Cutting the cable, lets talk options and media setups (1 Viewer)

Hey Beerman

Hall-of-Famer
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Cable prices are through the roof. I've been feeling the squeeze for way too long and its time to do something.

I've been hesitant to cut it during football season, but now that all of the games I care about watching are over, I would like to have a discussion about what my options are for still gaining access to shows and sports without the heavily overpriced cable/sat bill.

For Christmas, I made an investment in an Xbone (mostly for my kids) but also figured that it would be the hub of my eventual cable-free streaming media paradise. But from there I'm at a loss for how the rest of the setup should work to gain access to things I will want to see (movies, MNF, DVR like recording TV shows, etc.)

My TV plugged into a Cox DVR box is overpriced and dated so its time to modernize with some help from my friends here. Let's talk new media centers and all the ways people are accessing their media content after cutting cable.

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with a hacked Amazon fire stick? A buddy dropped by with one the other day and it gives you all the TV/movie options for free, with a few extras. Any pros/cons?

Charlie Brizzown

Fishing fool
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with a hacked Amazon fire stick? A buddy dropped by with one the other day and it gives you all the TV/movie options for free, with a few extras. Any pros/cons?
The Firesticks are running software called Kodi. Kodi is a media center like software that lets you customize a lot of things ... including where your video content is sourced from. You can install Kodi on basically any compute device (PC, laptop, etc).

How to Install KODI on Amazon Fire TV / Stick

Dave

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
After looking at the link T.P. provided, I decided to check out those options.
https://www.suppose.tv/tv?m=50&f=1l50l113!114!359!360!2!12!419!395!194!93!237!73!149!122!118!115!123!392l250l50l1l0lll1&r=Hynk0U50W

I am doing the trial for Youtube TV and Philo.
I think its pretty good, but the live guide is not as good as I had hoped it would be.
Using a Roku streaming stick.
I recently canceled Dish Network and switched to YouTube TV and Philo. I have every channel I need and it's only $56 for both. The guide works great for me on Youtube TV, but I'm using the Roku Ultra. I did the trial for Direct Tv Now, but I didn't like the setup and the limited DVR.

Brees4prez

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently canceled Dish Network and switched to YouTube TV and Philo. I have every channel I need and it's only $56 for both. The guide works great for me on Youtube TV, but I'm using the Roku Ultra. I did the trial for Direct Tv Now, but I didn't like the setup and the limited DVR.
Youtube TV is awesome. Just wish they had it on firestick or fire tv. That’s a deal breaker for me.

Dave

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Youtube TV is awesome. Just wish they had it on firestick or fire tv. That’s a deal breaker for me.
In my opinion, YouTube TV is definitely worth upgrading to a Roku player especially the Ultra.

saintfan-n-alex

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score

I have bought 2 of these, one for me and one for my dad.
I live in Gonzales and he lives in Maurepas (Livingston Parish)
I pick up 24 local Baton Rouge Channels.
My dad picks up 30 Local Channels, some from Baton Rouge, Some from New Orleans, since he lives halfway between the 2.
It comes with the Antenna and Signal Amplifier.
It does not come with pole, so you would have to supply your own.
I highly recommend it, especially for the price. I have had mine for 2 years now and its held up. Its not heavy duty, mostly plastic, but works great.

Edit: I have both installed up pretty high, 20 - 30 foot up, so just putting it outside your window or below your house level, you may not get a very good signal.

i have 2 of these, one in the attic connected to one tv, i mounted another on a tripod atop roof which has it 5 ft above the roof - i get the same channels on both though the one on the roof will occasionally pickup a few more stations on some days if i re-scan - the "quality" of the stations content wise of those stations doesnt make it worth the extra scan

i had one go out (wouldn't turn and the "boost" didn't work the LED on the antenna wouldn't light")

i do have a 2 story apt complex between my house and the direction of the sources im aiming

i have a friend a few miles away, he does not have any obstruction, his is about 12 feet above the roof line - he picks up , depending on conditions, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette and occasionally Houston

the one thing we have questioned about the design of these thinks it the face all metal components attach to plastic frame and would seem to not have any affect on the operation

but overall works great especially for the price -

Maxp

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If you hook up your HD antenna to the splitter that runs to every room in the house, such as the one DirecTV used to be attached too, you only need one antenna.

teddyz

Veteran
Reaction score
I just moved to Biloxi about a year ago. I would like some help. I want to pickup the New Orleans stations. Can someone tell me an Indoor Antenna I could use to pick them up. Also an outdoor antenna as well. So I have some options. Thanks

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Reaction score
I recently picked up a HDHomerun unit and connected a powered antenna to it. I live in Laplace and I pulled in 33 total channels. I installed the HDHomerun app on all my firesticks in my house (7) and can now watch my locals on all my TV's with one antenna. We can even watch 4 different channels at the same time. Couple that with Mobdro and Kodi and I watch whatever I want for the cost of internet only.

T.P.

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I hope this a clear explanation of what I am trying to say. I tried to explain this to someone and they got all confused.
The short of it is PATIENCE..

I go right to the sources and use APKs like Mabdro, TV Tap and Live Net TV for free live TV.
Since these APKs are free you are relying on an individual to stream a channel (ie. NFL Channel). This is where patience comes into play. The streamer could decide not to stream NFL channel but stream the NHL channel or their connection could be lost and they do not know about the issue. If you have multiple APKs this might not be a problem. My point is that you are at the mercy of someone who could be a doink.
My suggestion is to get on youtube and search Mabdro or APKs. There are plenty of step by step videos explaining installation.

Surviving Saint

NFL Fan
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Use Tuff Gear TV. $20 a month and you get every channel you want in North America and UK. I installed it on my fire TV and it works flawlessly in HD. I have every channel DTV offers and more. Every channel works and there is no buffering.

N.O.sinner

the big stick
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, pardon my laziness but I don't quite feel like reading through 53 pages to find the answer to this question...

My requirements are very simple. All I want to be able to do is watch every Saints and LSU football game without cable. The only reason I'm paying a cable bill is to watch those two teams play. I have Netflix so that's where I'll get my movie/show fix.

So what's the best option for me to be able to watch my two football teams play every game? Thanks in advance.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, pardon my laziness but I don't quite feel like reading through 53 pages to find the answer to this question...

My requirements are very simple. All I want to be able to do is watch every Saints and LSU football game without cable. The only reason I'm paying a cable bill is to watch those two teams play. I have Netflix so that's where I'll get my movie/show fix.

So what's the best option for me to be able to watch my two football teams play every game? Thanks in advance.
Reddit cfb & nfl streams

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom