Cutting the cable, lets talk options and media setups (1 Viewer)

Hey Beerman

Hall-of-Famer
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Cable prices are through the roof. I've been feeling the squeeze for way too long and its time to do something.

I've been hesitant to cut it during football season, but now that all of the games I care about watching are over, I would like to have a discussion about what my options are for still gaining access to shows and sports without the heavily overpriced cable/sat bill.

For Christmas, I made an investment in an Xbone (mostly for my kids) but also figured that it would be the hub of my eventual cable-free streaming media paradise. But from there I'm at a loss for how the rest of the setup should work to gain access to things I will want to see (movies, MNF, DVR like recording TV shows, etc.)

My TV plugged into a Cox DVR box is overpriced and dated so its time to modernize with some help from my friends here. Let's talk new media centers and all the ways people are accessing their media content after cutting cable.

vdubee

Who Dat??
Reaction score
I refuse... REFUSE... to pay for CBS All Access and it would be the same case if NBC, FOX, or ABC did the same thing. It just won't happen.
I totally understand. Hopefully as some of these streaming services get more content, we can get rid of CBS All Access but the wife has to have it right now.

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I agree but I already have. CBS, amazingly enough, is the one channel that has poor reception. Also, the wife has to have Big Brother so it is what it is.:idunno:
Yea, I have hold the damn antenna old school little brother style to get CBS to come through.

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score
I agree but I already have. CBS, amazingly enough, is the one channel that has poor reception. Also, the wife has to have Big Brother so it is what it is.:idunno:
Sounds like you have some interference.You may need to get an antenna amplifier. That may solve the problem. WWL TV(CBS NOLA) generally has a pretty strong signal.

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you have some interference.You may need to get an antenna amplifier. That may solve the problem. WWL TV(CBS NOLA) generally has a pretty strong signal.
KLFY is in Lafayette, we are in Lafayette Parish. KLFY's signal shouldn't be so weak within 15 miles right?

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score

vdubee

Who Dat??
Reaction score

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
I'm in Zachary just north of BR with a Mohu 50 and get poor reception on CBS. Plenty of times, I'll just watch the WAFB broadcast on Vue if it's that important.

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if CBS uses Youtube.
My only concern is when the Saints play on CBS. Other than that I don't watch regular tv besides what is put on Hulu and netflix. I'll be holding the antenna for those games..

vdubee

Who Dat??
Reaction score
I'm in Zachary just north of BR with a Mohu 50 and get poor reception on CBS. Plenty of times, I'll just watch the WAFB broadcast on Vue if it's that important.
Nice! Being that I am in Lafayette, we are not in a "market" to get our local CBS on Vue, yet. Do they stream NFL games on the CBS channel in Vue?

vdubee

Who Dat??
Reaction score
My only concern is when the Saints play on CBS. Other than that I don't watch regular tv besides what is put on Hulu and netflix. I'll be holding the antenna for those games..
kc, I think you would be ok with a Mohu 50 antenna in Lafayette to watch them on CBS as long as the weather is nice. Like I said, when the weather is nice, CBS usually comes in pretty good. Any cloudiness or rain though, it becomes sketchy.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
Nice! Being that I am in Lafayette, we are not in a "market" to get our local CBS on Vue, yet. Do they stream NFL games on the CBS channel in Vue?
Not sure. We got access after the football season and I never really cared to check because when the CBS game included the Saints I was in the Dome watching.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
Confirmed today... Nope. Can't watch the game via streaming on Vue.

Beast

Former Camp Beast
Reaction score
I need some help / ideas on how to handle this..

We recently moved. My Mohu Leaf 50 used to pick up all of the local stations (WLOX, WXXV, PBS) at the old house (4 miles away by Google Maps) but possibly less as the crow flies. At the new house, I can get WLOX and PBS clearly, but not WXXV, even though tvfool.com shows it within the green (although looking now on tvfool, I'm not seeing either station?). Both stations are essentially due north, and I have my Leaf high in the north facing window.

This is frustrating me b/c I'd like to watch the Saints games on WXXV's Fox channel.

I've thought about swapping to an outside or attic antenna, but this is an older two story house with a vaulted ceiling in the living room. Both attic spaces are cramped to say the least.

If I do an outdoor antenna, I'd like to hook into the pre-existing splitter at the cable box (currently serving internet throughout the house). But then I'd need a dedicated internet drop on the other side of the house.

So I'm looking for any ideas or suggestions for how best to solve this issue. Anyone dealt with something like this?

Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom