DVR like recording TV shows, etc.)

My TV plugged into a Cox DVR box is overpriced and dated so its time to modernize with some help from my friends here. Let's talk new media centers and all the ways people are accessing their media content after cutting cable.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
So, pardon my laziness but I don't quite feel like reading through 53 pages to find the answer to this question...

My requirements are very simple. All I want to be able to do is watch every Saints and LSU football game without cable. The only reason I'm paying a cable bill is to watch those two teams play. I have Netflix so that's where I'll get my movie/show fix.

So what's the best option for me to be able to watch my two football teams play every game? Thanks in advance.
So on Reddit you can stream for free. What I do is during the season I get Hulu and get almost every single LSU game and all of the national Saints games. This year I streamed the non-national Saints games on a laptop. Previous to this year I bought a streaming subscription for Sunday Ticket for Saints games. There is also PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV, SlingTV that all offer pretty much anything you could want for streaming sports. The best thing about all of them is that you can stop paying for them at anytime and start them back up again at anytime.

GeauxSainz

Krewe of SaintsChat
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Netflix. A Prime. And Gears Reloaded for me. Works fine. Got a cheapie air hdtv antenna but only gets 3 channels reliably since I’m a bit from Nashville.

N.O.sinner

the big stick
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Where do you live? If you are in broadcast range you can see the Saints most every week that isnt on cable such as MNF with an antenna. Not sure about LSU.
I'm in Baton Rouge. I figured the non-cable games would be easy enough to catch with an antenna. My main concern was MNF games and the occasional NFL network games.
So on Reddit you can stream for free. What I do is during the season I get Hulu and get almost every single LSU game and all of the national Saints games. This year I streamed the non-national Saints games on a laptop. Previous to this year I bought a streaming subscription for Sunday Ticket for Saints games. There is also PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV, SlingTV that all offer pretty much anything you could want for streaming sports. The best thing about all of them is that you can stop paying for them at anytime and start them back up again at anytime.
I never thought about, or even heard about streaming games on reddit. Thank you and guidomerkinsrules for mentioning that. I'll definitely look into it. And I may look into PS VUE and get a streaming subscription as I do enjoy watching games on my TV vs my computer. And it looks like I'll be getting HULU for LSU games. Thanks for the info. I'm so excited to be done with cable!

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
I'm in Baton Rouge. I figured the non-cable games would be easy enough to catch with an antenna. My main concern was MNF games and the occasional NFL network games.

I never thought about, or even heard about streaming games on reddit. Thank you and guidomerkinsrules for mentioning that. I'll definitely look into it. And I may look into PS VUE and get a streaming subscription as I do enjoy watching games on my TV vs my computer. And it looks like I'll be getting HULU for LSU games. Thanks for the info. I'm so excited to be done with cable!
The drawback for HULU is no NFL Network. PS Vue and SlingTV both allow you to log into the WatchESPN app on devices to watch college games.

Soundwave

Terribly Vexed
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Missed most of this thread, but I just connected a couple of Roku Ultra's to my ethernet hardline in my house and dropped Cox Cable for DirectvNow (for a month) and now Playstation Vue, I am beyond thrilled.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom