Cutting the cable, lets talk options and media setups (2 Viewers)

So does this new cap apply to people who have a bundle package (internet and cable)?

I had thought Cox was doing this already. a few months ago, a friend told me he hit his 1TB cap and had to bump up to the highest speed package. I hadn't realized there was a cap. so I log onto my cox account, and bam, there is a tab that shows my usage, but I haven't come close to hitting the cap.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My thoughts (apropos of nothing in particular):

It's been coming for a while. The higher speed you subscribe to, the higher your cap. With everyone cutting the cable and going to streaming, it was kind of inevitable.

Presumably, the highest speed would have a somewhat unreachable cap, although I know there are some consumers of data here that will blow away any limits that might be around.

Personally, I have a fairly high tier of Cox services (I get about 150Mb) and I didn't get the email or a letter, but I also go nowhere near my caps (still stream a good bit, but also have DTV).

There's obviously a money-grab component here to compensate for those trading cable tv for internet service, but by the same token, it's reasonable to hold those accountable for their higher bandwidth usage and associated strain on the system. However, I do think with the prevalence of the internet and the ridiculous lobbying of those providers, that ISPs should be regulated like a utility. It's hard to argue that access to the internet isn't a basic requirement of society these days, at the very least equivalent to phone service when it became a utility.

I found this from Cox. It is there calculator. Kind of useful

Data Usage Calculator | Cox Communications

I just started Sling tv, and I pay $25/month for about 30 channels, but it's much better than the $80+ I was paying DTV.

Yes, it's related to whatever tier of internet you subscribe to.

Exactly. The only ones who get more are those who subscribe to Gigablast.

I just started Sling tv, and I pay $25/month for about 30 channels, but it's much better than the $80+ I was paying DTV.

Welcome to the Sling Club!
I got the orange plan. $19.99. Got just the channels I watch. ESPN,ESPN2,HGTV,Food,TNT,AMC, TBS,A&E,IFC,CNN and a few others.

I heard them saying on the WWL radio news this morning that Cox said their cap is going to be a TB/month and that 95% of their customers never reach that amount.

Is this totally false? I would be switching to them if the TB/month is true.

I have Uverse right now packaged with Directv but was planning on switching to Cox and Slingtv in the next month or two. I'm going to lose my uncapped Uverse when I cancel Directv so planned to go to Cox, but if the cap is going to be just as low as Uverse, why would I bother switching?

I heard them saying on the WWL radio news this morning that Cox said their cap is going to be a TB/month and that 95% of their customers never reach that amount.

Is this totally false? I would be switching to them if the TB/month is true.

I have Uverse right now packaged with Directv but was planning on switching to Cox and Slingtv in the next month or two. I'm going to lose my uncapped Uverse when I cancel Directv so planned to go to Cox, but if the cap is going to be just as low as Uverse, why would I bother switching?

The 1TB limit is true unless you get the Gigablast service added. At that point, your cap is 2TB.

My thoughts (apropos of nothing in particular):

It's been coming for a while. The higher speed you subscribe to, the higher your cap. With everyone cutting the cable and going to streaming, it was kind of inevitable.

Presumably, the highest speed would have a somewhat unreachable cap, although I know there are some consumers of data here that will blow away any limits that might be around.

Personally, I have a fairly high tier of Cox services (I get about 150Mb) and I didn't get the email or a letter, but I also go nowhere near my caps (still stream a good bit, but also have DTV).

There's obviously a money-grab component here to compensate for those trading cable tv for internet service, but by the same token, it's reasonable to hold those accountable for their higher bandwidth usage and associated strain on the system. However, I do think with the prevalence of the internet and the ridiculous lobbying of those providers, that ISPs should be regulated like a utility. It's hard to argue that access to the internet isn't a basic requirement of society these days, at the very least equivalent to phone service when it became a utility.

Well with everything going 4K in a couple of years that GB usage could be hitting that $10 fine with some people. Seems like the cable industry is saying fine want to cancel us and our ugly boxes and go to streaming then we will find another way to make money off of you. Just my thought.

Well with everything going 4K in a couple of years that GB usage could be hitting that $10 fine with some people. Seems like the cable industry is saying fine want to cancel us and our ugly boxes and go to streaming then we will find another way to make money off of you. Just my thought.
I used to install for Cox in Pensacola/Fort Walton. I had an install within the last year where the customer was reinstalling all of his cable boxes after having gone down to internet only. He went back to cable because he said that it was costing him more money to stream PSVue in all rooms than it was to have a cable box in every room.

It's all ********.

I used to install for Cox in Pensacola/Fort Walton. I had an install within the last year where the customer was reinstalling all of his cable boxes after having gone down to internet only. He went back to cable because he said that it was costing him more money to stream PSVue in all rooms than it was to have a cable box in every room.

It's all ********.

For a family I can see where that can get expensive but for a single person living in an apartment Sling TV at 19.99 a month makes sense. Question if he went back to cable did he cancel internet? Those bundle deals cable& att only last for like a year then you get a nice surprise of $180+ per month. Not to mention the cost of renting those boxes and additional fees.

My internet is down. Only COX. Down in all of Orleans &Jefferson and they are saying nothing is wrong. Had to go to my phone through LTE.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom