Cutting the cable, lets talk options and media setups (1 Viewer)

Hey Beerman

Hall-of-Famer
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Cable prices are through the roof. I've been feeling the squeeze for way too long and its time to do something.

I've been hesitant to cut it during football season, but now that all of the games I care about watching are over, I would like to have a discussion about what my options are for still gaining access to shows and sports without the heavily overpriced cable/sat bill.

For Christmas, I made an investment in an Xbone (mostly for my kids) but also figured that it would be the hub of my eventual cable-free streaming media paradise. But from there I'm at a loss for how the rest of the setup should work to gain access to things I will want to see (movies, MNF, DVR like recording TV shows, etc.)

My TV plugged into a Cox DVR box is overpriced and dated so its time to modernize with some help from my friends here. Let's talk new media centers and all the ways people are accessing their media content after cutting cable.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
Damn you, Mouse...

Disney is parting ways with Netflix.

The company said Tuesday that it will end its partnership with the streaming service in 2019.

Disney also announced it will launch its own streaming services, and plans to acquire a majority stake in BAMTech, a major streaming and marketing service.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/08/media/disney-netflix/index.html

I wonder how long before they pull the Marvel shows off of there...?

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I'm streaming only now. Slingtv, youtube, and netflix give me everything I need, and I'm considering cancelling Slingtv. We just don't watch it very much.

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I still expect Disney to buy Netflix in the next year or two.

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score
I see COX is offering a deal now for $39.99 a month for 1 year, and it includes a premium movie channel of your choice.

Redfish

© Geaux Saints!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
2 months now and my cable cutting envelope has a nice $120 stuffed in it :hihi:

Brees4prez

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
The cable companies are finally starting to come down on their prices. I just wish they would quit with the one year deals. Just make it a flat rate and quit raising prices on people who pay you on time every month. Like i'm too lazy to just go to the next company with their "introductory" offer. I'm now getting direct tv with 4 DVRs and 50 Gig internet for same price as just the 50 GB internet with another company. It was nice to cut the cord for awhile but really not losing any money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score
The cable companies are finally starting to come down on their prices. I just wish they would quit with the one year deals. Just make it a flat rate and quit raising prices on people who pay you on time every month. Like i'm too lazy to just go to the next company with their "introductory" offer. I'm now getting direct tv with 4 DVRs and 50 Gig internet for same price as just the 50 GB internet with another company. It was nice to cut the cord for awhile but really not losing any money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cancel them. Two weeks later they will offer you another deal. I do agree to much of a headache going through of that. Stick with cord cutting.

vdubee

Who Dat??
Reaction score
Just an FYI to CBS All Access subscribers in the Lafayette area! I can now see KLFY on the iphone app and sling it to my Nvidia shield. The strange thing is that the app on my Shield still says the local channel is not available. Also, it's kinda strange what it plays on the app. For example, it played the KLFY news then would not stream Wheel of Fortune but then allowed me to stream NCIS. I'm assuming you can only stream CBS content and not "syndicated" shows?. Hope this helps someone!

rajncajn

Lurker Extrodinaire
Reaction score
I finally cut my cable and set up Covenant on Kodi as well. I thought I was in with the hip crowd now until I came to post this and see that you all are already speaking a new form of Greek. :(

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Just an FYI to CBS All Access subscribers in the Lafayette area! I can now see KLFY on the iphone app and sling it to my Nvidia shield. The strange thing is that the app on my Shield still says the local channel is not available. Also, it's kinda strange what it plays on the app. For example, it played the KLFY news then would not stream Wheel of Fortune but then allowed me to stream NCIS. I'm assuming you can only stream CBS content and not "syndicated" shows?. Hope this helps someone!
Or you you can just get an antenna at walmart for under $20 and switch from HDMI to TV on your TV remote.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
I refuse... REFUSE... to pay for CBS All Access and it would be the same case if NBC, FOX, or ABC did the same thing. It just won't happen.

vdubee

Who Dat??
Reaction score
Or you you can just get an antenna at walmart for under $20 and switch from HDMI to TV on your TV remote.
I agree but I already have. CBS, amazingly enough, is the one channel that has poor reception. Also, the wife has to have Big Brother so it is what it is.:idunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom