DA is remaining the coach, confirmed by Underhill (3 Viewers)

I understand we are all frustrated but I think it’s easy to downplay the accomplishments when things aren’t going well. Like others have said, there was a strong consensus of support for Loomis until this season.
Completely understand what you are saying. In my defense I've never been that big of a fan of the job he has done. I hate the trading of draft picks and the signing of kick-the-can-down-the-road-contracts...

But they were winning with it so I try to keep my mouth shut as much as possible. All of that crap finally caught up with us. If you gave me the choice of Allen gone or Loomis gone I'd probably pick the latter. Personally, I'm in the "if you can't find someone better you probably shouldn't be here" camp.

I'm guessing I would have been excited for a change if Allen was gone, but I can't say it was a bad decision to keep him around and see what happens with a healthy team. I need a change at OC and I need some kind of serious plan to fix the QB position. If we are in this same position this time next year it is going to be undefendable.

Completely understand what you are saying. In my defense I've never been that big of a fan of the job he has done. I hate the trading of draft picks and the signing of kick-the-can-down-the-road-contracts...

But they were winning with it so I try to keep my mouth shut as much as possible. All of that crap finally caught up with us. If you gave me the choice of Allen gone or Loomis gone I'd probably pick the latter. Personally, I'm in the "if you can't find someone better you probably shouldn't be here" camp.

I'm guessing I would have been excited for a change if Allen was gone, but I can't say it was a bad decision to keep him around and see what happens with a healthy team. I need a change at OC and I need some kind of serious plan to fix the QB position. If we are in this same position this time next year it is going to be undefendable.

I see it differently but I think that's a reasonable take.

I agree there's a lot of risk to the approach that Loomis has taken but the results were a team that got within a bad call from playing in a second Super Bowl and kept the team competitive through the end of Drew's career. Stings when you don't get the payoff you were hoping for, but I can appreciate the effort. I've also had the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that a lot of what transpired was at the direction of Payton, and now Allen, and Loomis is primarily the one to try and deliver.

I do think they have to work towards restoring some balance and it sounds like that's something they are focusing on, but I won't blame him for trying and I appreciate an ownership that has been willing to go all-in.

I've also had the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that a lot of what transpired was at the direction of Payton, and now Allen, and Loomis is primarily the one to try and deliver.
I think there is a pretty good chance that is exactly what happened. I guess we will eventually know. In fairness I should have added a disclaimer to my post. I'm REALLY not a fan of canning any coach after one year unless it devolves into an Urban Meyer/Jacksonville type of situation. I CAN see that Allen's time with the Raiders might have been the result of a crappy organization and then this year with all the injuries might have been the perfect storm for making him look worse than he actually is. Problem is, we have tons of guys on this site who want him gone and are quick to trot out his actual won/loss record. Those numbers are hard to discount.

My history on this site has been pretty obvious since 1999. A big fault of mine has been giving the HC a benefit of the doubt for just a little too long. That is one of the things that worry me about Allen. I just see too much stuff to let them slide. How he handled the QB situation this year was atrocious. How they game planned Kamara was atrocious. The game plan for Hill was mostly a waste of talent. I'm nervous as hell about this head coach until he proves my suspicions wrong for 2-3 years in a row. Not my happy place.

I think there is a pretty good chance that is exactly what happened. I guess we will eventually know. In fairness I should have added a disclaimer to my post. I'm REALLY not a fan of canning any coach after one year unless it devolves into an Urban Meyer/Jacksonville type of situation. I CAN see that Allen's time with the Raiders might have been the result of a crappy organization and then this year with all the injuries might have been the perfect storm for making him look worse than he actually is. Problem is, we have tons of guys on this site who want him gone and are quick to trot out his actual won/loss record. Those numbers are hard to discount.

My history on this site has been pretty obvious since 1999. A big fault of mine has been giving the HC a benefit of the doubt for just a little too long. That is one of the things that worry me about Allen. I just see too much stuff to let them slide. How he handled the QB situation this year was atrocious. How they game planned Kamara was atrocious. The game plan for Hill was mostly a waste of talent. I'm nervous as hell about this head coach until he proves my suspicions wrong for 2-3 years in a row. Not my happy place.

I agree with all of that.

The thing with the Raiders is, going back to 1990, they've had a total of 7 seasons with double digit wins. In those 33 seasons, they've made the playoffs 8 times. Only Gruden and Shell had multiple playoff seasons - 2 and 3 respectively. Nobody else has had anything resembling sustained success, or any real success at all. Gruden and Shell each had a season where they only won 4 games. It can't be overstated how bad that franchise has been since last winning a Super Bowl in 1983.

So Allen, like a long list of other coaches, ended up failing there. That matters, but I think it matters in context. The "terrible" former Raiders coach won 7 games in his first season in his next head coaching stint, almost doubling his Raiders win total. Hey, a lot of it was still ugly - and I wouldn't have been upset if the Saints had decided to move on - but he's getting another season, so might as well hope for the best.

His Raiders stint troubles me a lot less than his overly conservative in-game decision-making and personnel management. If that doesn't improve significantly, his time as an NFL head coach, and any future hopes of being an NFL head coach, will come to another quick end.

I wouldn't have been upset if the Saints had decided to move on - but he's getting another season, so might as well hope for the best.
Agree with everything you wrote. I wouldn't even say that you need to necessarily hope for the best. I think it will play out and next year we probably know how good of a coach he is unless we have another year of ridiculous injuries. Firing him this year there would still be some doubt and I suspect that is what Loomis and Mrs. Benson are thinking.

I know a lot of people on here think they don't have any doubt about how bad he is, but there are enough circumstances that it makes me question if I know how good he really is.

Terrible news. The following season will also be wasted. At the very least, I hope they manage the salary cap by avoiding signing large contracts and cutting or trading your large contracts.

[PRESS THE REST BUTTON].

Answers: two of our top 4 players were injured most if not all of the season, our superstar RB wasn’t good, and we have a bottom 10 QB situation. Any other questions?

And the year before, we had Trevor Simien, Jameis Winston, Ian Book and Taysom HIll. Kamara missed 4 games. THomas missed 17. We had more starters due to injury that any other team in NFL history. We played a home game in Jacksonville, practiced in texas, went though a major hurricane, lost coaches to covid and on and on and on. We still had a winning record, which would have been good enough to win the division this year.

The excuses in 2021 far outweigh whatever excuses you have in 2022. The difference is, we found way to win more that we lost in 2021 despite excuses. In 2022, they were just excuses.

Keep supporting failure with excuses though. Let us know when you think Captain .283 isnt the right guy anymore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom