Cutting the cable, lets talk options and media setups (3 Viewers)

What is their rationale for this "mobile restriction" anyway? I know when I had Sling I did'n't have to deal with this problem.
I assume its to keep you from giving people your login and password and letting your mom and dad and brothers and sisters and aunts and cousins use the service for free. kinda like how everyone does with Netflix.

Does anyone else notice a difference in sound level between Vue and Direct TV Now? On all my sets I have to increase the volume levels nearly 20% with Direct to match that of Vue.

So is PSVue generally considered the best live TV streaming option? It seems to have most of the channels that we watch (outside of Nick). Is there a way to get the Nick channels?

I'm trying to convince my family that we could move to streaming services without losing much, if anything, but they're concerned about the convenience of it. My wife typically just sets the DVR to record something and watches it later, so the PSVue DVR capability is attractive. Is the interface intuitive and/or easy to use?

My main concerns are live sports (Saints and soccer), channel availability and convenience.. But right now, I'm leaning towards buying a FireTV for the living room, a Fire Stick for the other rooms, an upgraded router and a step up on my internet package. I think I could save around $75 a month. We're already paying for Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Update.. Bought the latest Amazon Fire TV at Best Buy. Signed up for PSVue 5-day trial and got the wife testing it out. So far it seems pretty nice. I particularly like the guide set up with channels running across the top as columns, and favorite channels listed first.

Update: The training wheels are off.. Cable service cancelled..

I am glad there is finally a Kodi addon for Vue.
now I can have all my viewing on one app with Kodi. it's on the Cellardoor Tv build. I love it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

what do you run your kodi off of. Firestick, Smart TV, computer, or something else. I recently bought a firebox and everything runs so much faster. however, I use exodus on kodi and older movies ive been having issues with lately. However, the new movies are great.... even the ones still in the theater.

what do you run your kodi off of. Firestick, Smart TV, computer, or something else. I recently bought a firebox and everything runs so much faster. however, I use exodus on kodi and older movies ive been having issues with lately. However, the new movies are great.... even the ones still in the theater.

I don't know if it's been covered, but can you NFL on KODI? I'm looking at getting the Firebox. Did you have to set it up yourself or can you buy it already with what you want on it?

I have a 3 Firesticks, a Firetv, and an Android box.
TvAddonns, who supported Exodus is no longer up. if you installed it using Indigo or fusion repo you will not get any more updates for it. you will need to research a new repo to get exodus.
if you pm me, I'll give you a few options on it. not sure if we are allowed to discuss certain things on this board.
there are also more options than Exodus.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't know if it's been covered, but can you NFL on KODI? I'm looking at getting the Firebox. Did you have to set it up yourself or can you buy it already with what you want on it?

there are a few I have heard of people using.
grapevine is that you can use addons like Sportsdevil, Prosports, and Project D. Not that I would use these add-ons, but just saying.....

I believe they've recently stopped supporting Exodus. Google the Covenant add-on. I think it's the same people.

I'm going to be in the minority, especially in this thread. :hihi:

I've been on the cord-cutting search for quite some time. However, I've finally decided it's just not worth it (yet), unless you are skilled enough with XMBC, Kodi, and similar alternatives (which many here are). Otherwise I personally find I'm paying too much for less, with many hassles involved when things go down, systems need to be redone, etc. In other words, there's a value on my time too.

At a minimum, I know I have to have internet to stream (you can catch me on the tech board with other tips like that). Depending on where you are, decent internet is $40-$70. If you go Sling/Vue/Whatever, you're anywhere from $20-$40, with most of us around the upper range. Add in 2 or so of the services (HBO, Netflix, Hulu, Prime), and you've got another $20 or so a month.

Suddenly, on average, you're probably in around $110 or so with no DVR, possibly no live CBS, etc depending on your provider. What I've found is the simple HUCA method can get me there. Hang up, call again. I call Cox in my case, tell them I can't pay what they want, and just keep saying no, no, no. See how low they will go until basically the guy breaks down and says I just can't do anything more for you. If it's not good, I say no thanks. I've dropped my internet, full cable with sports add-on package, etc down to below $100 total, with DVR, etc. More for less than my other options to stream

Now, like I said, if you have Kodi and are proficient, by all means, go for it. That, to me, is the true savings. Because you are paying, essentially, just for internet. I've had an Android box. I just don't have the time right now to learn the repository things, etc. I bought one pre-loaded, but as things evolve, other things vanish, etc. It ends up more time consuming for me. It may be easy for bigdaddy right above me. But for little old Waymer, simple negotiations on my part is the easiest for now.

I'm going to be in the minority, especially in this thread. :hihi:

I've been on the cord-cutting search for quite some time. However, I've finally decided it's just not worth it (yet), unless you are skilled enough with XMBC, Kodi, and similar alternatives (which many here are). Otherwise I personally find I'm paying too much for less, with many hassles involved when things go down, systems need to be redone, etc. In other words, there's a value on my time too.

At a minimum, I know I have to have internet to stream (you can catch me on the tech board with other tips like that). Depending on where you are, decent internet is $40-$70. If you go Sling/Vue/Whatever, you're anywhere from $20-$40, with most of us around the upper range. Add in 2 or so of the services (HBO, Netflix, Hulu, Prime), and you've got another $20 or so a month.

Suddenly, on average, you're probably in around $110 or so with no DVR, possibly no live CBS, etc depending on your provider. What I've found is the simple HUCA method can get me there. Hang up, call again. I call Cox in my case, tell them I can't pay what they want, and just keep saying no, no, no. See how low they will go until basically the guy breaks down and says I just can't do anything more for you. If it's not good, I say no thanks. I've dropped my internet, full cable with sports add-on package, etc down to below $100 total, with DVR, etc. More for less than my other options to stream

Now, like I said, if you have Kodi and are proficient, by all means, go for it. That, to me, is the true savings. Because you are paying, essentially, just for internet. I've had an Android box. I just don't have the time right now to learn the repository things, etc. I bought one pre-loaded, but as things evolve, other things vanish, etc. It ends up more time consuming for me. It may be easy for bigdaddy right above me. But for little old Waymer, simple negotiations on my part is the easiest for now.

Well the theory is that you would be paying for internet anyway, so that cost is wash (or is at least mitigated, depending on tiers).

With that said, I'm in the same boat. My wife has no interest in figuring out the streaming options and is already frustrated with the way the TV is set up (components in an audio closet, phone controlled, etc), so DTV and HUCA it is. But it works for me.

when I first starting using Kodi about a year ago, I was just adding the stand alone add-ons. but now that I have discovered all the builds out there, it makes Kodi so much better. of course, my wife gets aggravated with me now because I keep changing the build and she says every time she wants to watch TV, its different.
But currently I'm using Cellardoor/Infusion build. I customized it so much, now I don't want to change it because I spent so much time with the customization.

when I first starting using Kodi about a year ago, I was just adding the stand alone add-ons. but now that I have discovered all the builds out there, it makes Kodi so much better. of course, my wife gets aggravated with me now because I keep changing the build and she says every time she wants to watch TV, its different.
But currently I'm using Cellardoor/Infusion build. I customized it so much, now I don't want to change it because I spent so much time with the customization.

And that's how I was. I've had a few different builds. At some point I'll get back into it and do it again. Of course, one day I still hold out hope that the cable companies will be forced to do skinny bundles, etc. We'll see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom