Earth (1 Viewer)

Today I saw a whole fleet of stories about the Michipicoten. That name is aparenty pronounced as Mich-i-pecan.

Here's another TV station's report:

I don't think I've ever seen a more battered in ship, beaten in by the docks the ship has been tied up to over many years. Almost all of the side strakes of the hull have been beaten into the frames which support them. The old vessel is 72 years old. It's long past the time for that ship to be scrapped.

At a glance from the photos my guess is whe has a broken back now, and as soon as they get the Iron Ore unloaded, she'll likely be off to a ship breakers to become iron bits for the steel mill melt furnaces herself.

I don't understand why they were concerned that she might spill her cargo into the lake. She's carrying small rocks, ordinary taconite gravel. Rocks not unlike like some of the ones I have scattered out in my yard.

Our taconite is black, and are such dense with iron rocks that they have a heft similar to cast iron. It's a surprising dense heavy gravel, but it is gravel, simply dug from the side of a mountain.

It wouldn't be the end of the Earth if some of those rocks got dumped on the bottom of the lake.

I'm happy to read that she didn't kill anyone during her years, or spill any fuel oil into the water yesterday when she broke her back and died.

Fair warning to the owners, If after this they do try to fix her up again, I'm going to dub her as the MV Tetanus. She's got rust holding together her rust.

Maybe the ship isn't really carrying taconite?

Maybe the ship isn't really carrying taconite?
It left Two Harbors Minnesota on its last voyage. The only thing ship wise going on there is loading iron ore onto ships. The ore arrives by rail from a nearby mine.

So it about has to be carrying taconite.

I’ve seen many like her tied up in ports all around the Indian Ocean. Just looking at them makes you want a tetanus shot.
India is where old rusty ships go to die.

After about three days of news nonsense I finally see a report which has evolved the narrative to the point now that I can clearly see that they are now talking to some people who know something about the topic.

That ship broke it's back rolling in a relatively calm seaway. It was the time for it to happen that's all. A less aged vessel wouldn't have experienced a "problem" on that nice day.

India is where old rusty ships go to die.

After about three days of news nonsense I finally see a report which has evolved the narrative to the point now that I can clearly see that they are now talking to some people who know something about the topic.

That ship broke it's back rolling in a relatively calm seaway. It was the time for it to happen that's all. A less aged vessel wouldn't have experienced a "problem" on that nice day.

India, Pakistan, Djibouti, Somalia, Yemen, Kenya, etc and so on. Of course, this was in late 80’s early 90’s.

I wanted a place to put this where I can find it later. I didn't know that Beth Pratt had captured a mountain lion on one of her trail cams. This sighting is dated 7/22/2021, at last light before complete darkness.

When this happened three years ago I was unaware that there was a lion moving though the area. We don't see lions very often.

The reason I might want to find it later would be that I might see this lion at my house. I would want to know if it was the same lion if I did see one. That trail cam is about a quarter mile west of my house. My experience is that critters who were here, quite often come back through the area later.

I wanted a place to put this where I can find it later. I didn't know that Beth Pratt had captured a mountain lion on one of her trail cams. This sighting is dated 7/22/2021, at last light before complete darkness.

When this happened three years ago I was unaware that there was a lion moving though the area. We don't see lions very often.

The reason I might want to find it later would be that I might see this lion at my house. I would want to know if it was the same lion if I did see one. That trail cam is about a quarter mile west of my house. My experience is that critters who were here, quite often come back through the area later.

There’s a National Cougar Day? Well, well, well…..

There’s a National Cougar Day? Well, well, well…..
Yeah, it's my down the road neighbor Beth's national personal day.

As a national Cougar she's quite the celebrity. She was even on Face the Nation TV show as our national Cougar a couple weeks or a month ago.

She was with our California State Governor recently for a photo as well. I think she's even been in the white house as our national Cougar.

I think she's been the naturalist political activist extraordinaire, the ram rod that got the Annenberg wildlife crossing into the works, and that project is nearing completion.

"The project costs around $90 million, with funding from private donations covering about 60% and the rest coming from public funds set aside for conservation purposes."

So yeah, my neighbor Beth is an extraordinaire, and not only that she is my neighborhood Cougar.

Keeps Cougars in her yard, and can prove it. Which I'm quite willing to have my yard a 1/4 mile down the road as well.

An inventive helpful dog building a bridge.

I had to invent something new for my weed mowers, the climate has changed, it's no longer the way it was. The last two days I've been busing designing and equipping my mowers with a fire suppression system before I start mowing the tall weeds again.

To switch from mowing weeds in the tall dry grass, to fighting a fire for a few moments before abandoning the mower and running I now have a fire extinguisher bolted to the handle bar, with a tube leading down and through the mower deck such that it blows the white powder under the mower, traps that CO2 and holds it there until the mower is moved again.

One using it will shut off the engine and then push the mower over the grass on fire and trigger a small puff of the white powder and keep moving, puff, moving, puff ... . But when one runs out of the white power, then one abandons the mower and runs for their life. - Calls in the fire on the phone. - That would be a really bad bad day.

Two days ago I almost had that bad day. There was a smoldering spot, almost ready to flair up into a monster, I smelled it, saw it, stomped it out with my feet. Got real lucky, but now I have used that luck up.

So I had to do something more than just trusting on good luck and happy feet.

An inventive helpful dog building a bridge.

I had to invent something new for my weed mowers, the climate has changed, it's no longer the way it was. The last two days I've been busing designing and equipping my mowers with a fire suppression system before I start mowing the tall weeds again.

To switch from mowing weeds in the tall dry grass, to fighting a fire for a few moments before abandoning the mower and running I now have a fire extinguisher bolted to the handle bar, with a tube leading down and through the mower deck such that it blows the white powder under the mower, traps that CO2 and holds it there until the mower is moved again.

One using it will shut off the engine and then push the mower over the grass on fire and trigger a small puff of the white powder and keep moving, puff, moving, puff ... . But when one runs out of the white power, then one abandons the mower and runs for their life. - Calls in the fire on the phone. - That would be a really bad bad day.

Two days ago I almost had that bad day. There was a smoldering spot, almost ready to flair up into a monster, I smelled it, saw it, stomped it out with my feet. Got real lucky, but now I have used that luck up.

So I had to do something more than just trusting on good luck and happy feet.

Get some snowshoes, cover them with asbestos tarp and go to town!

Get some snowshoes, cover them with asbestos tarp and go to town!
I got the asbestos, don't have the snowshoes.

I've got lots of asbestos rocks, and from the rocks I also have asbestos dust in my yard, already have that, asbestos grows natural like up here in the hills, from the rocks as they grow older, they age, crumble into dust.

I'll use that string on sentence above for the left foot, and this one right here for the right foot, to weave the webbing for the snowshoes you know, ought to be pretty good fiber to twist into string, to then wever into the web.

Now to find some hickory, or something kind of like hickory, I think I know where there's a seasoned board of hickory like wood for making the frames, I'll use this string on sentence for the string to tie them both to my feet, after I twist it into more string.

Sometimes one in the hills has to make their own stuff, if they want stuff anyway. I don't like all this climate change. I had everything well in order before this climate change.

Went fishing yesterday in bayou gauche, south boutte near New Orleans. Had a really good trip, but my heart breaks for the people living down there. Water on the road and under houses for a storm that is 700 miles away.
Climate change is particularly cruel to the south Louisiana coast.

Not AI as a reasonable useful definition of what AI would be. There is nothing of cognitive intelligence in creating, or modifying a video to have it show what you want.

Kangaroos actually do fight like that. That video could be real, or it could have been made by using a video of a real Kangaroo fight placing a sunset backdrop with it.

I have a special peeve about labeling advanced but otherwise ordinary computer programs as being AI. I have been interested in what would be real AI, and have thought about it a lot during my life.

My daughter picked up on that interest and has earned a degree in Cognitive Science. If we ever do manage to create a real AI, we will both be able be able to say we helped in that generational effort. My effort towards it being less than her's.

As it stands today there are no AI's in existence. I don't expect to live to see it. We've got some very advanced programing, some of those examples I've seen are impressive. my daughter might see it during her lifetime.

A real nice calm day for sailing on the North Sea. I miss getting out like that.

You will hardly ever see video of foul weather on a ship. Cameras and wind, wave, spray, with violent pitching motion don't mix very well.

What they do is film at sea during nice sea conditions, and then tell landlubbers that it's of horrible foul weather.

That's what they did in that fakey movie, The Perfect Storm. The part that got to me was they had audio on. In a real storm one would not have audio of conversations between the crew turned on. All one would actually hear would be the roar of the storm, a deafening combination of sea sounds with crashing and groaning hull sounds from within the ship, which would drown out any normal voice conversations in the galley.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom